Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 03:28:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Warcry stuff so far.  (Read 11344 times)

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
Re: Warcry stuff so far.
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2019, 05:39:00 PM »
Thanks for sharing your thoughts and the report.

I am intrigued but still a little hesitant; such low turn counts seem odd and the fact that some games can be won or lost so quickly. How is the warband constructions rules? Does it feel lacking that their are so few options when it comes to building a warband?
My current project...Classic Wargame - An experiment in 24" of wargaming!

https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=140633.new#new

Offline Pictors Studio

• Mastermind
    • Pictors Studio
« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2019, 08:09:20 PM »
Yeah, they can be fast games.  On the plus side you could probably finish a campaign in a day or evening of gaming with a few friends.

I'm coming from the current edition of Necromunda so that is a pretty complex system as far as building a gang is concerned.  So complex that I usually just use the pre-gen characters from the cards that came with the boxed set.

There aren't a lot of option with warband creation here.  For the Untamed Beasts you can either make two prey-takers with axes or one with an axe and one with a sword. Or whatever they are.

The Iron Golems has the option of building the choggie boys in one of three ways and you can either build a standard guy or a guy with just a hammer. 

So you don't have a lot of options.  I like this as it makes it quick and easy to put a warband together. 

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2019, 09:08:06 PM »
Cheers. So if you buy multiple boxes then can you switch things round a bit.

I am a little surprised that FW won't be having some alternate weapons etc...though maybe they could do alternate heads etc...

Offline Condottiere

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2019, 03:43:59 AM »
Cheers. So if you buy multiple boxes then can you switch things round a bit.

I am a little surprised that FW won't be having some alternate weapons etc...though maybe they could do alternate heads etc...
Since there are no options for customization à la Mordheim and you're stuck to assembly based on the cards à la Rackham's Confrontation, it wouldn't make financial sense to offer alternative weapons and even less sense for heads, even though it'd be appreciated, as I'm considering a 32 figure unit for Ao$.

I'm getting the impression this game's not going to be here in 2 or 3 years, unlike Necromunda...

Offline Condottiere

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2019, 03:54:28 AM »
I haven't based the dwarf of the Ogor yet but they are painted.

How easy is it to convert the Chaos Dwarf and Chaos Ogre with head and weapon and/or arm swaps from Fyreslayers or regular Dwarfs and Ogre Kingdoms figures respectively? Is the Chaos Dwarf and Chaos Ogre the same size as Dwarfs and Ogres? Are the humans the same size as Blood Reavers or smaller? I'm planning a pit fighter band using classic Chaos thugs, pit fighters and converted Blood Reavers with Jugula bits.

Offline Pictors Studio

• Mastermind
    • Pictors Studio
« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2019, 02:33:53 PM »
The Ogor seems significantly smaller in terms of not being as fat as the other Ogors.  I have some unpainted in my storage unit.  I was out there last night so it might be a bit before I get out there again but I'll check next time I am.  The head would be easy to replace, I'm just not sure that one of the other Ogor heads would be the thing to do it with. 

The dwarf I have no idea.  I'm guessing a snip of the head wouldn't be too hard but the head and the coin "beard" are one piece and make up a significant portion of the body.  It is only a two piece model.  Arms and legs and most of the body as one piece and then the beard, head, belly plate and chain mail tabard as another. 

Offline AWu

• Mastermind
    • War is the H-word
« Reply #36 on: August 13, 2019, 10:53:42 PM »
I love your grimdark Golems (But they sure pride themselves more in craftmanship not the upkeep :)

I am fighting with mine atm

Offline Condottiere

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2019, 02:23:13 AM »
The Ogor seems significantly smaller in terms of not being as fat as the other Ogors.  I have some unpainted in my storage unit.  I was out there last night so it might be a bit before I get out there again but I'll check next time I am.  The head would be easy to replace, I'm just not sure that one of the other Ogor heads would be the thing to do it with.

The same leanness applies to the Mordheim pitfighter Ogre too, but it can be interpreted as a product of their profession. Knowing the original head is easy to remove, without damaging the neck and shoulders, makes it easy, though in order for a perfect fit, I'd have to build up the back of the head with putty or carved bits of sprue. Not sure what to do with the arms...
The dwarf I have no idea.  I'm guessing a snip of the head wouldn't be too hard but the head and the coin "beard" are one piece and make up a significant portion of the body.  It is only a two piece model.  Arms and legs and most of the body as one piece and then the beard, head, belly plate and chain mail tabard as another.
If there's no beard on the body, just coins attached to the head, it shouldn't be that difficult to substitute a Fyreslayer's head...

It's great that the Dwarf and Ogre are on the same sprue, but it's a shame it's not available separately, and I doubt mail order would make it available with a phone call.

Offline Pictors Studio

• Mastermind
    • Pictors Studio
« Reply #38 on: August 15, 2019, 01:28:36 AM »
I got a bit more of the terrain painted and we played a proper game with the terrain pretty much what and where it was supposed to be.   Our local store hasn't gotten in any of the new warbands yet so we're still smashing the Beasts and Golems into each other. 

The Beasts managed to win this one too.  They were trying to track down and kill the Golem Ogor.  They managed to bring him to bay and then get enough wounds in to take him out. 

With the way the game was set up it looked like the Iron Golems were going to be able to win it and they may have if they had withdrawn their Ogor from combat, but it was just a matter of one more punch to settle the lion's hash and they stuck around to do it. 

That left them vulnerable to a thrashing from the Beastmistresses whip and it was a little too much after being savaged for several turns by the lion.

The two groups on the North side of the map traded blows but the Beasts mostly managed to stay on task.  It really is a game that rewards you keeping track of the objective and not getting distracted by just randomly killing the enemy.  There usually isn't time for that.

The simplicity of set up and play really appeal.  This was the first game for one of the players so it took about 45 minutes to play through but I think this game could have gone by in 25-30 minutes, making a campaign with 4 players really not take that long, possibly it could be done in a long afternoon.

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2019, 10:04:11 AM »
still sounding very interesting.

I guess one thing is that I'm a bit disappointed by the amount of terrrain I'm seeing in the games you and others are showing so far.

it's the main promotional pic of the supplied board covered with the box terrain that's got me interested - do any of the scenarios start to approach that density of placement?

Offline Hobby Services

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #40 on: August 15, 2019, 04:11:13 PM »
it's the main promotional pic of the supplied board covered with the box terrain that's got me interested - do any of the scenarios start to approach that density of placement?

I can't recall seeing any of the deployment cards that use everything in the box, but I may be wrong about that, I'm sure I haven't run into all of them.  Actually kind of one of my least-liked things in the game is the insistence on those silly cards.  The terrain layouts seem too symmetrical to me, and limiting yourself to just using GW terrain (and not even a mix of different sets of terrain - they each come with their own cards) seems daft and (eventually) boring.  Most of us have other terrain, including scratchbuilt stuff, but there's no real way to use it with the game if your opponent isn't open to tweaking the rules.

Offline ecurtz

• Librarian
« Reply #41 on: August 15, 2019, 04:46:43 PM »
The expansion terrain sets do apparently include cards which mix the included pieces with stuff from the base set. It does seem like the kind of thing where it would be easy to make custom layouts either on the spot or make a custom set of cards based on the available terrain ahead of time if it's a store or gaming club situation.

Offline Pictors Studio

• Mastermind
    • Pictors Studio
« Reply #42 on: August 19, 2019, 06:34:03 AM »
I'm almost finished with all the terrain.  I'm hoping I'll get the last three pieces finished tonight actually.

That might have been delayed by a game we played. 

Here are some pictures from each of the turns:

I've put up a brief description of the events of the battle https://imgur.com/a/iYdAsYa along with more pictures. 

Offline Pictors Studio

• Mastermind
    • Pictors Studio
Warcry stuff so far. - terrain all done now.
« Reply #43 on: August 19, 2019, 04:56:38 PM »
Here are some pics of the terrain now that I have it all finished.

It is pretty remarkable how much stuff you get in the starter set.  If you have a use for ruined fantasy buildings, and who doesn't, the set is probably worth it just for the terrain alone, especially if you sell off all the other bits.

Here is a top view with it all laid out on the board that comes with the game.

Here are two views from the side.

As you can see it pretty much fills the little board that comes with the game.  If you built multi-story pieces it would obviously cover less area.  Some of the pieces have been built so that they can stack but not in a terribly useful in-game way.  Like they would add some cool factor to the look of the battlefield but in-game I can't imagine why anyone would want to climb up them.

If they release the starter terrain as a separate set I will definitely buy it.  I might just buy the starter set again for the terrain and either sell the figs and cards and book or just sell the cards and book and keep the figures to turn into casualties so when a model falls in the game I'll have one to put down.

You can see the detail on the wall here:

This one was done with contrast paint.  It took about 10 minutes to paint the whole thing after it was sprayed, including the wood part which was not done with contrast.

Here are two pieces that were done in a more traditional way.

The first is this look-out stand on the fallen head.  I've kept these as two pieces and the ladder part thing was a bit of a beast to get together.  The legs don't quite touch the ground the way I did it. So watch out for that.  I didn't realize until it was all together and painted actually because it was easier to rest on its top while I was painting it.   

The Bell tower and wall are done with standard paints and didn't take too much longer than the rest of it.

The tower thing falls over if you don't have the ladder part next to it so watch out if you are using it by itself or put it on a base of some sort.  While I was spraying it it fell over and knocked the hand off of one of my night haunts. 

Overall very pleased with the terrain.  I'd give it an 8/10 for terrain sets. 

P.S. it looks like I've left out one of the bridges.  It comes with two.  I've only pictured one there. 

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #44 on: August 19, 2019, 05:28:04 PM »
Looks like a solid job.

Even with all the terrain the board still looks a little light, I think I'd be tempted to base the terrain but then I expect it would get in the way of the modularity.

Do many of the missions require you to use all the terrain.