Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 10:17:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686637
  • Total Topics: 118117
  • Online Today: 777
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The Grumpy Gnome‘s Fantasy Projects Blog (latest update on page 61)  (Read 102899 times)

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
    • 3d designs can be found at Thingiverse
Re: The Grumpy Gnome‘s fantasy figures for Middle Earth
« Reply #105 on: December 16, 2019, 07:41:57 PM »
Fantastic additions, Grumpy. The druid fella reminds me a bit of a Radagast the Brown type character.

Your mage reminds me of Tom Bombadil:

In fact, had I not popped over to your blog, I would have assumed you made both of these figures to represent the characters! Maybe it was a happy little accident.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #106 on: December 16, 2019, 08:17:32 PM »
I have been fortunate enough to get the Games Workshop Radagast and Tom Bombadil in inexpensive auctions... I just have not got around to painting them yet. It is taking me much, much longer to paint these things than I expected. But thanks for the compliment!
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #107 on: December 17, 2019, 11:36:15 AM »
Nice work - the druid (and the scholar(hah!) in particular).
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
« Reply #108 on: December 17, 2019, 09:52:42 PM »
I have been fortunate enough to get the Games Workshop Radagast and Tom Bombadil in inexpensive auctions... I just have not got around to painting them yet. It is taking me much, much longer to paint these things than I expected. But thanks for the compliment!

Are they wife approved?  :D

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #109 on: December 18, 2019, 03:06:32 PM »
She did indeed. And thanks again for the compliments. Comments help motivate me!

I was not motivated enough to get much done on the Hobbits currently on my desk but I did finish this terrain piece...

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/2019/12/18/in-the-hills/

More photos and information on my blog. Folks should feel free to comment on this thread if they do not want to leave a comment on the blog.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #110 on: December 24, 2019, 11:06:42 AM »
Undecided lizards... and if you are curious other thoughts on my blog...

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/2019/12/24/lizards/

Wishing you all a very Merry Christmas!

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
« Reply #111 on: December 24, 2019, 02:29:04 PM »
I like the colors of the lizard men. Not sure how I feel about them as a Middle Earth addition since I don't think it is even close to the lore. That said, there sure is a lot of the Middle Earth world that hasn't been explored or explained, so it wouldn't be a big leap even as it isn't canonical.

The hill/mine is a fun piece. I love terrain. Love it more than I love figures. If I could figure out a way to make two ruined houses fight, I would. lol. I like, and agree with, your decision to rebase and alter the original piece. I think the mine is more satisfying without the rails, and the extra bit you added around the edge really helped it blend into your table better than the original would have. Besides the flock providing a more natural transition between the table and the piece, it also looks like it removed some of the feel of stepping up onto a curb.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #112 on: December 24, 2019, 03:11:35 PM »
Yeah it is a big leap from canon... but if you look at how vague the extended Tolkien lore is on various fell beasts and creations of Morgoth then the leap gets a bit smaller. The further you look afield from both the movies and books of the Hobbit and Lord of the Rings, the wilder Middle Earth gets. Not to mention Dragons other than just Smaug.

Just how vast and diverse are the nations of the East? What is in the very far South? What lies in or across the vast ocean to the West? What darkness lurks in the bowels of the world far below Moria?

Thanks for the compliments on the terrain. Normally terrain is more my a thing for my wife than me but sometimes I get that terrain itch needing to be scratched. I am a big fan of Mel the Terrain Tutor on YouTube and look forward to his book Kickstarter to be finished once he regains his artistic footing.

Any advice you might have on how to improve my terrain is welcome. I know I have a lot to learn and recognize feedback, even when critical, is a gift.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2020, 07:33:06 PM by Rick W. »

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #113 on: January 08, 2020, 07:29:12 PM »
And so, moving into the new year... a gaggle of Hobbits! Plenty of more photos and information on my blog.

It was a real challenge getting these done. I see why some folks suggest painting in batches of no bigger than ten. This was more a case of painting to have them done rather than painting for the pure joy of it.

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/2020/01/08/a-new-year-and-a-gaggle-of-hobbits/

Not just the GW hobbits, there are several other things mentioned if you are curious.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2020, 07:36:17 PM by Rick W. »

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #114 on: January 17, 2020, 02:53:38 PM »
Some odds and ends for my wife... more photos and information on my blog...

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/2020/01/17/odds-and-ends/

And speaking of blogs, if you are interested in a great Middle Earth blog I highly recommend the blog of Mike Peters who is a big inspiration for me.

https://wilgut.blogspot.com/2019/12/the-southron-empire_17.html#comment-form

How many of you are doing your own Middle Earth projects and who inspires you most? What conversions are you doing? What personal proxies?

« Last Edit: January 17, 2020, 02:57:01 PM by Rick W. »

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
« Reply #115 on: January 17, 2020, 06:21:44 PM »
A bit damned if you do and damned if you don't on the tomb stand. If you match it, someone isn't going to look like part of the gang. The only real answer would be to do everyone, and the display, in grey. But, it doesn't ruffle my delicate sensibilities either way. Well done.

I'm quite impressed that the wife takes on terrain. Mine has no interest in painting or terrain, but if I thought there was a way to get her involved it would definitely be on the figure painting side of things.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #116 on: January 17, 2020, 07:20:01 PM »
Thanks for the compliment... and yeah you make a good point. I have considered selling the display and plastic Fellowship but our metal Fellowship minis are generally painted up post Lothlorien whilst the plastics have the original cloak colors.

It is a little annoying to have put in so much detail work on a piece that will not be part of a game. If we ever did a Moria game I would try to get the Ziterdes proxy for Balin’s Tomb.

https://www.ziterdes.de/bestseller/bestseller/dunkles-zwergenreich.html

My wife has a couple of terrain projects on the go right now, a large characterful tree and a multi-piece river. She prefers making terrain to painting minis... and anything she does clears me up for other tasks in my ridiculously long to-do list. I am hoping when my son starts going to school I will have more free time to get things done. Too often lately I am distracted with my sci-fi project.

Does your wife play? We got into this as a shared hobby in part to game together since she prefers tabletop to computer gaming.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2020, 10:15:18 PM by Rick W. »

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
Re: The Grumpy Gnome‘s fantasy figures for Middle Earth (Orcs)
« Reply #117 on: January 31, 2020, 01:24:38 PM »
So I managed to finally get some Orcs finished. Too many projects on the go. More info and photos on my latest blog entry... as well as some Picard thoughts.

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/2020/01/31/orcs/

« Last Edit: February 01, 2020, 10:19:50 PM by Rick W. »

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
Re: The Grumpy Gnome‘s fantasy figures for Middle Earth (Orcs)
« Reply #118 on: February 02, 2020, 11:50:28 AM »
.... and we finished some terrain...

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/2020/02/02/another-step-towards-the-forest/

Does any one have any good house rule recommendations for Battle Companies or SBG in general?

I like the idea of some sort of unit indirect volley fire that gives plunging fire and increased range using siege engine rules.

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
Re: The Grumpy Gnome‘s fantasy figures for Middle Earth (Terrain)
« Reply #119 on: February 03, 2020, 12:02:54 PM »
Killer rabbit!!!