Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 01:42:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689607
  • Total Topics: 118286
  • Online Today: 662
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The Grumpy Gnome‘s Fantasy Projects Blog (latest update on page 61)  (Read 104067 times)

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
Thanks mate.

I am still sitting on the fence for the 50% bows, especially after..... the Outlaws try to rescue Oswald!

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/2020/07/14/a-daring-rescue-a-dwarven-battle-report/

Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline Wilgut Spleens

• Scientist
    • The Miniature World of Wilgut Spleens
Interesting! When I played this , i surrounded the prisoner with three guards so that he could not move with out attacking one of them.I am not sure that a prisoner should have a control zone, he's tied up after all, there is nothing he can do to "control " the space around him
I have a bad case of prescient nostalgia. The future's not what it used to be.

https://wilgut.blogspot.com/

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
The scenario says anywhere within 3". And yet, the prisoner can attack, albeit an unarmed attack. The prisoner is not “paralyzed” as per the manacles equipment rule. Even if you ignore the zone of control though, all you have to do is cause an opening and off the prisoner runs. Even if I had cavalry to run him down I could not attack him. So the guards would need to win every fight or get pushed back/out of the way.

Offline scatterbrains

• Scientist
I've never played these rules (I'm here for eye candy lol) but it's an odd situation with the escaping prisoner?

Feels like one of those when a GM would help like in 3rd edition fantasy!

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
I suppose my wife was acting GM given she was running the Outlaws as NPC's.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
Some things I finished this week.

This weekend coming up is looking to be a painting weekend rather than a gaming weekend. I need to paint up 24 Wargs and a Warg Chieftain! My wife needs to finish the Galadhrim Knight she got as a reinforcement before her next game, the 3rd narrative scenario of the campaign.

Ideally we will both paint up future reinforcements so we do not have to delay between games.

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/2020/07/16/more-terrain-and-minis/

More info and photos on the blog!

I would love to hear your feedback.

Offline scatterbrains

• Scientist
Great additions to the collection! Really like the rocky terrain, it has a nice mix of textures and colors that look very natural.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
Thanks! I thought maybe I had made them too busy.

Offline Melnibonean

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Boiled Beans
The more I read of your games the more interested I get in the Battle Company rules. I see that you use non GW figures which is good. Can you play the game solo?

I also really like those small rocky terrain pieces. I think I'm going to make a few small pieces like that (basically, I just going to copy you!)
Below is a link to my blog. It's the place where I write uninteresting things about little toy soldiers. I do this because I refuse to grow up and behave like an adult.

http://this28mmlife.blogspot.com.au/

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
I think it would be the same playing it solo as most games not specifically designed for it, possible but not optimal. I imagine you could make it more solo friendly by incorporating AI rules from another game. There is no hidden movement to have to work around.

As for the terrain, feel free to copy away. I take it as a great compliment but to be fair I merely adapted the work of someone else to suit my tastes. I bought 16 of the CD terrain pieces this person sells on eBay, so they deserve some credit.

https://www.ebay.de/itm/Tabletop-Gelande-Terrain-ScatterSet-3-Teile-Bolt-Action-Warhammer-28mm/193583427453?hash=item2d1278af7d:g:co8AAOSwUElet7I-

As much as I like some GW stuff, I dislike being restricted to using only GW stuff. Especially with GW being so awkward with price and availability.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2020, 05:52:46 AM by Rick W. »

Offline Wilgut Spleens

• Scientist
BC works fine as a solo game,better than most games,especialy if you add a few rules to create randomness, it's all I have been doing every weekend since lockdown began. It works best as a narrative game I think. No game can be played competetively solo.

Rick, I can not find the rules you mentioned were  in DeAgostino, the weather and time of day rules , but I confess, I do not own all the copies, would you very kindly let me know what they are?

I like the terrain Rick, in fact I intend to copy those pieces as they will fit well in my collection.

My top tip for terrian is to collect al the the little tiny pieces of lichen and clump foliage that falls off (and recently small, pieces of rock) and scatter them across the table when it's set up. I have even spent an hour tearing up clump into tiny bits for this reason. At the end of every game I sweep them up and put them in bag for next time. The more varied it is the better.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
Issue 65, pages 2 to 7 if that helps.

Good tip, I had not thought of smalls stones!

For those folks playing BC and SBG.... why are Wargs considered infantry and not cavalry? Seems to me a Warg without a rider could knock over infantry as easily as one with a rider. My wife agrees and we have considered treating them as cavalry but that may be a bit overpowered for their points cost.

That said... not as overpowered for their price as Wood Woses!

EDIT: Wilgut, I have sent you a PM.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2020, 12:54:18 PM by Rick W. »

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
Colonel Mutumbu, after reading your well written house rules my wife and think we will be making a use of some of them. Your ideas on relics, magic powers, influence point costs for reinforcements, max company size and the mundane armoury section all appeal to us.

Additionally, where you have allowed a Spectre hero in the Angmar company as the lieutenant is very interesting. That completely reversed my desire to make an NPC Angmar company.

My wife and I are intending to make Wargs without riders cavalry rather than infantry, we just need to settle on an appropriate additional model cost. Anyone have recommendations? I am thinking just 1 point.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2020, 01:26:14 PM by Rick W. »

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
No games for us last weekend, it was a build and paint weekend. We got a few things done including some Wargs, A Cave Troll and some Elves.

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/2020/07/31/trying-to-get-things-done/

More on the blog for those interested.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2020, 02:49:56 PM by Rick W. »

Offline Wilgut Spleens

• Scientist
Colonel Mutumbu, after reading your well written house rules my wife and think we will be making a use of some of them. Your ideas on relics, magic powers, influence point costs for reinforcements, max company size and the mundane armoury section all appeal to us.

Additionally, where you have allowed a Spectre hero in the Angmar company as the lieutenant is very interesting. That completely reversed my desire to make an NPC Angmar company.

My wife and I are intending to make Wargs without riders cavalry rather than infantry, we just need to settle on an appropriate additional model cost. Anyone have recommendations? I am thinking just 1 point.
who is Colonel Mutumbu?