Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 06:38:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Stripping Paint  (Read 709 times)

Offline The Major

• Bookworm
    • The Major Press
Stripping Paint
« on: August 04, 2019, 09:58:25 PM »
Does anyone have a great technique for stripping paint from plastic miniatures (heroclix, etc.) without damaging the model?  What about stripping metal miniatures?

Offline rwwin

• Mad Scientist
Re: Stripping Paint
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2019, 05:18:43 PM »
Metal & Plastic you've painted yourself yes.  Pre-painted plastic (i. e. Heroclix) no.

For things I've painted myself (metal, resin, polystyrene plastic, PVC) I've found that de-greasers work great.  If you're in the US, you can find them under the brand names of  Purple Power and Simple Green.  They make short work of brush on paints and primers.  I usually will soak for a day or two, then scrub with an old electric toothbrush.  Paint in the crevices will take the longest to loosen up, so sometimes it takes a couple rounds of soak and scrub to get all the paint off.  Beware that these de-greasers will sometimes de-bond super glue joints, especially on unpinned metal joins.  I've never seen them soften up a welded joint (i.e. polystyrene model glue).

For spray paint and primers, it's hit and miss.  Some spray paints and primers will come off easily, some I've soaked for a week and still not gotten them to budge, so I'll usually strip down to the primer and restart from there versus going all the way down to bare plastic.

For pre-painted minis, I've never found a good way to get paint off without ruining the figure.  I've tried the de-greasers mentioned above, Easy-Off oven cleaner and even break fluid.  Those will make the mini super clean, but don't seem to make a dent in the paint.  Acetone will take off the paint, but it will also dissolve part of the plastic itself,  In the best case scenario figures get all soft and floppy, in the worst case scenario they just melt.  I've just learned to live with the thick paint and primer over it.

Offline gnomehome

• Mad Scientist
Re: Stripping Paint
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2019, 07:51:01 PM »
Here's my old thread

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=75442.msg922040#msg922040

Nowadays I strip HC in aceton (put it in a glass container, an old jam jar or the like), next place the glass container in an ultrasonic cleaner bath and let it run for 3 minutes.

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=97502.msg1259899#msg1259899

Obviously this will also work for metals.

I like my games like my orange juice: pulpy with no added sugar or artificial sweeteners