Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 09:22:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690565
  • Total Topics: 118337
  • Online Today: 732
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Slightly Cracked Colonials & Lost Marbles  (Read 2552 times)

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
Slightly Cracked Colonials & Lost Marbles
« on: July 31, 2019, 06:13:08 AM »
Say, what?

I decided, who knows why, to last evening evaluate my holdings - my Slightly Cracked Holdings, as in figures collected (and mostly unpainted, alas, though also with quite a substantial portion prepped and primed for painting - thankfully!). 

Now, mind you, there is quite a variety in the overall mix so that games never have to be the same - though some can be similar by intent.  I can do turn of the century and a bit later all the way back to, well, Lost Worlds of a sort with what I have laid in and set aside.

There are nearly 1280 men and nearly 250 women and children, not to mention a couple score casualties.  And then there are the nearly 100 animals -  all told, north of 1700 figures.  For what was meant to be a minor distraction period for lighter fare.  The lighter fare element has certainly survived but that minor distraction is at risk with numbers like that.

Tarzan?  Sure, four different versions of the gentleman, and Jane and Boy, too, in as many iterations.  La and a variant seductress is out there in multiple iterations and with 'appropriate' companions.  And one of my favorite creations from my febrile brain is Gina Lobsterbrigitta, hubba-hubba bubba!  Even some Indiana Jones look alikes in a few variations are floating about and Mbonga, or something like him, and more.

None of the above takes into account my Plains of Africa animals that tops 900 beasties of various sizes and quantities, ungulates and pachyderms, feathered and scaly critters and the like.

Thus the other part of the title of this thread.

Please to all watch your step because I'm quite worried there are some lost marbles rolling around creating a hazard to your footfall.

But you know what I'm missing - some proper aeronautic devices for the early (even very late 19th) 20th century - like biplanes and China Clippers (am I mixing my metaphors now?)?

And, no, it most certainly is not April 1st, there ain't no Tom Foolery going on here.  This is gospel.  Oh, yeah, that reminds me, there are missionaries tagging along with the various big game hunters with their gun bearers and plenty of bearers, the great find was the group with the bunches of bananas.  Coolness.

Variety is the spice of life.

Again, watch out for those marbles!   ;)

Offline Deedles

• Mastermind
    • One man & his brushes
Re: Slightly Cracked Colonials & Lost Marbles
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2019, 07:26:04 AM »
Ha ha ha

I think I found some marbles near my own...i direct  you to my latest Sudan collection post

Your gonna be busy for a long time!
« Last Edit: July 31, 2019, 06:38:18 PM by Deedles »
Cheers
Deedles

One day the lead mountain will be gone.... one day

http://onemanhisbrushes.blogspot.co.uk/
http://blazingdice.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2019, 03:39:03 AM »
I just added 300 Sudan figures to my collection (Deedles fantastic pictures were an inspiration I could not resist), so I won't cast any stones.   That is a rather impressive number of animals though.
2024: B: 2220; P: 148; 2023: B:77; P:37;

Offline Deedles

• Mastermind
    • One man & his brushes
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2019, 03:02:28 PM »
I just added 300 Sudan figures to my collection (Deedles fantastic pictures were an inspiration I could not resist), so I won't cast any stones.   That is a rather impressive number of animals though.

I think he’s secretly just building a zoo

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2019, 03:15:22 AM »
Deedles, Deedles, Deedles, let's at least get it right - I'm building a Safari Park, not a zoo!    lol lol lol

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2019, 10:26:04 AM »
I saw three elephants and a rhino at the safari park the other day (plus some kind of exotic-looking antelopes and cattle), and I didn't even pay to get in. All thanks to the railway line going right past the park. I thought of you, Fifteens.

It's an odd experience to look from the window of a British train and see such things.

With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Deedles

• Mastermind
    • One man & his brushes
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2019, 12:01:40 PM »
Deedles, Deedles, Deedles, let's at least get it right - I'm building a Safari Park, not a zoo!    lol lol lol

Split the difference, a menagerie

Offline v_lazy_dragon

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2019, 01:43:28 PM »
I saw three elephants and a rhino at the safari park the other day (plus some kind of exotic-looking antelopes and cattle), and I didn't even pay to get in. All thanks to the railway line going right past the park. I thought of you, Fifteens.

It's an odd experience to look from the window of a British train and see such things.
...That'll be West Midlands Safari park then! Even more bizarre to be sat watching heffalumps whilst a steam train chugs past in the mid-distance :)
Xander
Army painters thread: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=56540.msg671536#new
WinterApoc thread: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=50815.0

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2019, 01:57:48 PM »
Indeed, it was a steam train on the Severn Valley Railway, and I was sitting in an old Victorian-style carriage. A splendid way to spend the day.

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2019, 02:56:35 PM »
Well, now that sounds cool.  The missus is making noise about visiting London in a couple of years when we retire and I could go for a combo steam train ride and a visit to a Safari park.  And I gotta get to Stonehenge - there's this little kid inside of me who would be mad if I didn't go.  Is that the same Safari park as Woburn Abbey or a different one?

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2019, 03:32:28 PM »
No it's a different one. The West Midlands Safari Park, which is by Bewdley, near Birmingham. I've never been to Woburn Abbey, so I'm not sure if it has a steam railway running past it, but it probably doesn't. The Severn Valley Railway is well worth a trip if you are in the area. Though if that sort of thing floats your boat, I think there are other heritage railways nearer to where you will be.

Of course, being from the Americas, all the distances will probably seem trivial. To me, London and the south east are a long way away. To someone from the States or Canada, I'm sure it would seem like they are just on the doorstep.  :)

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2019, 02:00:05 AM »
Checked it out.  Here in California a two hour trip to cover a hundred miles or so (similar from Heathrow to the Safari Park per Google) is a not uncommon weekend trip - and that's one way.  Of course, in some parts that hundred miles is more like a 3 or 4 hour trip!  Yuck!!   Just did a five hour round trip last weekend for father's birthday.  Of course we only have 40 millions folk here in the world's fifth largest economy - sorry about that UK (in sixth place now I think) - compared to closer to 70 million in the UK so maybe you are more congested.  I doubt you have our high speed freeways to the extent we do. 

The real challenge is trying to fit in enough of what I'd like to see and also keep the shopaholic happy in the compressed time that vacations always seem to be - even in retirement (funds, need to keep the homestead in shape and all).

Offline War In 15MM

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2019, 04:40:33 AM »
FifteensAway, given the time period you are looking at, you might want to consider finding or putting together a hot-air balloon.

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2019, 06:24:58 AM »
Richard, a hot air ballon can certainly add to the collection but I really want a good biplane in 15 mm and I'd love to find a suitable China Clipper!