Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:36:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Compatibility between Old West MDF trains  (Read 2133 times)

Offline LeRatierBretonnien

• Assistant
Compatibility between Old West MDF trains
« on: July 27, 2019, 02:02:18 PM »
Hi !

I am wondering if steam trains in MDF from Sarissa, 4Ground and TTCombat are combatible (meaning : do they have the same width between wheels) ?

Any ideas, facts or experience with that ?

Thanks !

Offline Poiter50

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Compatibility between Old West MDF trains
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2019, 01:05:05 AM »
Interested in responses as I assembled tracks from Sarissa recently as well as their Pannier train.
Cheers,
Poiter50

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2019, 09:48:28 AM »
Personally avoid TT combat they're good for many things but railways not so much.
When I was musing on Railway tracks and engines (before I gave up and made my own.)
I seem to remember the full track width of 4Ground being around 4.3 cm and Sarissa being around 5cm.
If I was pushed to make a choice on overall quality and not cost .I wouldn't use either .
However 4Ground in theory has the more potential (and the better quality engine and rolling stock.although the engine is a fiddly build) As they all ready have a sideline in railway modelling. As soon as it Dawns on them that they only have to up scale from HO to 28mm then it will be the one you look at first .(and it is expanding the current offering in 28mm so it might just have dawned on them)
If no one has a more useful answer I'm popping to Partizan in a couple of weeks I'm more than happy to stand their with a tape measure and compare both Wheel bases and rail widths.

Mark.

• Assistant
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2019, 10:46:54 AM »
Thanks for this detailed answer !

I own already some Sarissa stuff, and as i need to build 2 trains + wagons, i was wondering if i can mix steam engines from Sarissa/4G and wagons from TTCombat, in order to reduce the costs (ie need up to 6 wagons ...). Hence my question :)

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2019, 11:19:38 AM »
If you need more wagons just use one as a template for the others as and knock them up in card.

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2019, 08:53:51 AM »
The TT Combat trains are embarrassingly toy-like, and bear little resemblance to actual trains.

4Grounds are probably the best, as far as MDF train kits go, but are strictly restricted to the old west.

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline Luisito

• Librarian
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2019, 03:24:40 PM »
Hi

I want to know if it is possible to use O scale track with the 4Grounds trains? The o scale tracks are 1.25 (31,75mm) apart. Its the distance between the tracks.

thanks

Luis

• Assistant
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2019, 07:59:25 PM »
Hi.

I think it should work, the distance between Sarissa tracks is approx. ~30mm.

• Assistant
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2019, 06:01:38 PM »
I auto-complete my own post :) : due to the price, i finally ordered a 3 wagons + 1 engine from TTCombat.
They more or less fit in width with Sarissa models, so it is fine for me.

The wagons are pretty, but avoid the engine model, which is very very basic and not really nice.