Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:22:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686604
  • Total Topics: 118111
  • Online Today: 626
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: General Officers for the Sikh Wars in 15mm  (Read 1351 times)

Offline OB

• Mastermind
General Officers for the Sikh Wars in 15mm
« on: July 23, 2019, 09:58:20 AM »
I have written a blog about what is available in 15mm to represent Brigadiers and above for the Anglo Sikh Wars.  So far as I know I've photographed everything that's out there but please let me know if I've missed anything.

There are also a couple of period images and conversions for Hardinge and Gough that might be of interest.

https://youdonotknowthenorth.blogspot.com

Online FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
Re: General Officers for the Sikh Wars in 15mm
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2019, 12:31:11 AM »
You do some nice work - and quite a bit of research.  Though I do believe there were native officers above sergeant major in the Indian Mutiny if memory serves - and that can certainly be called into question these days!  lol

Offline OB

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2019, 12:37:40 PM »
Thanks Fifteens Away.  I enjoy the research.

I'm not aware of any commissioned native officers in the Presidency armies at the time of the Mutiny.  If you know of any I'm happy to learn.  There's Skinner of course but he was Anglo Indian and commanded Irregulars. 

Online FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2019, 01:02:19 AM »
Jemadar, Subedar, and Subedar Major were all native officer ranks in the Presidency armies - and officers (though they could not give orders to the lowest British officer even if they 'technically' outranked him).  And they rose through long service so that a Subedar Major was probably on the edge - if not over - of dotage.  At least that is my understanding.

Offline Deflatermouse

• Librarian
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2019, 09:18:57 AM »
Excellent work.
My British are from Alternative Armies Napoleonic. Mostly Prussian officers.
I need a few more Sikhs. I found the Black Hat Sikh Generals to be rather strapping lads on small horses.
I do like the QRF Lal Singh. Thank you for taking the plunge with him as I don't thin I would have thought to buy that set without pictures .

Offline OB

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2019, 10:48:53 AM »
Thanks for that Fifteens Away I knew about the long service system but I quite forgot about the rank of Subedar.  I will amend my blog accordingly.

Thanks Deflatermouse. I hoped that pic was going to be useful  and I'm glad you found it so.  You get two Lal's in the pack of four.

We do have to shop about a bit to do the Sikh Wars in 15mm.  The Prussians are a good thought.