Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:20:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686614
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 777
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Normans - a slow project  (Read 6990 times)

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Re: Normans - a slow project
« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2019, 10:53:11 PM »
Some absolute gems... I particularly like the care you’ve shown to weather their kit (especially the shields) ...they look like they’ve just walked off of a battlefield.

Offline levied troop

• Mastermind
« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2019, 08:09:25 AM »
Agreed, saving those to the inspiration folder, they look superb.
The League of Gentlemen Anti Alchemists
(We Turn Gold into Lead)

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #32 on: November 23, 2019, 10:31:11 AM »
I'm holding out for the Victrix plastic Normans now to expand the project although I may snaffle up the odd Perry Norman/1st Crusade dude along the way.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #33 on: December 20, 2019, 02:48:03 PM »
Hooray! A few more. The fella with the padded hauberk I'll probably use with the milites.

Offline majorsmith

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #34 on: December 20, 2019, 04:01:46 PM »
Excellent always loved the citadel normans

Offline Michi

• Galactic Brain
  • Hoist the colours!
    • Tableterror
« Reply #35 on: December 20, 2019, 04:48:12 PM »
Impressive work and very close to my heart - I like to see Norman armies being raised! :D :D

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #36 on: December 21, 2019, 10:06:34 AM »
These are lovely, Cubs. Gritty, dingy and characterful.

But being such venerable (and therefore probably quite diminutive) figures, I’m a little sceptical they’re going to sit comfortably alongside those lovely looking new Victrix plastic Normans with their slightly exaggerated detail and dynamic poses... Well, we’ll see. Fingers crossed :)

I’ve just succumbed online to the Victrix Saxons, so will have a better idea once I have them in my sticky paws...

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #37 on: December 21, 2019, 10:25:36 AM »
They'll be fine, don't worry, everything's fine. Besides, I could always claim they're slightly shorter Italians.

Offline Michi

• Galactic Brain
  • Hoist the colours!
    • Tableterror
« Reply #38 on: December 21, 2019, 04:53:15 PM »
I’m a little sceptical they’re going to sit comfortably alongside those lovely looking new Victrix plastic Normans with their slightly exaggerated detail and dynamic poses... Well, we’ll see. Fingers crossed :)

15kg of mail armour and 5-10kg shield and side arms will most likely rather cause those depicted poses than dynamic shock troopers, I guess...  :D

Offline Baron von Wreckedoften

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #39 on: December 28, 2019, 09:51:25 AM »
I've been very ntrigued by this thread, as I have a SAGA Norman force composed of Perry Crusade figures, with some Crusader Miniatures characters and "swords for hire" Flemish spearmen (as Perry don't make any figures in akheton).  I am - and have been for a few years now - in the process of painting them, and as a spiritual Geordie (now there's two words you seldom see next to each other!!!) I am going for a black and white theme for their shields and what passes for livery in the 11th Century, with the mercenaries being sponsored by Flemish & Newcastle Breweries and sporting the "Newcy Broon" blue star.

Very impressed by what you've done to the shields.  Somebody (you?) put up a very good tutorial on the Workbench about "weathering" shields, which I intend to use, although I was thinking of using a tool to gouge out some sword/axe cuts, to make them look a bit more 3D.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2019, 09:55:57 AM by Baron von Wreckedoften »
No plan survives first contact with the dice.

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #40 on: December 28, 2019, 12:16:36 PM »
Very impressed by what you've done to the shields.  Somebody (you?) put up a very good tutorial on the Workbench about "weathering" shields, which I intend to use, although I was thinking of using a tool to gouge out some sword/axe cuts, to make them look a bit more 3D.

I don't remember putting a tute on here, but I suppose I could have done and then forgotten about it! I don't want to take credit for someone else's good work mind. I did do an article for … I don't remember if it was WI or WS&S … about shields and banners a few years back though.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #41 on: December 28, 2019, 08:46:49 PM »
Yes, I remember the shield weathering tutorial... Hmmm... I had a feeling it was one of our German pals. Moiterei or Lt Hazel perhaps?
Could well have been you though Cubs. You do paint a mean weathered shield 8)

Offline Baron von Wreckedoften

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #42 on: December 28, 2019, 09:57:51 PM »
Just checked and it was indeed Lt Hazel.  (Thanks, Captain Blood - love your Perry WotR figures, btw!)