Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:28:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The Grumpy Gnome‘s Fantasy Projects Blog (latest update on page 61)  (Read 102833 times)

Offline Golgotha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • BMC Miniatures - All things wargame related.
Looking forward to seeing your take on Dunlendings. Love the cemetery - keep up the great additions. 

Offline Melnibonean

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Boiled Beans
It's been a while since I last looked in on this thread. You've done some great stuff recently. The graves and other terrain look great and I can't help thinking that I'm looking at a warband with Elrond and Conan. Egad!!!
Below is a link to my blog. It's the place where I write uninteresting things about little toy soldiers. I do this because I refuse to grow up and behave like an adult.

http://this28mmlife.blogspot.com.au/

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
Think of the role playing opportunities with an adventuring party having Conan and Elrond as members....
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
And a Battle Report from last weekend.... my Dwarves and my wife’s Elves versus a large Warg pack...

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/2020/08/27/wolves-attack-an-elven-and-dwarven-battle-report/
« Last Edit: August 27, 2020, 04:44:35 PM by Rick W. »

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
... and the Report from Sunday’s battle.... Dwarves and Elves against a rampaging Cave Troll!

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/2020/08/28/tame-the-beast-an-elven-and-dwarven-battle-report/

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
    • 3d designs can be found at Thingiverse
Good reports, and nice to hear the overall experience was a win-win/win-win with the wife... er "elves." lol

Offline Wilgut Spleens

• Scientist
    • The Miniature World of Wilgut Spleens
"a mighty intervention of fate" that's a great line

nice report onthe wargs, Im glad Iam not the only one who can roll double snake eyes!
I have a bad case of prescient nostalgia. The future's not what it used to be.

https://wilgut.blogspot.com/

Offline Wilgut Spleens

• Scientist
    • The Miniature World of Wilgut Spleens
"Although the Dwarves won, my wife and I both left the game feeling we “won” in part because of the cooperative nature of how we played the scenario but also because we both had very positive post game results."

Hallelujah-that's just what you want form such a game! excellent

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
Thanks guys, glad you enjoyed the reports. We are getting a bit better at remembering to use might, will and fate points.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
Re: The Grumpy Gnome‘s fantasy figures for Middle Earth (Battle report pg 26)
« Reply #384 on: September 16, 2020, 03:27:23 AM »
We have not had much free time for gaming or painting but we got a few things done. A couple of things for our Middle Earth project but mostly bits for eBay or gifting to friends.

And possibly me getting distracted with a Sharp Practice project, more information in our latest blog entry....

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/2020/09/16/long-time-no-see/

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
« Reply #385 on: September 16, 2020, 06:58:12 PM »
That Dwarven Forge stuff is pretty. Nice score there, and looking at the Wildlands KS I thought it looked reasonably priced all in all.

I looked at the Dungeons and lasers kickstarter, but I think I'm really looking for something with half height walls and in the end I found the terrain to be "too busy." While busy in an organic Dwarven Forge sort of way doesn't bother me, for some reason it felt a bit much for every square inch of wall and floor to be a pipe or console or grating. To be fair, I only looked at the sci-fi set as I have a dungeon set coming that I'm pretty stoked about.

Anyway, I like the black powder Enterprise idea. It should translate quite well. Just make sure you paint up a lot of "Red pantaloon" troops to serve as fodder for the angry tribes you might encounter. You might want to give your captain an option to romance the local princess/queen in every single mission as well. lol

Offline Bearwoodman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #386 on: September 16, 2020, 07:16:45 PM »
I really like that armoured Dwarf chap, especially his visor!

Interesting that you have backed the Reaper Bones 5 Ship. I am still in two minds about it. It is such an impressive model and would undoubtedly be significantly more expensive under other circumstances, but on the other hand it does not quite fit with any of the games we usually play, and where would I store it? I may go for it anyway...

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #387 on: September 16, 2020, 07:35:57 PM »
The Vault 7 sci-fi set looked the least busy but I agree, it all looked busy... and a nightmare to paint! That is one reason we chose Battle Systems sci-fi Terrain, no painting just some edging with a felt tip. The busier fantasy stuff did not work for me but I liked the mine and the Dwarven hall of heroes. My wife likes the regular fantasy core set and the gothic cathedral set. So it works out for us.

Apparently Sharp Practice has the romancing built in already....

Thanks for the kind words, Oathmark dwarves are great sculpts that are lots of fun to paint.

As for the ship.... yeah, we felt the same. It is even larger than we expected but perhaps the production model will be smaller than the prototype. It will dominate a table. As for fitting i theme wise.... That is why we started looking at games to play to suit it!

I expect we will back the next Blood and Plunder Kickstarter to get the two sloops and plastic multipart crew!

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #388 on: September 26, 2020, 09:58:59 AM »
A few more bits and bobs done and some talk about my latest distraction, if you are curious.

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/2020/09/26/gryph-what/

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
« Reply #389 on: September 30, 2020, 06:35:28 PM »
I like the Gryph hounds. Why not repaint them if that is the only sore spot? Covering the previous owners work wouldn't prove too troublesome I wouldn't think. The heads all look fine, so maybe just the bodies need hit anyway. Not sure if there is a proxy monster from LOTR, but as you have said before; there are more lands and beasts than are ever mentioned.