Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:28:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686604
  • Total Topics: 118111
  • Online Today: 626
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The Grumpy Gnome‘s Fantasy Projects Blog (latest update on page 61)  (Read 102869 times)

Offline mirjeki

• Bookworm
A fun read as usual. I'm glad you're going semi-coop with the campaign now, I always find it much easier to identify with good guys and your Dwarves seem like decent types (if a bit unlucky).

GW games do suffer from a high mortality rate and random dice rolls, but having tried some other systems I've often found that the randomness is offset by crunch instead, or worse - consistent results where every troop type feels exactly the same. I think it's the problem with dice-based wargames to be honest, but the highly random nature of GW games does at least give you something to work with when coming up with the narrative in AARs.

Keep up the battle reports, I'm loving them!

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
Always happy to hear from you Wilgut. Glad to see you sharing your magic on this forum. I look forward to reading your pdf once my wife explains to me how I can download PDFs on her tablet.

Colonel Mutumbu, I would to read what rules you found worked well. That is a kind offer. We are just starting to get a handle on charging cav and infantry trapping, as well as the importance of spear support. Both my wife and I have been repeatedly surprised the way the S v D chart works with its 2 number plateau. It just feels counterintuitive. Whilst I do not want to be a min max tourney player I find it annoying to declare piercing strike and risk the D loss for exactly the same result as not declaring it.

I am glad you are enjoying the battle reports Mirjeki. Your reports inspire me, so you keep yours coming too!

One thing that feels missing in BC and SBG is an overwatch mechanic.
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
And our latest battle report... my Dwarves against a bunch of outlaws!

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/2020/06/23/a-chance-encounter-with-old-ozzys-outlaws/
« Last Edit: June 23, 2020, 10:39:24 AM by Rick W. »

Offline mirjeki

• Bookworm
I like your strategy of holding out on the rocks. It feels very dwarven to come up with such a defensive strategy in open-ground like that.

My vote is for spending your influence on better equipment. A good dwarven warband should have the finest steel (or mithril) in my opinion.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
Yeah, originally I was just going to charge the Outlaws. My wife set up the table and we rolled for table edge choice. I won but did not really see an advantage to any side... unless I was an Elf. I impulsively chose the side with the most rocks without having a plan to use them. Then as I started putting my minis on the table the idea to defend the rocky outcrops popped into my head.

I still am undecided. The rallying horn improves the quality of new recruits... but I did start putting together a new version of Rorik today....

Offline ColonelMutumbu

• Bookworm
I would counsel buying the rallying horn early if you are going to get one. Would also strongly recommend the raven for dwarves its very strong to have a banner effect in BC
« Last Edit: June 26, 2020, 03:32:07 AM by ColonelMutumbu »
lead count 2022: bought 227 painted :227
score: 0

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
Yeah the horn makes sense before recruiting anyone, the sooner you have it the more you potentially save. I used that strategy with my Minas Morgul company. And the raven is a definite. Myrddyn, one of my sergeants is scheduled to get a raven. I wanted a mini of one flying though before getting it.

The minis are part of the decision making process for advancement. I want to have possible reinforcements, like the Vault Warden team, painted before rolling to recruit. Same with an uparmored version of my leader Rorik. And there is the dilemma of having the very cool looking  Dwarf Wizard Mini that is begging to be painted. I know Tolkien does not have Dwarven sorcerers in his works... but it is so tempting to veer from the canon for both aesthetic as well as gameplay reasons.

With the mini I am currently working on for Rorik, I may have gotten carried away and made him look a bit over the top in GW fashion....
« Last Edit: June 26, 2020, 06:30:34 AM by Rick W. »

Offline Wilgut Spleens

• Scientist
    • The Miniature World of Wilgut Spleens
Some great posts mate, I am slowly catching up with your blog, some great writing there. I like your insights on BC, I completely missed that the rallying horn effects reinforcements, I must have read the first line and not gone further.

I like the healing Herbs as go to  and the company banner is great when combined with "Lead by Example"
I have a bad case of prescient nostalgia. The future's not what it used to be.

https://wilgut.blogspot.com/

Offline scatterbrains

• Scientist
That Dwarf Wizzard just looks so cool ... I'm sure Tolkien would approve!

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
The only problem with the healing herbs  is that the owner can not be a casualty in order to get the effect, unlike Waybread. This means you are best off having a support character that avoids combat where possible. Better for bigger companies, later in a campaign.

I would also like to get a lucky talisman for Rorik but it gets a bit much, investing so much influence in one character. Especially when you lose all there stuff when they die. My wife and I have discussed possible house rules to address that. Same with pets and mounts. We need a consistent system. We have gone back and forth on whether mounts should be subject to injuries just as pets.

Another house rule, picking up from a conversation earlier... I am thinking maybe +1 S on archery under half max range. This would be inline with +1 S for night fighting archery at 12", so perhaps not too unbalanced? Not applied to thrown weapons though.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
I managed to finish som odds and ends this week, terrain and minis.

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/2020/06/26/more-odds-and-ends/
« Last Edit: June 26, 2020, 06:05:35 PM by Rick W. »

Offline Bearwoodman

• Mad Scientist
Some useful bits! All adventurers need a packhorse or pony. The horned skull adorned with heads is sinister. And I like the little mushrooms!

Offline Mallo

• Librarian
Just spent some time going over all your photos in here, superb stuff. I skimmed over the battle reports though, in favour of the eye candy, so I'll need to go back over the whole thing again!

This is fantastic stuff though, some top notch conversions. I love how all your forces & terrain have a very unified look, like they all belong together on the battlefield! It's something I've attempted before but I end up doing all sorts of random basing out of hobby enthusiasm and now all my forces belong to opposite climates!  lol

Love the look you've gotten for the recent dwarf conversions. I must hack up some of my own Oathmark dwarves soon, I've been putting it off as I love the standard kit so much anyway!

Great stuff, looking forward to seeing more!

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
Thanks folks, I really appreciate the kind words. Such comments help keep me motivated. We got a couple of games in this weekend so I will try to get the battle reports done as soon as I can. I will say for now though that I am very glad I switched over to playing Dwarves, much more my style.

On the matching terrain, my wife and I talked at length about basing. We opted for temperate woodland as the most common we will be using, so in some games the bases will look out of place but in most we should be ok. And wE generally prefer making temperate woodland pieces over other types of terrain.

I can not recommend the Oathmark stuff highly enough. I love all of it!

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
Another battle report, this time my Dwarves versus the NPC company Ozzy's Outlaws as the Defend the Gate.

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/2020/06/29/take-the-gate-a-battle-report/