Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:53:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Wacky Max 1968 (Vulture Squadron Hangar)  (Read 7639 times)

Offline Cat

• Mastermind
  • All Purpose Neko-Sensei
    • Goblinhall
Wacky Max 1968 (Vulture Squadron Hangar)
« on: August 04, 2019, 02:43:17 PM »
I managed to hold off for a couple of years in not buying into Maximillian 1934.  I was valiantly trying a whisper campaign of suggesting to other gaming buddies that they ought to gear up for it (and not add yet another project to my bench).  Then this spring CMON released their new Wacky Races board game with lovely 1/72-ish miniatures and I could resist no longer.

Conversion work has begun on the vehicles.  Starting with the classic toon vehicles as base models, I'm going for an upgunned Wacky Max 1968 look, not the full-blown post-apoc image of the [outstanding] Wacky Raceland comic. 

Also appearing will be kitbashed Tom Slick crossover vehicles.  And even more kitbashing fun for special event card appearances by Vulture Squadron; when the pigeon of omen appears, mayhem will erupt in the skies and woe betide those caught below when they try to stop that pigeon.  Having a pigeon fly over your car is more dangerous than you might think.

First off the workbench are two versions of the Buzz Wagon for Rufus Roughcut and Sawtooth.  A standard 1/4 ton model, and an extended 3/4 ton version with room for several of Sawtooth's cousins to wield a harpoon gun.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2022, 04:33:39 AM by Cat »

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
Re: Wacky Max 1968
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2019, 02:46:47 PM »
I've already seen these on the facebook, lovely stuff! Going to be a wacky race of the best sorts! I think you will find Max'34 does great for the kind of game you want.
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline Cat

• Mastermind
    • Goblinhall
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2019, 03:06:06 PM »
I'm working on finishing up the Buggy class vehicles first to start running small games as work proceeds on the grand fleet for big convention games.  The theme for TotalCon next February here in Massachusetts is Saturday Morning Cartoons!
=^,^=

Next off the bench are Penelope Pitstop in the Compact Pussycat, and her twin sister Pandora Pitstop in the [unattested] Compact Ground Rattler.  Pandora, who has sibling issues, appears in the new Wacky Races (2017) series playing on Boomerang.  She also gets a bunny companion to help with the rear firing machine gun, one of the more wayward of the Flopsy Bunnies who ran away to join the Wacky Races.

1968 vintage cartoons are quite a sexist lot, so I'm stretching to bring in as many female characters as I can.  Tom Slick is a good help here: Gertie Growler, Marigold, and Sepulchra will all get to join the races this time.

Rounding out the Wacky Races' Buggy class are the Slag Brothers in the Boulder Mobile.  The Boulder Mobile Sport Coupe is the standard buggy size.  They also get an optional extended Sport Phaeton in the Jalopy class.  The Slag Brothers really wanted a flame thrower; but trying one out, they discovered that a front-firing flamethrower on a race car is not at all a good idea.  Once their hair grew back, they started work on banging out the Phaeton.  Shotguns are also useful for banging each other on the head of course.

The Boulder Mobile Sport Phaeton is still in progress.  The remnants of the middle tires will be removed after the two halves are pinned and glued together.  Both of versions will get tire upgrades.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2019, 03:17:23 PM by Cat »

Offline Cat

• Mastermind
    • Goblinhall
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2019, 03:13:25 PM »
Also on the workbench right now are the initial rough cuttings to make Tom Slick's Thunderbolt Grease Slapper and Zilly's flying machine.

When all the cutting down and bashing is done, the Thunderbolt Grease Slapper conversion will be the first of the Buggy class vehicles from Tom Slick.

Many of the planned Tom Slick vehicles will be very cut-down bashings of old Citgo promotional plastic Classic Cars.  Vulture Squadron will be relatively easy work from 1/72 WW1 planes.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2019, 03:22:37 PM by Cat »

Offline Ballardian

• Mastermind
  • Too old to stop now
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2019, 05:16:02 PM »
Great idea, can't wait to see how Vulture Squadron will turn out :)

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2019, 05:58:02 PM »
Absolutely BRILL!  :D :D :D

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2019, 02:10:17 AM »
Love it!
And Maximillian is a cracking game to use :)
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.

Offline Thargor

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2019, 09:25:07 PM »
Great stuff.  Used some of the characters from Wacky Races as the basis for the cars I converted for Mad Maximillian too...although I used diecast vehicles from ebay to create them.

Penelope Pitts-Topp

Professor Pat Pending

Dastardley Dick

The Termite Hill Gang

Peter Prefect

« Last Edit: August 05, 2019, 09:27:13 PM by Thargor »

Offline Cat

• Mastermind
    • Goblinhall
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2019, 10:06:23 PM »
Thargor, those are sharp!

Offline roadskare63

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2019, 03:09:21 AM »
great job to both  of you Cat and Thargor!! :-*

Offline purbrookmodels

• Assistant
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2019, 07:54:18 PM »
These are inspired. Love the OO and the ant hill mob.
Great stuff.  Used some of the characters from Wacky Races as the basis for the cars I converted for Mad Maximillian too...although I used diecast vehicles from ebay to create them.

Penelope Pitts-Topp

Professor Pat Pending

Dastardley Dick

The Termite Hill Gang

Peter Prefect

I love all forms of wargaming and model making, provided it is in good taste.

Offline Cat

• Mastermind
    • Goblinhall
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2019, 01:32:42 AM »
Just finished up modelling work on both the Sport Coupe and Sport Phaeton versions of the Boulder Mobile; and the first of the spectators, the Slag Brothers' biggest fan, Captain Caveman!  I'll also add the Teen Angels to the cheering crew when I start work on the more pedestrian spectators.

The same Rock Slag figure drives either the Sport Phaeton or the Sport Coupe, different poses for Gravel Slag are fitted to each one.  Even with back-to-back seating in the Phaeton, a shotgun is still a fine over the shoulder sibling smacker.  Inside the Sport Phaeton: Rock needed a side console up front to help keep him securely seated in the driver's seat without Gravel helping to lock him in place; and with the extended rear compartment, Slag can finally have a flamethrower.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2019, 01:58:13 AM by Cat »

Offline Cat

• Mastermind
    • Goblinhall
Re: Wacky Max 1968 (6 cars, 4 crews finished)
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2020, 04:11:34 AM »
Wacky Max work has been proceeding along slowly.  Working on several other projects, and minor cold/sinus things making my eyes malfunction every other week this winter is impacting all of them, grr.

But at long last the first 4 buggy class cars, and two optional long-bed jalopies have hit the gaming table; and the Boulder Mobile doesn't use fancey-dancey caltrops like other cars might, just some pointy rocks will do just fine for the Slag Brothers:

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2020, 09:51:17 AM »
This topic just keeps getting better and better! The rock trops are inspired.

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2020, 10:01:27 AM »
Great fun  :D
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/