Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:05:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The Grumpy Gnome‘s Fantasy Projects Blog (latest update on page 61)  (Read 102825 times)

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
Some more GW scatter terrain. I considered basing them but decided against it. Anyone think that it is better to base them?

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/2020/03/04/sticks-and-stones/

Also, if you have not seen it I strongly recommend having a look at Battles in Wilderland by Shaun Wymer. A collection of house rules and campaign scenarios that nicely blends SBG and the One Ring RPG.

https://www.dchobbitleague.com/fan-made-supplements.html
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline mirjeki

• Bookworm
I think a few should be left as they are for scatter, but putting a bunch together onto a themed base as well (with a larger ruined wall piece for example) is more practical for objectives & quick board setup.

While the concept of everything being modular sounds good, I've found in practice that it just makes everything take longer to set up and simultaneously look like a board of lots of items, rather than a coherent battlefield.

That's just my opinion though, your mileage may vary!

Offline mirjeki

• Bookworm
The pieces do look great though! I'm always impressed by your use of foliage and flocking to make your scenery stand out.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
Thanks mate! I always value your input.... and kind words!

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
Some more bits finished.... with some reworks as well.

Fire is a challenge. I have seen contradicting painting advice, red base to yellow tips and yellow base to red tips. Which do you folks prefer?

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/2020/03/08/scatter/

And Mantic Dwarves... too World of Warcraft?

Offline scatterbrains

• Scientist
yellow base red tips for me! that is a beautiful campsite, great collection.

Offline mirjeki

• Bookworm
Red base to yellow tips for me! Now we just need a third opinion to get you out of your stalemate.

Your campsite is great. What paints did you use for the canvas on the tents?

Not a fan of the Mantic Dwarf, bit silly for me (and that's coming from someone who likes 5th Edition warhammer fantasy!). The GW LOTR Dwarf Warriors are some of the best I've seen in miniature form - they're a stark contrast to that one; it just looks a bit Warcrafty, like you say.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
I used Army Painter desert yellow on the inside, a generic house paint tan for the outside (a bit lighter than the desert yellow inside). Army painter light wash and Army Painter Bleached Bone dry brush inside and out, with less inside than outside. I was trying to go for a weathered, stained set of campaign tents with more fading outside than inside.

For Dwarves I like the GW LOTR minis and the Oathmark ones. I have a bunch of others won cheap in auction, Mantic, GW Fantasy and assorted others. My thinking is to try to make them look more like the Oathmark ones with spare Oathmark bits.

As my collection of cheap auction won minis grows I a less inclined to make compromises on proxies but I need to keep a more open mind on conversion ideas.

Putting Oathmark Goblin heads on Mantic Goblin bodies for example.

I also like Warlord Games/Wargames Factory Orc heads on Oathmark Dwarf bodies for Snaga/Goblins. Quirky Labyrinth sort of looking fellows, slightly comical but not as outrageous as the Warcrafty looking Mantic Dwarves.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
I tried some Oathmark Goblin heads on GW Gnoblar bodies but they just did not work for me.

And I got more scatter terrain done!

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/2020/03/14/even-more-scatter/

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
I just wanted to take a moment to mention how awesome a fellow hobbyist is.... Koyote inspired me with some of impressive kitbashing and went the extra mile to demonstrate how he did it. Such generosity warms the heart and reminds me why I joined this forum. The thread can be seen here, well worth the time to look even if the specific subject matter  genre is not your thing.

https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=118478.150

As to what I am trying to build.... inspired by his Forest Goblins I am trying to make some spare bits I won into a siege engine for spider worshipping tribal folks in Mirkwood as suggested in the One Ring RPG.

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
I'm still impressed by your output (noting that some is touch ups but still).
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
The advantage of being a stay at home dad.... although my plan to increase my workload as my son goes to school more is on hold with the current coronavirus school closures. Also, I would get more done if I was not so tired at night. My eyes, and endurance, just are not what they used to be. I have had a couple of all nighter painting sessions I really paid for the next day.

In the beginning of this project, when my son would sleep quite a bit I was getting 10 minis a day done. No where near that now. Not even 10 minis a week it seems.

Offline scatterbrains

• Scientist
Red base to yellow tips for me! Now we just need a third opinion to get you out of your stalemate.

Wanna take this outside?  ;D

Lovely characterful scatter as always! Really need to learn from your basing style and technique.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
Thanks mate!

One thing I recently learned, I threw in some longer static grass to my main static grass collection... this caused my bases to look increasingly overgrown. Against my wife’s advice I started trimming some of the longer grass around the edges of the bases but left the longer grass that was standing up. I think it really helped. Not sure what you folks think.

Offline scatterbrains

• Scientist
I had a joke here but it might be inappropriate I'll have to read the forum rules ...b :-X

I think the long grass really helps! My static grass is all same length ... I'd better add some variety!