Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:00:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: AKULA’s Mega-City One (pg9 a bit of paint on the bases)  (Read 17566 times)

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: AKULA’s Mega-City One (pg4 H-Wagon & Mega Block idea)
« Reply #75 on: August 22, 2019, 11:12:42 PM »
I'm loving the whole idea.
As you mentioned turbo lifts and landing pads It occurred to me that one of these might work better inverted with just the lift at ground level and a nice wide landing pad for the The ship(which I particularly like. It was always my favorite thunderbird) and room to skirmish.

Offline Splod

• Mad Scientist
  • Flittering from one project to another
« Reply #76 on: August 23, 2019, 05:53:47 AM »
The forced perspective is a really clever concept, but I'm not sure it translates to the tabletop as effectively as it could. I fear it detracts from the rest of the board and doesn't add enough value to the project. Rather than trying to build the ground level I feel either a plain black baseboard or a bird's eye photo of an industrial/urban sprawl would give a suitable feeling of distance to the build.

Having said that, you're already further along in your Dredd project than I've ever made it with mine  ;D

So you do you, and I'll be eagerly watching.

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #77 on: August 23, 2019, 10:12:44 AM »
Awesome! I for one love the whole forced perspective thing; it adds just that little bit extra IMHO.

...thinking of a “turbo lift” on each level to represent moving from floor to floor...or should I not worry about it...just assume there is a lift and you move from floor to floor...straying towards making a lift....Thinking of representing with a bit of piping...

Why not off-set the floors of the tower so they're all even on one side. That's where you can then add the turbolift pipe, outside of the tower footprint...
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline Hobby Services

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #78 on: August 23, 2019, 01:42:33 PM »
I'm late to the party here, but a quick poke around online tells me they make a wide variety of those cupcake display stands, many of which have a single central tube as a support.  They wouldn't be as stable and sturdy as the design you've got here, but they'd also make the "lift shaft" thing effortless.  You might be able to get spare tubes and add extras for extra durability/multiple lift tubes as well.  Also, take a look at "champagne glass cupcake towers" for an instant "dome topper with aerial dock/antenna platform" piece.

Kind of amazed how much of this stuff there is.

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #79 on: August 24, 2019, 05:53:32 AM »
Nice find (are they £10-15 with cupcakes?).

I look forward to seeing the buildings finished.

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #80 on: August 24, 2019, 06:17:29 AM »
:o :o This is wild! I love the mere concept :-*

Thank you mate

:)

I'm loving the whole idea.
As you mentioned turbo lifts and landing pads It occurred to me that one of these might work better inverted with just the lift at ground level and a nice wide landing pad for the The ship(which I particularly like. It was always my favorite thunderbird) and room to skirmish.

An inverted “cone” would look pretty cool, but for now at least, I’ll stick to the upright variety, not least because I would have to either heavily weight the lower section, or permanently attach it to the baseboard.

If I didn’t it would topple over when I put said large ship (it’s over a foot long, and almost as wide) at the top....and that is even before Mason leans on the table  ;) :D

The forced perspective is a really clever concept, but I'm not sure it translates to the tabletop as effectively as it could. I fear it detracts from the rest of the board and doesn't add enough value to the project. Rather than trying to build the ground level I feel either a plain black baseboard or a bird's eye photo of an industrial/urban sprawl would give a suitable feeling of distance to the build.

Having said that, you're already further along in your Dredd project than I've ever made it with mine  ;D

So you do you, and I'll be eagerly watching.

Maybe, but I’m going to stick with the little cars & buildings. I enjoy having a go at new approaches (and like seeing them in other peoples games)...even if it helps other people to decide it’s bonkers and a waste of time  :D

Awesome! I for one love the whole forced perspective thing; it adds just that little bit extra IMHO.

Why not off-set the floors of the tower so they're all even on one side. That's where you can then add the turbolift pipe, outside of the tower footprint...

Thanks. Good idea about the lift I might try that for some of the blocks - if nothing else it will give me a bit of variety in the shape.

I'm late to the party here, but a quick poke around online tells me they make a wide variety of those cupcake display stands, many of which have a single central tube as a support.  They wouldn't be as stable and sturdy as the design you've got here, but they'd also make the "lift shaft" thing effortless.  You might be able to get spare tubes and add extras for extra durability/multiple lift tubes as well.  Also, take a look at "champagne glass cupcake towers" for an instant "dome topper with aerial dock/antenna platform" piece.

Kind of amazed how much of this stuff there is.

Yeah, I looked at the central tube variety before buying the design that I did - as you said I liked the tube as a way of representing the lift, but they looked a bit wobbly tbh. Might get one or two to play about with once I’ve made some progress with the ones I’ve got.

Like you say, there is all sorts of crazy stuff online that can be used for projects

Nice find (are they £10-15 with cupcakes?).

I look forward to seeing the buildings finished.

The stands fall into the £8-£20 range (the latter being the 7-tier sort)...majority are £10-14 which as a starting point for a building of this size is excellent value for money.  No cupcakes included though  :(

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Re: AKULA’s Mega-City One (pg6 some progress on the first Block)
« Reply #81 on: August 26, 2019, 06:34:06 PM »
Bit of progress on the first Block....

I decided to start at the top, and work my way down, on the basis that the turbo lift will be relatively central....still plenty to do even at this stage...the observation tier needs some additional decoration, and the “roof” will eventually have some sort of dome/antenna/vents to give some cover for anyone that decides the rooftop is a good sniping position. I also need to add a couple of Stanchions to mask the joins on the exterior wall.

The lift is a piece of plumbers pipe with a mantic starship door attached. The reverse side of the observation deck has more floor space (as the lift sits within the nearest quarter rather than being central), but will be a single room - the lower 5 tiers have greater floor space, and so will lend themselves more to being subdivided.

The exterior wall is just representative, and as it’s the observation level, there is 360 degree vision .... the exterior wall also has a second purpose, of stopping figures from taking a swan dive off of the top of the block.

« Last Edit: August 26, 2019, 06:47:36 PM by AKULA »

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #82 on: August 26, 2019, 08:20:10 PM »
Nice start!
 8)

Looking forward to seeing this grow.

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #83 on: August 26, 2019, 09:10:34 PM »
Cool!

A very promising start.

Offline Splod

• Mad Scientist
  • Flittering from one project to another
« Reply #84 on: August 26, 2019, 09:55:11 PM »
Great start! Maybe the greenery is still a little bit too 'plastic'? I've had some success with a light green spray and some pigments to knock the artificial edge off them.

I feel like I'm just being really critical in this thread; I do really enjoy what you're doing!

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #85 on: August 26, 2019, 10:03:25 PM »
Great start! Maybe the greenery is still a little bit too 'plastic'? I've had some success with a light green spray and some pigments to knock the artificial edge off them.

Ah! This is MC-1, maybe the trees actually ARE plastic.
 ;)

Offline Muzfish4

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #86 on: August 27, 2019, 08:07:44 AM »
Looks great - very interested to see how this develops.

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Re: AKULA’s Mega-City One (pg6 Pat Wagon)
« Reply #87 on: August 27, 2019, 04:20:36 PM »
Struggled with the heat today to concentrate, so I didn’t make a lot of progress on the Block.

Instead I painted up a Pat Wagon

What’s that I heard you say...you’d like to see some photos of it next to the H-Wagon?

« Last Edit: August 27, 2019, 04:22:28 PM by AKULA »

Offline voltan

• Mastermind
« Reply #88 on: August 27, 2019, 04:27:31 PM »
Can we expect a manta next?
Yvan eht nioj!

Offline dwbullock

• Scientist
« Reply #89 on: August 27, 2019, 05:20:06 PM »
I'm intrigued by your use of the cake stands.  I poked around and noticed that, in the states, that style appears to be hard to find.  Lot of single post supports, but not a lot of those 'squarish' supports to be found.  Thought I could use the idea for some elevation in an industrial/necromunda type terrain.  Just need to imagine a reason to have the towers in the first place....

I'm curious - do you plan on just having the 'lift' run through the entire set, or do you intend to put up some walls on some of the tiers?