Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:41:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686604
  • Total Topics: 118111
  • Online Today: 626
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 5
Guests: 493
Total: 498

Recent

Author Topic: Impending Crisis to Strike British Wargamers  (Read 5919 times)

Offline Shahbahraz

• Mastermind
    • A Lead Odyssey
Re: Impending Crisis to Strike British Wargamers
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2019, 01:17:39 PM »
Don't you mean anorakist?  :D
Spool chicken strikes again.  I typed monarchist.
Wargaming since the dark ages...

---https://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/---

Offline Shahbahraz

• Mastermind
    • A Lead Odyssey
« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2019, 01:45:00 PM »
When the shilling style five pence was replaced by the "Smartie" style, I ended up with a piece of conduit pipe sharpened on a sander that I used as a punch to make circular bases from plastic sheet.

Figures tended to be superglued (I had one figure I epoxied, bad mix that was still weeping three years later after application with of more epoxy, milliput, superglue, Humbrol enamels....). The bases are then smoothed with milliput and then PVA followed by  gritty stuff (now fine model railway ballast).

Sometimes when dropped the figure plus sculpted base would shear the off coin in one piece.

I have to go back to a few of my figures. Most of my current builds are Perry plastics and metals, which is no problem, glued directly to coins, then I add PVA + sand. I have had one crack off the base when dropped, but generally they are very robust. I di make a stupid mistake with support troops in Chain of Command where I uses Warlord plastics an glued the whole round plastic base on to a coin, which isn't a good bond. I should have used plastic cement to weld the figs on to the warlord plastic bases, then clipped the base smaller, then glued on, so the PVA and sand mix acts to help hold the plastic base to the coin.

Offline Volleyfire!

• Scientist
  • At 100 yards................Volleyfire!!!
« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2019, 07:34:51 PM »
Having watched a piece on BBC 1's 'Click' programme this morning I think it might be time to start stockpiling after all. They had a debit card on which can read your thumb print. You place your thumb on at 5 different angles so it can build up a picture, and then you're good to go. It is anticipated that this will be so secure that they will be able to lift spending limits on these cards, which automatically does away with the need to carry cash.

Offline Ninefingers

• Scientist
« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2019, 08:05:32 AM »
Having watched a piece on BBC 1's 'Click' programme this morning I think it might be time to start stockpiling after all. They had a debit card on which can read your thumb print. You place your thumb on at 5 different angles so it can build up a picture, and then you're good to go. It is anticipated that this will be so secure that they will be able to lift spending limits on these cards, which automatically does away with the need to carry cash.
The only time I take out cash now is to pay subs at wargames club.

Offline Just a few orcs

• Assistant
« Reply #34 on: September 30, 2019, 12:44:46 AM »
I base my 25/28mm figures on 25mm washers. I bought 2000 of them some years back and still have a lot left.

The use of more steel in the british coins means they are now magnetic, so I base my 20mm ww2 figures on them.  If they announce their withdrawal I will go and get £20 of pennies and 2p pieces from the bank. That should see me out.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2019, 07:40:22 PM »
And the article clearly doesn't understand that circulation will drop if more gamers hit their 40's and take up Napoleonic wargaming... :D

lol lol