Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:21:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Wacky Max 1968 (Vulture Squadron Hangar)  (Read 7640 times)

Offline Mad Lord Snapcase

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Snapcase Hall, Much-Piddling, Devon
    • The Life and Times of Mad Lord Snapcase
Re: Wacky Max 1968 (6 cars, 4 crews finished)
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2020, 11:51:27 AM »
Superb!   :-*

Offline Thargor

• Mastermind
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2020, 07:50:21 PM »
Those caltrops are ace...where did you get them?  I just used old flash off cuts from various minis.

Offline Cat

• Mastermind
  • All Purpose Neko-Sensei
    • Goblinhall
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2020, 08:18:41 PM »
Those caltrops are ace...where did you get them?  I just used old flash off cuts from various minis.

The pointy rocks are from a bag of scenic Rock Talus.
: 3

The spikey metal ones are a mix of the largest Star Washers and Conical Rivets from Tichy Train Group.  I whittled a point on the end of each rod, doing the bulk of the carving while they were still on the sprue for ease of handling.
https://www.tichytraingroup.com/Shop.aspx

Offline Thargor

• Mastermind
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2020, 06:39:34 PM »
The spikey metal ones are a mix of the largest Star Washers and Conical Rivets from Tichy Train Group.  I whittled a point on the end of each rod, doing the bulk of the carving while they were still on the sprue for ease of handling.
https://www.tichytraingroup.com/Shop.aspx

Thanks...will look them up.

Offline Cat

• Mastermind
    • Goblinhall
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2022, 02:53:16 PM »
Finally getting back to Wacky Max after quite a hiatus.  Haven't run the game since TotalCon the month before the Pandemic hit.  Looking forward to running a couple of games at Huzzah and possibly Anime Boston next month!

Have a couple of cars on the workbench right now that will be ready shortly. 

In the meanwhile, here are some terrain and bits I had finished in time for the last outing.

There are laser cut turning widgets that can come bundled with the rule book (left in the photo).  Things From The Basement also makes some (right) — I really like these because the are a thinner profile.

I made Shrinky Dink speed tokens and spray painted the backs gloss white after they were shrunk.  The shooting phase goes much quicker with a token by each car so everyone doesn't have to keep asking what speed every car is at.

This terrain painting for the Barrel Canyon race is patterned after that in the "Why Oh Why Wyoming" Wacky Races episode.  A friend printed out the hills and cacti for me.  In true Hanna-Barbera style, each piece type is painted identically, and there are only 4 arrangements of cactus stands.  So as you drive along, the terrain keeps repeating.

Fortunately, I could use the pre-painted cars from the CMON boardgame on the table top for any car that I haven't yet finished my custom mod for.  That allowed me to focus more time on the terrain in the run-up to TotalCon; and now it's time to catch up on modding more cars (and adding more terrain bits).
« Last Edit: April 25, 2022, 04:41:38 PM by Cat »

Offline Bravo Six

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
Re: Wacky Max 1968 (Terrain & Bits)
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2022, 04:11:41 PM »
Fantastic work Cat!!  :o

Offline Cat

• Mastermind
    • Goblinhall
Re: Wacky Max 1968 (Rat & Trixie Fink WIPs)
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2022, 04:03:31 PM »
Working on the first two special guest stars to join the cast, Rat & Trixie Fink.  These are Kinder Surprise hot rods that work quite well as is, they just needed a Fink style gear shift, weapons, and a replacement steering wheel (which conveniently came with the crew figures).

The Finks themselves are modified from the figure that comes with Ral Partha Europe's Green Baron Goblin Rocket Cart.  This figure had the perfect big toothy grin for the job!

R.F. gets a pintel mounted 2 cm KwK 30 from a 1/76 German scout car.  Trixie gets a rack of 6 rocket launchers on the roof of her pick-up.

First outing for them will be at Huzzah! next month.

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2022, 02:37:35 AM »
Great stuff! Strangely I was reading about Ed Roth,after a mention in a book about the Canadian punk scene,go figure  lol
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.

Offline Cat

• Mastermind
    • Goblinhall
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2022, 03:10:05 AM »
Great stuff! Strangely I was reading about Ed Roth,after a mention in a book about the Canadian punk scene,go figure  lol

Thanks.  And yeah, I can see some punk roots going back to Big Daddy kustom styling.

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2022, 08:45:31 PM »
There was that Birthday Party record of course,which I totally forgot about.

Offline mikos khan

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2022, 01:16:01 AM »
I loved the Wacky Races as a kid and it's awesome to see you using those great looking conversions for a game of Mad Maximillan.  Very well done!

Offline Cat

• Mastermind
    • Goblinhall
Re: Wacky Max 1968 (Course Markers)
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2022, 03:17:03 PM »
Course markers are ready for varnishing.  Dice start rolling at Huzzah this Thursday night!

The banners are sheet styrene cemented onto a plastic tube; heated over a candle and bent into gentle furls.  Brass tube and wires for poles. 

Picked up 3D printed barrels from EBay.  Went with 1/64 55 gallon drums which make nice big 85 gallon drums in 1/72.  Filled with sand and a dab of PVA for a cement filling.  85 gallons of cement weighs in at about 1700 pounds, so these should stand up reasonably well to the rigours of the race.

Offline Cat

• Mastermind
    • Goblinhall
Re: Wacky Max 1968 (Course Markers & Finks)
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2022, 12:13:40 AM »
Special guest stars Rat Fink & Trixie Fink are ready to roll!

Offline diehard

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2022, 10:10:49 AM »
They came out quite nicely, and I like the way you did the R.F. on the back of the dragster. And I did check out the Maximilian game on your suggestion, looks pretty interesting, thanks.
We haul ours to kick theirs.

Offline Cat

• Mastermind
    • Goblinhall
« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2022, 01:51:07 PM »
They came out quite nicely, and I like the way you did the R.F. on the back of the dragster. And I did check out the Maximilian game on your suggestion, looks pretty interesting, thanks.

Thanks, after the yellow paint dried, I did the outlining and detailing with the trusty .005 Micron Art Pen.

For overall ease and speed of play, I find Max34 and Gaslands pretty comparable.  As I mentioned in the other thread, it was the turning widget with the full freedom of turning that won me over to using these rules.  As an added bonus, the widget also works superbly for checking arcs of fire too.