Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:10:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686604
  • Total Topics: 118111
  • Online Today: 626
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The Grumpy Gnome‘s Fantasy Projects Blog (latest update on page 61)  (Read 102872 times)

Offline BeneathALeadMountain

• Mad Scientist
Re: The Grumpy Gnome‘s fantasy figures for Middle Earth (Battle report pg 26)
« Reply #390 on: September 30, 2020, 06:54:51 PM »
Amazing work so far, I wish I could convince my wife to play games it would be much easier than forcing friends at club to play what I’m interested in. I’m not a massive fan of the AOS look but those hounds are quite charming- maybe just some more realistic skin tones and steel rather than gold metals would help them fit? Sharp Practice is perfect for your intended use and I can recommend getting the campaign book (I want to call it ‘Dawns and departures’ but that may be the WW2 version).

Keep up the good work, I’m going to trawl through all your past battle reports I’ve missed whilst my wife watches something uninteresting on tv  :D

BALM
Beneath A Lead Mountain - my blog of hobby procrastination and sometimes even some progress
https://beneathaleadmountain.blogspot.com/

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #391 on: October 01, 2020, 04:43:39 AM »
I think repainting them to a more subdued color palette would help them fit more easily into one of our projects (for example using Warg stats) but their original paint work is so interesting and skillful that I would feel bad about painting over it.

We bought Dawns and Departures at the same time we bought Sharp Practice. My wife got the PDFs printed off and bound yesterday. Expensive but I think worth it. I just do not seem able to absorb things as easily in digital form. However, D&D is going to require some reworking to take into account we do not have a neutral umpire to manage the campaign.

Every day I am thankful my wife and I share this hobby. We are both grateful when someone enjoys reading about our adventures.
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline Wilgut Spleens

• Scientist
    • The Miniature World of Wilgut Spleens
« Reply #392 on: October 01, 2020, 06:33:16 AM »
Dawns and Departures is a great investment.There are a lot of ideas in there that are transferable and I have used the system successfully for Battle Company campaigns. Even without an umpire the campaign game works well, even solo for that matter, however I am impatent to try the whole she bang! Maybe next year
I have a bad case of prescient nostalgia. The future's not what it used to be.

https://wilgut.blogspot.com/

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #393 on: October 01, 2020, 09:34:02 AM »
Rick I’d agree with Wilgut in that you don’t need a neutral umpire to run a D&D campaign it just hides the mechanics from you and allows better immersion in the adventure (rather than game). If you do want an umpire, and I’ve quickly looked through D&D to check and it seems that the main need is hidden movement and the generation of plot twists/random rolls etc, as a chap of infinite leisure I don’t mind doing it for you. As long as I could do it by email (I only have an iPad no printer) and your map was digital (A digital photo of a paper map would do as I could annotate it) I would be quite happy to do the hidden bits and update you each individually on your progress etc. No pressure but something to consider if you think it would improve your enjoyment of the game.

Keep up the good work,
BALM

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #394 on: October 01, 2020, 11:01:20 AM »
Thanks for the input. It is heartening to hear it is not utterly reliant on an umpire. I appreciate the offer BALM, I may take you up on it but that is quite some time away in the future given how long my to do list is. I might finally get around to painting up my first few “test piece” French this weekend.... but there are a whole lot of troops to then paint for both sides.

I am thinking the first campaign will be my French against Native Americans using the special rules from the Summer Special 2016. My wife loves Native American cultures.

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #395 on: October 01, 2020, 12:47:59 PM »
I’m more than happy to help as I’ll enjoy being part of the game even if I’m not playing (shielding whilst not that different to my regular existence has stopped my weekly chance for gaming and I find games are the best fuel for my modelling/painting motivation) let’s hope the pandemic hassle has dissipated before then! Ahhhhh the to do list  :D I also want to start gaming Sharp Practice again (have only played a couple of games of first Ed but have read and re-read the new ones and D&D) in 15mm with the American war of Tax Evasion and will hopefully get started on this by the end of this year (I’ve asked my wife for the minis as a Christmas present). The good thing about SP is I think I stand a much better chance of getting my wife to play it than my current fare of WW2 and sci-fi, daring do and musketry is much more her thing (I hope).

Keep up the good work it’s inspiring to read about your games and progress,
BALM

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #396 on: October 01, 2020, 03:30:42 PM »
Getting my wife to start watching the Sharpe movies has helped!

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #397 on: October 03, 2020, 04:43:26 PM »
Some more grist for the mill...

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/2020/10/03/made-to-go/

The GW Banshee that we are going to use as an Angmar Specter leading an Angmar Battle Company did not turn out as good as I hoped. I like the idea of the painting style, which looks good when I have seen others do it but just seems a bit lackluster on mine. It could be in part down to a flawed basecoat that got powdery, with a slight texture to it.

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #398 on: October 03, 2020, 06:40:30 PM »
Rick what don’t you like about the banshee? Maybe a few more highlights or a wash over the hair to separate the strands? I painted some nighthaunts in the GW scheme for a friend and whilst everyone who saw them said they were excellent I didn’t like it in person for some reason. I don’t even know why it just didn’t work for me and means I’m trying to find a better scheme for when I do mine.

BALM

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #399 on: October 03, 2020, 06:55:48 PM »
I used the contrast white paint to try to get some depth to the white hair without making it look “dirty”, which often happens when I try a black wash instead.

Part of my problem I think was seeing this version when I was looking up painting tutorials.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yy61TxSa1Xc

I really prefer that look but did not want to put in that much work.

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
    • 3d designs can be found at Thingiverse
« Reply #400 on: October 05, 2020, 07:26:30 PM »
I like the look of it, but I think that is because it fits well with the tones of the Nazgul realm (is there an actual name for where you go when you put the ring on?) which includes some of that stark white.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #401 on: October 05, 2020, 08:01:05 PM »
I know what you mean but I am unaware of an official name of that unseen spirit realm.

My first attempt with a wash made the hair too dark for my taste, as I expected. I will keep trying.

Offline Mister Frau Blucher

• Scientist
    • Swords Under Distant Suns
« Reply #402 on: October 05, 2020, 11:00:42 PM »
One of the great things about LAF is coming by every few days and finding yet another thread that somehow escaped my notice! In this case, for 27 pages...

I really like your painting and your gaming, Rick! Gonna take me a bit to go through the whole thread - and looking forward to it!

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #403 on: October 06, 2020, 03:25:37 AM »
Thanks for the kind words! It is always nice to hear people enjoy sharing in our exploits. As always feedback, suggestions and advice are welcome.

Offline mirjeki

• Bookworm
« Reply #404 on: October 06, 2020, 08:28:53 AM »
I've found an easy way to shade white is to get some medium - citadel lahmian medium works well - and mix it in with a dark wash (i.e. nuln oil or Army Painter dark tone). I usually do 1/1 but it depends on how dark you want the recesses to be.

The medium helps to keep the wash away from the higher areas and stops it from looking grubby, while still settling in the recesses and giving it definition.