Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:38:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686665
  • Total Topics: 118120
  • Online Today: 817
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Impending Crisis to Strike British Wargamers  (Read 5920 times)

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
Impending Crisis to Strike British Wargamers
« on: August 07, 2019, 07:28:58 PM »
Well, maybe their future basing choices.

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2019/aug/07/royal-mint-paused-creation-of-1p-and-2p-coins-last-year

As they say, save your pennies.  :)
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Shahbahraz

• Mastermind
    • A Lead Odyssey
Re: Impending Crisis to Strike British Wargamers
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2019, 10:59:26 PM »
yep.. I've been anticipating this one for a while. Time to start stockpiling 1 & 2p coins.
Wargaming since the dark ages...

---https://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/---

Offline armchairgeneral

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2019, 11:55:32 AM »
I still have a tin of ½ps when they were discontinued for potential basing but I still haven't found a use for them  :)

Showing my age now  lol

Offline TWD

• Mastermind
    • Tom's Toy Soldiers Blog
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2019, 01:03:22 PM »
The article clearly states that there are no plans to discontinue either coin.
The decline in general use of currency simply means that no more need be made at present as there are enough in circulation to meet demand.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2019, 01:13:02 PM by TWD »

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2019, 04:04:51 PM »
And the article clearly doesn't understand that circulation will drop if more gamers hit their 40's and take up Napoleonic wargaming... :D
2024 Painted Miniatures: 166
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2019, 06:08:45 PM »
Already struck over here, a few years back, in fact.

While the loss of the penny is no annoyance economically, I do have tons of hoarded pennies as they're my primary basing material.

Nickels on the other hand, are great for basing slightly larger figures (only the biggest ones need quarters or washers), but bloody hell are they an oversized annoyance in the pocket.

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline Tactalvanic

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2019, 10:14:39 PM »

Nickels on the other hand, are great for basing slightly larger figures (only the biggest ones need quarters or washers), but bloody hell are they an oversized annoyance in the pocket.

The miniatures or the coins?

halfpence pieces are still available via evil-bay.

even if they did get rid of the 1 pence coins from legal tender, I suspect, given the numbers of them in existence, we will still not run out of them in our lifetimes or two.

We may however, either not be able to afford to buy them, or desperately need them for their original purpose very soon.

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2019, 10:53:58 PM »
Funnily enough, we said the same thing in Oz, thirty odd years ago when the 1 and 2 cent pieces were withdrawn from circulation. It was remarkable how quickly they disappeared and I, like many others, had jars of the bloody things sitting atop the fridge.

The average punter soon gets used to rounding to the nearest five cents and the joy of not having tons of shrapnel in your pocket is soon apparent. People will readily take their penny jars and empty them at bank counters when the time comes.

Offline mcfonz

• Mastermind
    • Poison Spurs - blog and reviews
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2019, 09:10:43 AM »
This is one of those funny moments.

One of the reasons they had been considering removing them from circulation in the UK is the number of them seemingly disappearing into jars, backs of sofas, draws or on the bottom of wargames miniatures. They are out there but not being used which means they were not seeing the value in them circulating.

Personally I have never based on coins for the avbove reason. I prefer plastic bases from renedra and then to afix a magnetic disc to the bottom if I need them to be magnetic for any reason.

I find it amusing that using them as wargaming bases is a contributing factor to the consideration of removing them from circulation and thus scaring those that use them as such that their source of bases may be removed!
RP Tabletop Blog:

RP vlog channel: https://www.youtube.com/@RandomPlatypus

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2019, 10:10:32 AM »
It doesn't seem that long ago they appealed for people to take their copper jars in to banks as there was a shortage of coins.
I don't think I've based figures on coins for nearly thirty years.
But the one musing I've often. Had(but never serious enough to bother looking it up.)
Is Does using coins for figures count under the 1971 currency act as defacing the coinage of the realm.
As its illegal to deface or distroy a coin minted after 1969.(oddly enough its not illegal to physically distroy a note ie burn it . But marking the surface is )
I only know this as I had to sit through a lecture from a museum curator its the only bit of info that stuck from an entire mind numbing day.

Offline Shahbahraz

• Mastermind
    • A Lead Odyssey
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2019, 10:46:35 AM »
I take especial pleasure in super-gluing bases onto the head of the sovereign. I don't believe that gluing things on counts as defacing though.   

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2019, 10:55:30 AM »
I stopped using coins and switched to Renedra plastic bases.

I realised in the dreaded event of a 'spill', figure juggling and general dropping of painted figures, the 1p and 2p would chip the paint off figures they collide with where plastic bases wouldn't.

Offline mcfonz

• Mastermind
    • Poison Spurs - blog and reviews
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2019, 11:12:50 AM »
That and super glue on metal will break far easier than plastic to plastic with plastic glue or super glue. Seen mini's ping off coins when dropped.

Offline Shahbahraz

• Mastermind
    • A Lead Odyssey
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2019, 05:15:04 PM »
I agree, figures can come off coins as bases, but it saves me a separate stage of adding magnetised or steel paper to plastic ones.

Offline Orchomeno

• Assistant
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2019, 05:59:18 PM »
Sticking things to British coins is fine. What you can't do is destroy or break them up, which is bizarre seeing as pointed out above you can destroy notes but not deface them.

My dad taught me these things. Firstly by terrifying a smaller me that he would go to jail for treason by drilling pennies to use as washers. Secondly by burning fivers in a management
meeting to demonstrate how quickly they were losing money.