Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:18:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686604
  • Total Topics: 118111
  • Online Today: 626
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The Grumpy Gnome‘s Fantasy Projects Blog (latest update on page 61)  (Read 102873 times)

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
He is a forum member who made some comments earlier in the thread. He sent me a copy of the house rules his gaming group (QLD I think). Quite extensive work really, very nicely presented, and some of the stuff they are using could work for my wife and me.
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
    • 3d designs can be found at Thingiverse
The new terrain is great. I don't recall where I saw it, but that same rock clump terrain idea was something I ran across elsewhere and decided to whip some up. Yours are quite a bit more involved than mine, and they look great. I suspect yours are quite a bit larger than mine as well. Mounted on CD's?

Mine are just on some scrap MDF discs  which range from 2-2.5" across.

They do make for nice additions, and something sturdy to hide behind!

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
Yeah, CD‘s. I bought them on eBay and made some personal modifications.

Yours look great. It is helpful to have varying sizes I think to prevent the table from looking too artificial. I need to make some like yours!

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
It is a super easy little terrain project. I grabbed some rocks out of the driveway (gravel), washed them, glued them down, applied texture paste around the base and let the whole mess dry for a few hours. Then prime everything black. Ground gets a brown undercoat before applying my turf mix, and the rocks get a couple layers of grey dry brush. Apply the flock with matte medium, and then brush off the extra after it dries for an hour or so. Broken up into parts, this could easily be accomplished in a day. I think I really did it across two weekends, but getting things done quickly wasn't a priority for me and these were being worked alongside some more complex terrain pieces.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
The trick is finding just the right stones, that is a big part of the artistry of it. And while they are not as time demanding as some other projects they do add up in delaying other priority projects.... like painting more Wargs!

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/2020/08/06/more-wargs/

More info on the blog as usual. Feedback welcome!

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
Great pack of Wargs. Like the little tree/bush too. I need some of those as well.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
The bush was started by me, finished by my wife. I was not happy with how it came out and consigned it to go on eBay but my wife decided to save it by improving it. She reflected it over my work and added the flowers. Now we both like it. Success!

Just about finished the next 12 Wargs, drying over night and clear coating tomorrow  morning in case we manage to get a game in tomorrow afternoon.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
The Elves of Fingaerion‘s Spear are ambushed in the Hills of Evendim by a large pack of Wargs....

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/2020/08/10/ambush-in-the-hills-an-elven-battle-report/
« Last Edit: August 10, 2020, 04:07:23 PM by Rick W. »

Offline Wilgut Spleens

• Scientist
    • The Miniature World of Wilgut Spleens
another nice blog mate! I like the warg scenario, its seems to come out different every time

"I also realized we have been making a mistake with how we have been promoting warriors to heroes. Once they roll to become a hero we have been letting them choose their path and roll on that path chart rather than waiting for them to level again, which is how I think it is supposed to work."

I also made this mistake to begin with, not as bad as rolling for advancement of warriors on TWO dice tho, which is what I did for my first twenty games or so!

I think your house rule for the Galadhrim pike seesm a bit OP to be honest, pikes are so cumbersome,to my mind they seem out of place in skirmish games. I think I might try a new weapon instead, one specific for the Galadhrim guard. How about a halberd? Would give unit distinction, nice conversion project. Could be a double handed weapon that could also double as a spear for support!
I have a bad case of prescient nostalgia. The future's not what it used to be.

https://wilgut.blogspot.com/

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
I was a pikeman briefly in English Civil War re-enacting. I am no friend to the pike, I assure you. That said not all pikes are the same. I read once that a pike is a spear too long to effectively handle one handed.

So whilst at first I rejected the idea out of hand to equip Galadhrim Court Guard with pikes, it was not a serious issue because I did not intend to ever have any. My wife’s lieutenant ending up a Galadhrim Court Guard due to our house rule on lieutenant advancements made me rethink it.

So considering things like the writings of George Silver and boarding pike single combat, I rethought my vision of pike fighting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozDBCmcfoUo

https://www.amazon.de/Master-Defence-Works-George-Silver/dp/1581607237

I also thought about Chinese lomg spears...  short pikes?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVvGMHS5HYU

This type of spear fighting seems very different from Norse shieldwall spear work or Greek Hoplite spear work.

So the strength bonus of two hands versus one hand and shield made sense to me and my wife. Losing the -1 duel roll penalty for two hands matched the 6 Fight skill concept of elite thousand year old martial artist guards. And the extreme thrust range shown particularly in Chinese spear work makes sense for two rank deep support, which was a factor in my wife deciding to give up the +1 Defense of a shield.

But I take your point. It does seem OP on the surface. It is balanced by the fact we will never deploy these in a large unit.

Even more OP will be when she gets a horse and uses it as a lance....

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Nice pack of wargs  8)

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
Thanks mate! Woof woof!

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
Nice battle report. I'm afraid I don't have a lot of context for the particular rule system you are using, but if it works for you and the wife, then I say go for it. Honestly, heroes should be heroic, and if they are beefed up a bit and darned unlikely to be killed by your average goblin, then that is pretty well the way it should be (in my head at least). Heroes kill heroes, that is the way of books and movies.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
Fair point mate.

One test I use to see if something is OP is whether or not it makes something you just can not do without. If for example this pike rule means of course you would never take a shield and spear instead, then it would be too OP.

And we decided to make our lieutenants more heroic than the sergeants by giving them the free advancement and a free special skill from the Johnathan Baker rules. But so far plenty of non-heroes have been killing heroes. Maybe as our heroes develop more that will change.

One thing about the Battle Companies SBG rule set combat.... no one is truly safe, no matter how good the odds look.