Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 10:01:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: city Dweller Martians question  (Read 2952 times)

Offline Grimm

• Two-time LPL Champion (Season 2 and 3) Supporting Adventurer
  • The Colonial Tales Winner
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Grimms-Hangar on Facebook
city Dweller Martians question
« on: June 28, 2009, 10:00:26 PM »
I all
I have see the  city Dweller Martians on the parroom station webside.
I read all about them on the side and wonder if they are a part of a fiction .
Also some other figures looks familiar to me where did I find more Information about the hole thing.

Also did enyone have figures fron the  city Dweller and can tell me about the size of them .

thanks Grimm
ttps://www.facebook.com/pages/Grimms-Hangar/196455560521708

Offline theoldschool

• Scientist
Re: city Dweller Martians question
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2009, 11:19:29 PM »
Grimm
I think they are from the John Carter of Mars books by Edgar Rice Burroughs (of Tarzan fame). Barsoom is what the natives call Mars. I believe Pixar has announced plans to do a film.
I don't have any of the figures, but I have seen some. From what I can remember they are a reasonable fit with the less 'heroic' sized 28s. Hope that helps.
Pat

Offline Skrapwelder

• Mastermind
  • Pluviophile
    • What Ho, Cythereans!
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2009, 11:42:51 PM »
The Paroom Station City Dwellers I believe were created for the Valor Steel and Flesh rules. They bear a good resemblance to the Space 1889 Martians. They are a slim 28 mm.

Offline Heldrak

• The Dark Elf
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • LPL IV Bronze Medalist
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2009, 11:46:11 PM »
While perhaps inspired by Edgar Rice Burroughs' John Carter/Barsoom books, I believe that the Parroom Station City Dweller Martians are based on their own background material written for Parroom Station and they have no direct literary source beyond that.
2012 Lead Tally: Painted:0

Offline theoldschool

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2009, 07:29:53 PM »
While perhaps inspired by Edgar Rice Burroughs' John Carter/Barsoom books, I believe that the Parroom Station City Dweller Martians are based on their own background material written for Parroom Station and they have no direct literary source beyond that.

Absolutely none whatsoever [I believe Mr Burrough's estate is quite keen on that sort of thing]

Offline Leapsnbounds

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2009, 08:07:22 PM »
I hope that Pixar will do the Mars books justice and turn it inot a Disney Movie.

Offline warrenpeace

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2009, 07:38:18 AM »
Grimm, read this wiki article on Sword and Planet genre of literature:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sword_and_planet

Edgar Rice Burroughs wrote the first of his John Carter books, "A Princess of Mars," before WW1 and it was published in 1912.  That is generally regarded as being the beginning of the genre.  ERB went on to write 10 more John Carter of Mars books.  To a large extent it is really trashy pulp literature, but John Carter is really a sort of superhero on a fantasy Mars because his earth muscles giving him a great advantage on the lower gravity of Mars.  ERB went on to write the huge Tarzan series along with other Sword and Planet books set on Venus, in the hollow Earth, and on the Moon.

ERB tied up his books with copyright for longer than usual by copyrighting them under a corporation, but the first 3 to 5 of the the John Carter of Mars books are now in the public domain.  The ERB corporation, basically his heirs, has kept intellectual property rights to Tarzan via trademark as well as copyright, and has made a lot of commercial use of the Tarzan copyrights and trademark.

The ERB corporation keeps claiming a trademark to John Carter of Mars, but has no actual recognized mark in the commercial marketplace because over the decades little to no use has been made of the alleged mark.  Because the ERB corporation has enough money to sue, most people will avoid a challenge to the alleged trademark.  Miniature manufacturers will bill their figures as generic sword and planet type miniatures instead of referring to John Carter of Mars.  There is considerable validity to that, as ERB was not the only writer of Sword and Planet books, and not even the only one to set adventures on Mars (Otis Adelbert Kline wrote a couple of Mars books about 1930).

Both Parroom Station and Bronze Age Miniatures can be used to represent John Carter and other characters and beasts from the John Carter books.  Personally, I prefer Bronze Age Miniatures, now refered to as 32mm instead of the original 28mm, they are slim and very heroic looking, very suitable for this genre.  The republication of the John Carter books in the 1960's and 1970's brought some extradinary cover art, very sexy stuff.  Both Parroom Station and Bronze Age capture the different looks of some of these covers.  You can do a Google Image Search and find some of the covers.
Sailors have more fun!

Offline Mad Carew Snr

• Scientist
  • One in the Eye for the little yellow god
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2009, 07:44:40 AM »
Slightly off topic, being old I'm getting a little confused by the current scales - to me 32mm is a short 35mm! This terminology "heroic 28mm" sounds like something an estate agent would say!  lol
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way
The time is gone
The song is over
Thought I'd something more to say

Offline Grimm

• Two-time LPL Champion (Season 2 and 3) Supporting Adventurer
  • The Colonial Tales Winner
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Grimms-Hangar on Facebook
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2009, 11:17:58 AM »
Thanks Guuy that help me a lot

lightly off topic, being old I'm getting a little confused by the current scales - to me 32mm is a short 35mm! This terminology "heroic 28mm" sounds like something an estate agent would say!

Oh yes that is right Mad Carew Snr  but I know what people mean when they say "heroic 28mm" or `´truth 25mmm``
there is a lot of figures with differend size in the world of wargaming today and haveing some words for the many differend 28mm Figures is not a bad idea.

Cheers Grimm