Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 03:23:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Koyote's Age of Magic -SAGA  (Read 65883 times)

Online Ogrob

• Mastermind
Re: Koyote's Age of Magic -SAGA
« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2019, 09:27:33 AM »
Great project! I imagine this will not be to hard to turn into an Age of Crusades force, or?

Offline Gandalf the G

• Librarian
« Reply #31 on: August 31, 2019, 12:32:13 PM »
I'm loving this thread!

In the Lords of the Wild warband I've been painting, my representation of Shapeshifters are somewhat similar to yours: ordinary men hiding among the soldiers, armed with a nasty big axe. Kind of like Night Goblin Fanatics from Warhammer, but without the drugs :/

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2019, 03:31:55 PM »
interesting takes on the warbands. Certainly suits Saga's historical roots very well.

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2019, 10:41:35 PM »
Great project! I imagine this will not be to hard to turn into an Age of Crusades force, or?
Actually, I've been playing-testing an Age of Crusades Moors warband for a couple of months now.  It's the warband that I want to take to the Adepticon 2021 SAGA tournaments in Chicago.

In previous years, the Adepticon tournaments were not divided into faction specific tournaments. One could play factions from any of the source books in either the SAGA Singles or SAGA Doubles tournaments.  Last year, the tournament organizers changed the format to source book specific tournaments.  Consequently, if a participant wishes to play in multiple tournaments they must either bring multiple warbands to the event or use models that can be played using rules from different source books.

My Moors models can be played as Moors from the Age of Crusades source book.  By exchanging my crossbowmen for bowmen, they can be played as Umayyads from the Age of Vikings.  Finally, by swapping out my horsemen for camel riders (purely for the aesthetics reasons), exchanging my mounted warlord for my eagle rider warlord, and then adding a half dozen heroes and assassins, my original army can be played as Lords of the Wild from the Age of Magic book. Voila!

It doesn't seem right to play AoM without including at least one monster my warband.  It's not that monsters are SO good that you can't win without them, but rather because their rules are fun and it gives one the opportunity to paint a really impressive centerpiece for one's warband. 

I started my search looking for djinn and efreeti models so I can field a flying monster that can keep up with my flying warlord and provide him with some backup. I couldn't find a model that I both like and is large enough to reasonably represent a monster.  Eventually, I settled on an air elemental model that I purchased for $8 from a 3D printer on Etsy that I can paint as a whirlwind of sand and stone animated by my sorcerer.  I'm still on the fence with this model or even whether or not I want to include a monster in my Desert Nomad warband.  Nevertheless, the model will give me something I can use for play-testing.

Offline MrHlaine

• Student
« Reply #34 on: September 02, 2019, 10:23:56 AM »
I will closely watch this thread!
I fell in love with the work you have done for your britons and how you expanded them for AoM and can't wait to see how you paint all the new minis.

For the elemental you could probably texture it with fine sand and little rocks before painting to make it look like it's made of sand as you mentioned.

Offline PhilB

• Scientist
    • A Dragontooth Grognard
« Reply #35 on: September 02, 2019, 10:48:51 AM »
Awesome project, brilliant painting. I love the giant figure, with his terrified victim in hand. The eagle rider shows a lot of promise too.

Offline Treebeard

• Mad Scientist
  • Lazy French Painter
    • Painting Log
« Reply #36 on: September 02, 2019, 10:56:09 AM »
Looking great ! Fantastic project.

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #37 on: September 03, 2019, 07:33:45 AM »
This model is Gripping Beast's Mounted Welsh Warlord (previously sold as GB's Strathclyde Warlord).  It was originally purchased and converted to serve as the mounted version of my Irish Warlord. I added the beard, axe, and chainmail sleeve to match the model that I use for my foot Irish Warlord. 

Like many of my side projects I got distracted by another project, and never got around to finishing it.  AoM has given me the excuse to finally put some paint on this model.  My plan is to use it as a mounted Lieutenant for my Celt Horde warband.

Offline MrHlaine

• Student
« Reply #38 on: September 03, 2019, 11:56:14 AM »
I really love the work you do. Another great mini.

Do you have/plan on making any kind of step by step or video tutorial on how you paint your minis? The final results is really lovely.

Do you use some knd of blacklining to make the colors pop more? If yes, how do you do it?

Keep feeding us these hobby treats please!

Offline Dentatus

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Stalker7.com
« Reply #39 on: September 03, 2019, 02:53:38 PM »
Gorgeous as usual. And that Air Elemental is a great find. Painting it as a sandstorm is just the trick. 

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #40 on: September 03, 2019, 05:44:48 PM »
I really love the work you do. Another great mini.

Do you have/plan on making any kind of step by step or video tutorial on how you paint your minis? The final results is really lovely.

Do you use some knd of blacklining to make the colors pop more? If yes, how do you do it?

Keep feeding us these hobby treats please!
Thanks.

In general, I use inks to "black-line".  I use Nuln Oil for metal, Reikland Fleshshade for flesh, and Agrax Earthshade for just about everything else.

You can find some mini-tutorials on pages 4 and 8 of my Britons thread in the Medieval Adventures forum.

Offline PhilB

• Scientist
    • A Dragontooth Grognard
« Reply #41 on: September 03, 2019, 06:17:26 PM »
Great painting! Thanks for the pointers. I usually do dark shadows by undercoating in black, and then  leaving gaps unpainted, but it looks like having an ink wash to emphasize shadows is a much faster and more effective technique.

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #42 on: September 03, 2019, 10:55:05 PM »
The next model on my paint bench is the Victrix Celtic chariot.  To make painting the various components a bit easier I have divided the model into 5 sub-assemblies and a base. 

The plan is to include two of these models in my Horde warband. One will represent my Warlord mounted on a Beast and the other will be an actual Horde War Chariot.  My plan for distinguishing the two is for the Warlord to be equipped with mail, shield, and cloak (as pictured above), while the warrior in the War Chariot will be more lightly armored and a bit less impressive.  Since the War Chariot is equipped with javelins, I'll equip the model with two javelin quivers and the warrior with a javelin in each hand.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2019, 03:32:22 PM by Koyote »

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #43 on: September 04, 2019, 11:22:53 AM »
the 3d printed elemental is fab - the technology really is poised to sweep all before it I get the feeling - even at the 'home' level.

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #44 on: September 05, 2019, 04:40:30 PM »
My chariot's base measures roughly 4" x 2", which works fine for the Horde War Chariot because its rules use the base size for Monsters.  However, as someone on another forum pointed out, the maximum size for a Beast's base is 80mm x 50mm, which translates to 3.15" x 1.97".  In order to use the chariot model to represent my Warlord mounted on a Beast, I'll need to put the model on a smaller base. Doh! 

SAGA players know that you (almost) always ' round up' so I've taken the liberty to "round up" (nod-nod wink-wink) the dimensions to 3.25" x 2".  Fortunately for me, the dimensions appear to work for Victrix Celtic Chariot, which compared to many other 28mm chariots, is a bit on the small side.  A fact I attribute to Victrix's decision to remain true to the historical evidence of chariot dimensions and the ponies and small horses employed by the ancient Celts of the British Isles.

Disaster averted.

« Last Edit: September 05, 2019, 04:42:50 PM by Koyote »