Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 11:16:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The Grumpy Gnome‘s Fantasy Projects Blog (latest update on page 61)  (Read 102903 times)

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
Re: The Grumpy Gnome‘s fantasy figures for Middle Earth (latest update pg 28)
« Reply #435 on: December 05, 2020, 05:41:21 AM »
It is a mix. With figures it is that sometimes the digital sculpting is off, sort of soft and blobby. With terrain it is the lines. They blend in sometimes, like on planks of wood on a boat but stonework in particular for example they jump out. I looked at the recent Printable Scenery Kickstarter, some great designs, but the lines were there on the stones and put me off.
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline mirjeki

• Bookworm
« Reply #436 on: December 05, 2020, 10:36:21 AM »
Great blog as usual Rick! I agree with you on the Mandalorian - it was fantastic!

I really like those buildings you've done there, but I know what you mean about having 'moved on' to more expensive (but sturdier) products. I always thought "why would I ever want Dwarven Forge when I can make dungeons with some molds and plaster?" but then my plaster dungeons kept chipping, and were really delicate and needed to be stored with extra care. Eventually I decided to try out dwarvenite and it's brilliant.

The durability of it more than justifies the price in my opinion, especially when getting terrain out and putting it away again is the biggest annoyance in the wargame hobby.

Lovely wilderness pieces as usual. You really have an eye for natural foliage.

Thanks for the shoutout too!

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #437 on: December 05, 2020, 11:44:10 AM »
Thanks for the kind words mate!

Yeah, plaster chipping is very annoying. Some models it matters more than others. Post-apoc for example can benefit from natural wear and tear distressing.

As for Dwarvenite durability... our young son eventually getting old enough to play is a constant thought at the back of my head. The cavern pieces we got from you really convinced us that Dwarvenite is worth the cost. We just wish shipping and import costs were not so high from the States.

Offline Mister Frau Blucher

• Scientist
    • Swords Under Distant Suns
« Reply #438 on: December 05, 2020, 01:52:44 PM »
Great painting on those buildings!

I got a lot of dwarvenite in the early kickstarters, and it was very reasonable then. The cost has gone up a lot to where it is about equal to the resin. Still worth it from the durability standpoint, but glad I got it when I did. I keep it in tubs, where the pieces rub against each other, and I have never noticed any flaking or chafing of the paint.

mirjeki, I tried to comment on your blog, but it only accepts Blogger accounts. Discrimination against my Wordpress identity!  lol

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #439 on: December 05, 2020, 02:09:28 PM »
There are a number of blogs I want to reply to but without a Google account I can not do so.... frustrating.

Offline mirjeki

• Bookworm
« Reply #440 on: December 05, 2020, 02:25:03 PM »
Great painting on those buildings!

I got a lot of dwarvenite in the early kickstarters, and it was very reasonable then. The cost has gone up a lot to where it is about equal to the resin. Still worth it from the durability standpoint, but glad I got it when I did. I keep it in tubs, where the pieces rub against each other, and I have never noticed any flaking or chafing of the paint.

mirjeki, I tried to comment on your blog, but it only accepts Blogger accounts. Discrimination against my Wordpress identity!  lol

Thanks for checking it out! Yeah I've had the same problem trying to reply to wordpress blogs. They're trying to segregate us wargamer hobbyists!

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
    • 3d designs can be found at Thingiverse
« Reply #441 on: December 07, 2020, 04:38:20 PM »
I think that some of the roughness with printed terrain has to do with settings. Layer thickness, etc. I've got some printed vehicles that are brilliant and some that are a bit on the rough side. Both fdm prints, which leads me to believe that the rougher versions were rushed along to get pieces out the door rather than taking more time to print a quality product.

In general I don't find the lines to be offputting, though I do think that I would rather look at resin printing for figures and very small objects. For the most part I find that they vanish with a decent paint job and the willingness to not inspect everything from 2" away lol. It is the same standard I apply to my painting and sculpting. Just admire it from afar and things will be ok!

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #442 on: December 07, 2020, 05:27:29 PM »
I suppose my deteriorating eyesight might give more latitude at some point but for now I can not help but be distracted by print lines. It reminds me of an old tv screen  flickering. My wife is usually pretty forgiving of small detail problems but she also has a problem with print lines on stonework.

We have had better luck with some 3d printed resin figures when it comes to print lines but the sculpts have been chunky... which is fine for say a Beastman.

Each to their own though. If the lines do not bother you, fair play... it opens a lot of doors for you.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #443 on: December 14, 2020, 04:29:30 PM »
The weekly update...

https://wordpress.com/post/thegrumpygnome.home.blog/2601

A few things finished and some movie/tv show discussion on the blog is you are curious.

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
    • 3d designs can be found at Thingiverse
« Reply #444 on: December 14, 2020, 08:19:43 PM »
I'm not familiar with the Sharpe series. Looks interesting enough. I wonder if I can get it on PBS, which tends to be about the most reliable source for BBC shows that I've found.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #445 on: December 14, 2020, 09:29:06 PM »
It has a certain old Saturday matinee feel to it. Limited budget but seems to deliver decent entertainment considering the limitations.

Offline BeneathALeadMountain

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #446 on: December 16, 2020, 03:18:42 AM »
I love the sharpe series but maybe more as nostalgia than if I watched them again (I recently rewatched the Indiana Jones films and was a little saddened by the lazy anachronisms in places and then more annoyed that I’d realised they were wrong when I was little - little boys and pointless knowledge about war/weaponry - but had forgotten the fact  :D). I still love Indi (as the character) let’s hope the new film is awesome (that’s not sarcasm I’m just blindly optimistic - although that could just be the meds talking ;)).

I did consider rewatching Sharpe after watching Sean Beans Waterloo programs but think I’ve been spoiled by reading Flashman and GMF’s excellent writing, I don’t think TV Sharpe would hold up anymore (or just spoil my rose tinted memories) so maybe I should re-read them instead (I recommend the Flashman series if you want good characterisation and good history in book form). That said they’re not the worst TV that’s been made and at least the period is interesting.

I’ve just watched Mando up to current and not only am I enjoying it but my wife loves it (and sci-fi is not her thing at all) so it’s nice to have something we can both watch.

Great to see you chipping away at your mountain Rick, keep up the good work,
BALM
« Last Edit: December 16, 2020, 03:26:42 AM by BeneathALeadMountain »
Beneath A Lead Mountain - my blog of hobby procrastination and sometimes even some progress
https://beneathaleadmountain.blogspot.com/

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #447 on: December 16, 2020, 06:17:21 AM »
I love Indy. Even Temple of Doom. I am still scarred by Crystal Skull though. Hard for me to be optimistic about the next one.

There is worse tv than Sharpe but it is a bit like watching old Star Trek episodes.

It is great to be able to watch shows with our better halves!

Thanks for the continuing encouragement....36 more skeletons to finish then I can focus on something else.

Sadly our winter holiday plans to get a bunch of games in whilst our son is in school and my wife is off work has been scuppered by the most recent lockdown.

Offline BeneathALeadMountain

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #448 on: December 16, 2020, 04:26:50 PM »
Yep I still refuse to admit ‘the Crystal nonsense’ is part of the series, I didn’t think it was possible to run out of uses for Nazis as baddies but GL seems to think otherwise. The only good point so far I’ve seen about the new one is Harrison Ford will be the same age as Indiana would be at that time, hopefully that’s used well. I still enjoyed the first two (even with the time travelling mp40’s and RPG) - the wrong/right way round but then when watching Holy Grail now you get that ‘sharky’ feeling (something well known to fellow surfers and deep water swimmers) that the Crystal Skull is coming!  lol

I started ploughing my way through Skeletons thinking that they’ll be easy to knock out and they were surprisingly dull to paint and I struggled to maintain my interest, but they’re vital fantasy fodder and I want to play Advanced Heroquest solo over Christmas.

Always great to see your progress,
BALM

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #449 on: December 16, 2020, 05:17:14 PM »
I hear you mate! I hope you have some great gaming. On my part, providing the lockdown does not get worse, I will be at the in-laws for the holiday.... a break from painting. No idea when I will finally get to do some Solo Core Space gaming (so much to paint first!).