Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:14:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686604
  • Total Topics: 118111
  • Online Today: 626
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: SPQR - NEW FAQ from Warlord  (Read 9412 times)

Offline Mad Lord Snapcase

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Snapcase Hall, Much-Piddling, Devon
    • The Life and Times of Mad Lord Snapcase
Re: SPQR - NEW FAQ from Warlord
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2019, 03:33:49 PM »
On an unrelated note, how are people finding the SPQR resin minis? The bonus goat sacrifice model that came with the book is a nice sculpt (nicer than the painted photos suggested IMO), but the material seems very bendy to me...

It is a nice sculpt, feels bendy but paints up OK, I think.

Offline Mark M Down

• Librarian
« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2019, 05:38:11 PM »
The resin figures seem quite nice. The detail is good. You are supposed to be able to paint straight onto the figure without an undercoat. However, I undercoated mine. I did not spend ages painting it. Just a base coat with a highlight. The figure was quite flexible and light. I feel it is unlikely to break if dropped.

Offline jcspqr

• Librarian
« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2019, 09:17:32 PM »
The figures look nice.  The rules look like they have absolutely no tactical nuance or anything that is designed to make this an ancients game as opposed to any other dice rolling exercise.  Might as well play Risk.

Offline peleset

• Librarian
« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2019, 07:47:25 AM »
Thank the Gods he's holding a knife!
Thief, Reaver, Slayer.

Offline Johnp4000

• Librarian
« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2019, 05:24:53 PM »
The figures look nice.  The rules look like they have absolutely no tactical nuance or anything that is designed to make this an ancients game as opposed to any other dice rolling exercise.  Might as well play Risk.

I think you could apply this comment to many of the current rush of small unit/ low figure count games, Lion Rampant is hardly historical  but still produces a reasonable game. I have noticed with the Vloggers on youtube the rules are being given a much more favourable response.Although the way they are trying to learn the game by playing with Maxed out warbands is producing some very dull looking games. To anyone who has actually played the game, can it be expanded and improved by using more points?

One thing I noticed is that Warlord is now producing two sets of Legionaries, the SPQR set, 12 figures for £15 while still selling the HC set, 24 figures for £20. are they the same figures?

Offline Whitwort Stormbringer

• Scientist
« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2019, 05:47:46 PM »
One thing I noticed is that Warlord is now producing two sets of Legionaries, the SPQR set, 12 figures for £15 while still selling the HC set, 24 figures for £20. are they the same figures?

As far as I can tell, yes.

Other than model count & price, the only difference appears to be that the SPQR set includes a unit card...

Offline jcspqr

• Librarian
« Reply #36 on: August 13, 2019, 05:55:15 PM »
My comment above is probably a bit harsh, but I remain disappointed with the current genre of "small, simple" rules.  The small part I get as we don't always have time for a big game.  The simple part though I think has been taken past its useful extreme.  I would think that with all the time, money (and presumably research) that we put into collecting and painting a new army, we would want the rules to at least reflect a difference between Armies unit capabllities as opposed to just having everything being an extra die to add to a random equation.

Offline seldon

• Scientist
« Reply #37 on: August 13, 2019, 07:28:42 PM »
Funny, one of our fears with CLASH of spears is that by saying that is for skirmish games people might think that they are the quick type of beer and pretzel rules , which is perfectly fine...nothing wrong with beers or pretzels, but CLASH is more like a Bolt Action or Chain of Command...

Hopefully we’ll be able to set the expectations correctly before release..

I’ve seen comments like , pff 40 figures, 1.5-2 hs .. that is not skirmish...

But for ancients, units of 6-8 figures representing 6 or 8 soldiers really should be call skirmished , right ?

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #38 on: August 13, 2019, 08:02:13 PM »
But for ancients, units of 6-8 figures representing 6 or 8 soldiers really should be call skirmished , right ?

Aye, what most people call a skirmish (in wargaming turns) is really only a punch-up.
My current project...Classic Wargame - An experiment in 24" of wargaming!

https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=140633.new#new

Offline jcspqr

• Librarian
« Reply #39 on: August 13, 2019, 08:19:16 PM »
Small "units" in a skirmish game are OK.  But if you are defining something as a "unit" in game terms, then that "unit" should have a front, flanks and rear and those concepts should have consequences in terms of game play movement and combat.  Likewise  there should be a differentiated consequnce (movement and combat) if you are wearing armour of differnt degrees as well as some differentiation in terms of the capabilities and limitations of different categories of weapons for shooting and melee.   A skirmish game is fine, just give it some real substance beyond a flash marketing scheme.

Offline seldon

• Scientist
« Reply #40 on: August 13, 2019, 09:02:34 PM »
Aye, what most people call a skirmish (in wargaming turns) is really only a punch-up.

hahaha...

good one

punch up
skirmish
small battles
large battles
grand scale

:)

Offline seldon

• Scientist
« Reply #41 on: August 13, 2019, 09:04:40 PM »
Small "units" in a skirmish game are OK.  But if you are defining something as a "unit" in game terms, then that "unit" should have a front, flanks and rear and those concepts should have consequences in terms of game play movement and combat.  Likewise  there should be a differentiated consequnce (movement and combat) if you are wearing armour of differnt degrees as well as some differentiation in terms of the capabilities and limitations of different categories of weapons for shooting and melee.   A skirmish game is fine, just give it some real substance beyond a flash marketing scheme.

Agreed, in essence your decisions have to drive the action rather than just being irrelevant intervals between rolling dice

A skirmish level game has to be tactical and intense reflecting the different combat style of the soldiers involved.

You should be able to lose because you made mistakes !

Of course that is just my gaming preferences... I respect others..
« Last Edit: August 13, 2019, 09:07:47 PM by seldon »

Offline Arrigo

• Mastermind
  • errare humanum est, perseverare diabolicum est
    • Forward HQ my new blog where you can laugh at my crappy photos!
« Reply #42 on: August 14, 2019, 10:47:58 AM »
You should be able to lose because you made mistakes !

Tell that to some players...

One of the issue is that sometime terms that are used in general wargaming have more to do with GW conventions than real definitions, Skirmish is one of them. They are quite nebulous... As a game genre (opposed as a military term) I am fine with the word being nebulous. SPQR is definitaly skirmish, and has several good points in it. I think some decisions could have made to made it better (IE: suiting my tastes). I also thin that it had been written specifically to be as much as WHesque as possible. For example why do not have defensive armour being a modifier in a single combat roll rather than another roll on its own? Of course this could be tweaked quite easily. Another could have be giving longer weapons a hit first capability, again easy tweak.

Probably my only major gripe is the unit combat mechanic. In a more abstract came like Lion Rampant the unit is the basic element so assigning an attack score to it makes sense, here the idea that all minions had a chance to attack is counter-intuitive. The warband issue is that if I charge with my 30 gauls in a single line you have the same effect that if I charge in  a mass, but relative to the table my flanks are less exposed.  You can also argue that a single line of people yelling and running toward you is not that threatening.  Of course there are possible tweaks...

Other than that, no major gripes. The army lists are sufficently flexible and allow you to create also new forces. People complained no Carthaginians... okay, gauls... check, iberians... check, nummidians, check, cretan archers... check, balearic slingers, check. No liby-poeni infantry... use the greek mercenaries profile. Problem solved.

As for Antonio's gauls vs orks... you can make the case that it is quite obvious. Fantasy wargaming has been influenced by historical assumptions for ages. To a certain extent Orks are indeed what Phil Barker would call a 'fast warband' so yes, they are supposed to play similarly to the Gauls, at least if we follow Romans' views of them.

"Put Grant straight in"

for pretty tanks and troops: http://forwardhq.blogspot.com

Offline Jimmyg

• Bookworm
« Reply #43 on: August 14, 2019, 09:33:03 PM »
Can I just add my thoughts after reading and watching games and seeing folk saying it’s just a bucket of dice game and then packing it in can I remind folk the title is SPQR a clash of hero’s.
Romans it’s said can’t beat the Gauls but they can. Use your hero to challenge the Gaul hero he can’t refuse to fight and if he is beaten the Gauls have to take a WtF if they lose they retreat.
Now I maybe wrong in my entire supposition and if I am ok sorry all, but if not those I’ve seen on YouTube haven’t done this and IMHO have missed the point of the game.
Hope I’m right.

Offline jcspqr

• Librarian
« Reply #44 on: August 16, 2019, 12:59:29 AM »
Just saw a post on TMP commenting on the ability of phalangites to have ranged shooting attacks.  But only to the front!   God I hope that is just a mistake by the guys playing.  Otherwise this goes from just a poor set of rules to a ridiculously bad set of non-historic rules.