Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 04:10:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Impending Crisis to Strike British Wargamers  (Read 5967 times)

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
Re: Impending Crisis to Strike British Wargamers
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2019, 07:25:57 PM »
Should I ever have the chance to meet the queen I'd like to think I'll have the good sense not to mention the number of times I've drilled a hole in her head.  ;D

Though pinning's really only necessary for figures with a very small amount of basing surface area. Most of the time plain old 2-part epoxy is more than strong enough. Superglue is no good. Also, always make sure your pennies are clean! Basing on grime and dirt can obviously lead to a poor bond (I actually burnish or sand mine a bit if they're at all used).

I still prefer metal bases over plastic ones for the stability they provide, and since washers of the correct size both cost more than 1c each and have an inconvenient hole in them, well, pennies is an easy winner there. They're also nearly a perfect size for keeping the footprint of the mini bases small, as opposed to most slottas etc. allowing you to place minis far more readily in tighter spaces, thus opening up more terrain options.

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2019, 08:27:32 AM »
I still have a tin of ½ps when they were discontinued for potential basing but I still haven't found a use for them  :)

Showing my age now  lol
I based my Perry sculpted late 19th century British on shillings (okay mainly on full size five pence pieces, not the current smarties ones).

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2019, 08:33:41 AM »
I agree, figures can come off coins as bases, but it saves me a separate stage of adding magnetised or steel paper to plastic ones.
Steel coins are a recent introduction - coppers were non magnetic.

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2019, 08:43:46 AM »
The article clearly states that there are no plans to discontinue either coin.
The decline in general use of currency simply means that no more need be made at present as there are enough in circulation to meet demand.
Another contributing factor was the withdrawal of the chocolate coin format pound coin.

When the deadline for the pound coin loomed, there was a lot of sorting through change boxes - and while they were at it other coins were returned into circulation. No twenty pence pieces were minted (I think) last year.

Offline levied troop

• Mastermind
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2019, 07:14:22 AM »
I do have currently in stock a number of 1p and 2p coins available to the discerning wargamer for 5p/10p respectively  :)
Also, a limited stock of the steel coppers to save you time on steel paper. Phone me for prices lol

If anyone tells you that Wilko’s 25mm steel washers are available in large bags working out at less than 2p each, ignore them, they are black market scum and will be dealt with most harshly!
The League of Gentlemen Anti Alchemists
(We Turn Gold into Lead)

Offline Ninefingers

• Scientist
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2019, 08:14:21 AM »
I take especial pleasure in super-gluing bases onto the head of the sovereign. I don't believe that gluing things on counts as defacing though.

I always glue figures to the reverse of the penny - apart from my 28mm New Model Army,  whose boots are squarely on the face of the monarch!

Offline Shahbahraz

• Mastermind
    • A Lead Odyssey
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2019, 08:25:15 AM »
I always glue figures to the reverse of the penny - apart from my 28mm New Model Army,  whose boots are squarely on the face of the monarch!

Entirely appropriate, and if you read up on what most WW2 British Vets thought of the Royals, it's entirely appropriate for them as well.
Wargaming since the dark ages...

---https://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/---

Offline mcfonz

• Mastermind
    • Poison Spurs - blog and reviews
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2019, 12:40:01 PM »
Most of the time plain old 2-part epoxy is more than strong enough.

Horrible stuff. Only use in utter desperation. Stinks, sets off my asthma and is generally just rubbish to work with.

Not the sort of thing I want to be doing on 20+ miniatures!!
RP Tabletop Blog:

RP vlog channel: https://www.youtube.com/@RandomPlatypus

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2019, 01:46:55 PM »
I take especial pleasure in super-gluing bases onto the head of the sovereign. I don't believe that gluing things on counts as defacing though.

We always glue on the reverse, we have found that figures glued on the face tend to be unlucky, so any bought second hand get carefully checked and if glued on the face only get used when lent to an opponent.
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline Paul @ Empress Miniatures

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2019, 01:59:15 PM »
I never glue a figure to the side with the Queens head on. Seems kinda rude  :)

Offline Shahbahraz

• Mastermind
    • A Lead Odyssey
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2019, 03:52:16 PM »
Guess I'm not much of a anarchist lol but veering dangerously close to politics, so I will leave it there.

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2019, 07:31:45 PM »
Horrible stuff. Only use in utter desperation. Stinks, sets off my asthma and is generally just rubbish to work with.

Not the sort of thing I want to be doing on 20+ miniatures!!
Bit of a pain sometimes, yes, but far stronger than anything else, so I live with the annoyances of it.

Superglue just doesn't do for metals in my experience.

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2019, 10:06:30 PM »
Bit of a pain sometimes, yes, but far stronger than anything else, so I live with the annoyances of it.

Superglue just doesn't do for metals in my experience.

I base figures on washers. I stick ‘em on with superglue. Were I to leave the washer unadorned, I might agree with you. But then the washer and base get a mixture of either:

a) PVA and sand.

b) Superglue and sand.

Which one I use is largely a matter of whim but by the time the basing material is stick to washer and figure base, it’s unlikely to shift easily, even if dropped.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2019, 11:56:37 AM »
When the shilling style five pence was replaced by the "Smartie" style, I ended up with a piece of conduit pipe sharpened on a sander that I used as a punch to make circular bases from plastic sheet.

Figures tended to be superglued (I had one figure I epoxied, bad mix that was still weeping three years later after application with of more epoxy, milliput, superglue, Humbrol enamels....). The bases are then smoothed with milliput and then PVA followed by  gritty stuff (now fine model railway ballast).

Sometimes when dropped the figure plus sculpted base would shear the off coin in one piece.

Offline Condottiere

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2019, 02:15:25 PM »
Guess I'm not much of a anarchist lol but veering dangerously close to politics, so I will leave it there.
Don't you mean anorakist?  :D