Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:38:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Koyote's Age of Magic -SAGA  (Read 64646 times)

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
Re: Koyote's Age of Magic -SAGA
« Reply #90 on: December 02, 2019, 06:50:24 PM »
@Ogrob:  The Fireforge Living Dead plastics are amazing kits.  The mold lines are minimal and the pieces fit together nicely.  I was surprised by how quickly I was able clean up and assemble each model.  The detail isn't as sharp as GW plastics, but it's still quite good.  The price per model for Living Dead Warriors comes in around $2 USD, whereas GW's Skeleton Warriors are $3 USD per model and GW's Grave Guard (skeletons in heavy armor) $4 USD per model.  The price per model for Living Dead Knights comes in around $4.50 USD, whereas GW's Black Knights are $7 USD per model.   Living Dead Peasants are only about 30 cents per model cheaper than their GW counterparts, but Fireforge models are MUCH better than the dated GW zombies.

@syrinx0:  The wolves were the last addition to my AoM Celts.  One of these days I'll post some group shots.  The Ogres, which will be part of my AoM Desert Nomads army, won't see paint for some time.  I'm currently painting my Moors/Umayaad warband.  Once I've finished painting the models I need to play this warband in Age of Crusades and Age of Vikings, then I'll paint the models I need to play it in Age of Magic.

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #91 on: December 03, 2019, 03:21:50 AM »
A busy painting schedule but one I am sure you will meet.  Thanks for all the in progress shots too.
2024: B: 0; P: 148; 2023: B:77; P:37;

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #92 on: December 24, 2019, 06:52:47 AM »
My Necromancer (Warlord) was mounted on a 40mm base and stands taller than my hearthguard cavalry, but it felt a bit wimpy to be a counts-as Necromancer on a Beast, so I transferred the model to a larger base and gave him a "pet".  The model is still no Dieter Helsnicht (old school Warhammer fans may get that reference), but I feel that the larger base and zombie bear better represent the model's improved stat line and stays true to my 'cursed forest' theme.

The zombie bear is the Haunted Bear from Great Escape Games' Dead Man's Hand model line. Below is a shot of the Haunted Bear from a different angle.

Offline batu

• Scientist
    • My Stuff:
« Reply #93 on: December 25, 2019, 12:08:37 AM »
Great to see an update! I wish you Merry Christmas and I hope to see some more progress soon :)

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #94 on: December 25, 2019, 01:09:17 AM »
Excellent thread  :-*
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #95 on: January 12, 2020, 12:32:02 AM »
My first tabletop army was fully painted 2nd Edition WFB Orc and Goblin army.  Over time, a small contingent of forest goblins made its way into this army, likely somewhere around 4th Edition.  That army, and all but two of its models, are now long gone, but I still have a soft spot in my heart for the Greenskins, and in particular, for the Forest Goblins, so in February of 2019 when I saw Shieldwolf Miniatures' Forest Goblin Kickstarter, I knew I had to have a box. 

My initial plan was to buy a single box and use the minis for a Forest Goblin Mordheim Warband, but once SAGA: Age of Magic was released, I realized that I could do bigger and better things with the diminutive greenskin savages.  The obvious choice of factions for AoM greenskins is the Horde, but I already have a painted, AoM Horde army (my Celts).   I may use the Forest Goblins as a Horde warband, using GW's enormous Arachnarok spider model as The War Monster legendary unit, but I want to use them primarily as a Masters of the Underearth warband. 

Unlike many of their goblin cousins, Forest Goblins aren't subterranean dwellers, so to satisfy my need to create a backstory for each of my warbands, I need to connect forest dwelling greenskins to the troglodytic labyrinths of the under-earth. 

Clearly, the Forest Goblins particular style of primitive dress and stone weapons was inspired, at least in part, by Mesoamerican cultures (e.g. Mayans, Toltecs, Aztecs, etc.).  When I was in Belize, I went cave river-tubing into a massive limestone cavern.  Our guide told us that the ancient Mayans believed that these caves and others like them were entrances to the underworld where they could commune with their gods and beseech them for good harvests and rain. 

So, by pulling together the strands of GW fantasy fiction and Mayan history, I've decided that this particular tribe of Forest Goblins dwells within a massive limestone cavern in the heart of a tropical forest.  They do spend a good deal of time in the forests, hunting, raiding, and getting up no-good, but the limestone caves serve as their village-fortress and sanctuary.

Below is what I've assembled so far.  I still have a lot of models to assemble before I can test-play the warband, but since I'm simultaneous working on my Desert Nomads and Undead, I'm in no rush.

The trolls are GW's Fellwater Troggoths.  I've incorporated these models into the warband because they are some of my favorite GW models, and I wan to experiment using them as a Mutant Aberration legendary unit.

The giant spider is a 3D printed resin model that I purchased from a seller on Etsy.  It's called a Dread Spider.  It and its rider will be a Warlord on a beast.

Except for the blowguns, the rest of the models and bits are from the Shieldwolf Forest Goblin Kickstarter.  The off-white resin models are stretch goal extras from the Kickstarter.

The Masters of the Undearth battleboard has this great ability called Experimental Techniques.  It's a shooting ability that causes any modified roll of 6 to count as 2 hits instead of 1.  Crossbows add 1 to the result of a shooting attack die roll, so crossbows make this ability even better.  Understandably, the Shieldwolf Forest Goblin sprues do not include crossbows, so I needed a counts-as alternative that goes with my Mesoamerican goblin theme.  I chose blowpipes and poisoned darts.   I sourced the blowguns from some GW plastic Skinks that I bought on eBay.  The Skink arms are a bit skinny and have only 3 fingers instead of 4, but this should be easy enough to fix with some greenstuff.

The Masters of the Underearth's lieutenant is called an Alchemist.  The Alchemist has a multi-shot ranged attack that has the potential of inflicting an additional fatigue on its targets.  The goblin firing the three arrows (Legolas style) will be my Alchemist,  Instead of tossing chemicals or explosives at his enemies, he uses a bow and a fast acting poisons that causes a quick, horrific death that demoralizes his foes.

Online Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #96 on: January 12, 2020, 12:37:07 AM »
Cool! Didn't back the kickstarter, and had quite forgotten about it. I think this is the first I've seen these models in the wild.

Offline Gandalf the G

• Librarian
« Reply #97 on: January 12, 2020, 06:41:43 AM »

The Masters of the Undearth battleboard has this great ability called Experimental Techniques.  It's a shooting ability that causes any modified roll of 6 to count as 2 hits instead of 1.  Crossbows add 1 to the result of a shooting attack die roll, so crossbows make this ability even better.

Check the FAQ regarding this ability. Unmodified 6's count as 7, and thus do not grant the extra hit, so it is not really better on crossbows than other weapons.
 Did you realize that there is a Spider Rider legendary warband for the Lords of the Wild?
Anyway, it is all looking very very good and fun!

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #98 on: January 12, 2020, 07:43:11 PM »
@Ogrob:  Shieldwolf started shipping the Kickstarter goodies in December. I got mine a week ago. 

Overall, the quality of the plastics is quite good. I'd rank the sharpness better than Frostgrave sprues, but not as good as Fireforge's Forgotten World or GW sprues. 

The quality of the resin hero models is inconsistent and not so great.  The detail isn't as sharp as the plastics, and seems to vary from model to model and bit to bit. The white resin components have small air bubbles. Also, the resin models are noticeably taller and bulkier than the plastics.  Side by side, the models look like models sculpted at different scales.

@Gandalf the G:  Doh!  You're correct. Oh well.  Overall, crossbows are still a pretty good choice.

I saw the The Arachnaean Jungle list.  It's a bit too niche for me. The only models that you can field are Warlord, Sorcerer, and Warriors, all mounted on spiders, and up to two non-flying monsters. Because of the model requirements, I expect that it's not a list that will get much play.

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #99 on: January 22, 2020, 12:43:07 AM »
I've assembled another unit of gobbos.  This will be a unit of 10 Warriors armed with heavy weapons. 

With the exception of the meat shank that I attached to the banner (which is from GW's 40K Kroot kit), all of these models are 'out of the box'.  I used small greenstuff wedges to reposition some of the arms, and a hobby knife and glue to straighten many of the model's left wrists, which are bent slightly to accept a shield.

The resin model is the Master Butcher mini from the Kickstarter.   He'll be the unit leader, which like the standard and musician has no in-game effect in SAGA: Age of Magic, but I'm an old-time WFB player, and old habits die hard. Plus, adding these types of models to a unit gives one an opportunity and the inspiration to personalize a unit.  Here, the presence of the Butcher in the unit gave me the idea to add the meat shank to the standard (the "Butcher's Banner").  And now it's not just another mob of generic greenskins, it's the 'Butcher's Boys'.

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #100 on: January 22, 2020, 04:23:20 AM »
Its the thoughtful little touches that make it fun to model.   :)

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #101 on: January 22, 2020, 12:02:47 PM »
I hope you paint Bill with a glass eye so he can tap his knife against it.
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #102 on: January 22, 2020, 03:28:04 PM »
I hope you paint Bill with a glass eye so he can tap his knife against it.
That is a brilliant idea! Consider it done.

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #103 on: January 26, 2020, 06:18:45 PM »
For as long as anyone in The Tribe can remember, there has been a fierce rivalry, bordering on hatred,  between the Bashas and the Slashas clans.  The primary point of contention is what's the best way to kill prey (there is no word for "foe" or "enemy" in the language of the Tribe -anything that must be killed, for any reason, is "prey").  The Bashas contend that the best way to bring down prey is to bash it with a blunt weapon, like a club or mallet.  Conversely, the Slashas contend that the cutting blade is the only way to go. 

With the exception of the drum and horn and the extra bits I hung from each banner, all of these bits are from the Forest Goblin kit. In a few instances, I used greestuff wedges in the models' armpits to reposition the arms.  My next step will be to revisit all the goblin infantry models and use greenstuff to fill in gaps and re-sculpt the blowgun models' right biceps.

Bashas

Slashas

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #104 on: February 02, 2020, 06:48:31 AM »
I finished most of the greenstuff-work on my forest goblins, just in time for my first game with them tomorrow.

Below you can see my work on the unit of gobbos armed with blowguns (counts-as crossbows),  Each model's right arm comes from GW's Skink kit.  Skink arms are much skinnier than goblin arms, so I used greenstuff to bulk-up the Skink arms.  Skinks have only three fingers, so my original plan was to add a fourth finger to the hands holding the blowguns, but instead, I'll name this unit the Three-Finger Clan and call it good. 

The champions and musicians of Bashas and Slashas clans also needed some greenstuff-work.

Now that I've finished assembly and gs-work, it's time to get to work on the bases.

For a while now I've had my eye on Citadel's Barbed Bracken kit, but until now, I've not had a project that called for this kind of foliage.  I'll use the bracken either in addition to or in lieu of the grass clumps that I normally add to my bases.

For the larger models, like my giant spider and troggoths, I've purchased some resin stumps from Green Stuff World.