Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 04:08:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689697
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: (Kickstarter) STL Files, not mine...  (Read 983 times)

Offline gibby64

• Mad Scientist
  • Temple of the West
    • Temple of the West
(Kickstarter) STL Files, not mine...
« on: July 30, 2019, 07:41:51 PM »
Wanted to post this in here as there are some really cool buildings that fit this genre... the train and steam paddle ship are some stretch goals we definitely hope to hit... I'm just a backer spreading the word!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/3d-print-terrain/american-civil-war-printable-terrain-tabletop-and-modeling?ref=user_menu
Owner, Temple of the West
www.TempleWest.co

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
Re: (Kickstarter) STL Files, not mine...
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2019, 03:46:09 AM »
Someone is going to have to explain to me why there is a need for a Kickstarter for creating such a file.  Granted, I'm not that knowledgeable on the whole 3D printer front but I would imagine it can't cost much to create a file and then sell it.  Or am I missing some major point here? 

Genuinely mystified and curious at the same time.

Offline gibby64

• Mad Scientist
  • Temple of the West
    • Temple of the West
Re: (Kickstarter) STL Files, not mine...
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2019, 02:35:26 PM »
It's  the amount of time it takes to create the files... this guy creates terrain for different time periods, if you are gaming one of those time periods it's worth it to buy his work. His files are very good and print well. He goes to kickstarter to sell his files and if there is enough interest in the initial set, he sets stretch goals like a board game to create additional models. It's just a sales avenue for STL creators....