Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:03:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The Grumpy Gnome‘s Fantasy Projects Blog (latest update on page 61)  (Read 102816 times)

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
Yeah, fair point on the movement aspect. And thanks for the kind words!

Some more photos from the last batch, including the river piece my wife made.
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline Bearwoodman

• Mad Scientist
I am enjoying this thread! I say yes to grass on the side of scatter terrain - in your example photos it helps it to blend in so much better.

Also I really like scatter pieces. Where is the semicircular stone with the carving of an archer from?

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
My wife made the stone out of some putty we used to make impressions of our son’s hands and feet. She used a pewter salt shaker with Norse artwork on it to make the image by pressing the putty against it. I then painted, washed, draybrushed and based it.

I am glad you are enjoying the thread. And thanks for the feedback ob the static grass. I think it looks a bit messy but also more natural and helps blend into the table. But I like hearing what other people think.

Edit: One of my goals is to show folks what you can accomplish on a limited budget with some fortunate EBay successes and creative imagination in regards to proxies. For example I won this charming Troll Forged beastie on eBay for a Euro. I figure it will make a nice proxy for The Watcher in the Water.

Suggestions on a color scheme for the beast are most welcome!
« Last Edit: February 23, 2020, 10:38:43 AM by Rick W. »

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
... and can anyone identify this mini?

I got it as part of a junk bits box auction, missing an arm. I was going to just add this Gripping Beast sword arm on to it but then decided it might be best to ID the mini before committing to that. I figured it was a Games Workshop LOTR Ithilien (Gondor) Ranger but now I am not so sure.

Anyone recognize it? The blue paint from the previous owner got me thinking it might be a Fiefdoms character... but if so, I can not figure out which.

Maybe I should switch out the sword for a spear and have it as a proxy for Duinhir of Blackroot Vale.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2020, 03:30:29 PM by Rick W. »

Offline scatterbrains

• Scientist
I do not posses this type of knowledge!

Nice work from the Missus! It's a good looking river section!

Offline andyskinner

• Bookworm
I heard water running as I looked at that river...

Where are the vines on the statues from?

andy

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
My wife appreciates the kind words, it made her smile to read your comments.

The dark green vine is poison ivy from Army Painter. The other vines came in unmarked bags in a large terrain bits auction we got lucky on.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
Faramir, Dryads and something a bit more fantastical....

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/2020/02/25/if-you-go-down-to-the-woods-today/

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
A lovely update - the basing adds but doesn't over power the miniatures.

Can't identify the ranger-type figure though.
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
Thanks Von Lucky. I was concerned the bases might overpower the figures.

The unidentified mini is now identified as an Ithilien Ranger musician from the metal command team blister.

https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=122884.0

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
I finished a bit more, various bits. I suspect the Pelargir marines may be a bit contentious. But I would enjoy hearing feedback nonetheless.

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/2020/02/29/a-bit-of-everything/

I know the spider is underwhelming.... more photos and info on the blog...

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
Re: The Grumpy Gnome‘s fantasy figures for Middle Earth (bits and bobs pg 11)
« Reply #161 on: February 29, 2020, 10:16:56 PM »
nice additions in that mix (conversion on ranger has come out well). I think the marines work - my only feedback is less bronze and yellow on them (for more silver and white) and some non-roman shield designs to break it up. Buy uniform-wise are perfect.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
Yeah, I thought about changing the bronze metalwork and brown leatherwork to silver and black, I had originally painted these as historical pieces in red to sell, hence the bronze metalwork.... but I had received no interest in them on eBay. I thought about converting them to Orcs since I was not keen to introduce the Republican look to the Imperial look I had already started for Pelargir marines and was unsure the decals I had chosen for the auxiliary troops would work on Republican shields. They do, with some modification.

When you say shield design do you mean the shape of the shield or the design on the shield?

In hindsight I would prefer to mix and match bits from multipart kits to create my own design but I am trying to work with a bunch of Roman minis I won already put together. Removing shields is easier on metal minis like these than on some of those Warlord Games plastic minis I have from what I have experienced trying to remove shields from Praetorians.

Your suggestion on the silver and white makes perfect sense aesthetically and would move them away from the more traditionally historical look. I will see what my wife thinks and consider how to best proceed. I really appreciate the input.

Part of me is a little nervous about converting them too far from historical because I was thinking of giving them double duty but realistically I am very unlikely to ever get around to finding spare time for a historical Roman game.

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
Design on the shields. The current shape helps move about a ship, etc.

I think only dark age / early medieval really can do double duty for Middle Earth (in my mind at least).

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
Yeah, ideally I would really be using just Dark Ages minis but I have to reconcile what my wife likes aesthetically and she likes a lot of the later period Peter Jackson Weta GW looks as well as consider our budget. I only very rarely buy anything new, even less so full price. And I want to eventually have vast swarms of troops. Retirement dreams kind of stuff. So I try to make do with lucky EBay lot wins.