Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:46:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: AKULA’s Mega-City One (pg9 a bit of paint on the bases)  (Read 17577 times)

Online AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
AKULA’s Mega-City One (pg9 a bit of paint on the bases)
« on: August 09, 2019, 10:52:48 AM »
It’s not an exaggeration to say that I’ve been toying with this project for the past two decades, but hopefully my fellow LAF’ers can keep me motivated to produce something this time, having in the past collected (and sold) my 2000AD collection on 3 separate occasions...the original role playing game, Slaughter Margin etc and then the Block Mania game/expansion....I dread to think what I’ve spent on this genre with literally nothing to show for it, so I’m now starting from scratch.

My end goal is to produce a table representing a small chunk of MC-1 that can be used for general games, but also for Block Wars.

Initial thoughts

-I’m not going to represent the city from ground level

-Base boards will start “mid-block” creating islands connected by walkways/roads

-Will try to make the building interiors playable, but

-the game focus will largely be upon the exterior plazas/walkways/balconies

The trigger for starting this now was my flooded city project...again designed around rooftop action, in effect islands on the board....that, and the previews of the new Warlord range.

Will aim to get a test piece knocked up by the end of the weekend.

:)
« Last Edit: September 29, 2019, 07:39:13 PM by AKULA »

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
Re: AKULA’s Mega-City One Project
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2019, 10:56:04 AM »
Looking forward to seeing where you go with this

Offline Dr. Zombie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2019, 10:59:51 AM »
This is definitely one to follow.

Online YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2019, 11:00:32 AM »
Yup, this is going to be good.
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2019, 11:38:04 AM »
Well, get on with it then  ;D
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2019, 11:51:45 AM »
Pulls up a chair and waits patiently.......

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2019, 01:21:58 PM »
Sounds drokkin' good.

One idea I've toyed about for my 2000AD stuff, never realized, but which I think you could pull off - maybe have the actual table surface covered in a mat featuring an "illusion painting", so where the structures of the blocks would sit, there'd be a faux-perspective image of the block continuing down.

Something like this:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-FkS485eHG2s/VngdE02YwdI/AAAAAAAAh6I/s5ufxYOmZYU/s1600/matte%2Bpainting%2Bstrange%2Btales%2Bralph%2Bmcquarrie%2Bempire%2Bstrikes%2Bback%2Breactor%2Bshaft2.jpg

It would limit the placement of blocks somewhat, but if done well, the effect could be interesting.

Offline Brandlin

• Mad Scientist
    • Brandlin
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2019, 01:36:01 PM »
The problem with forced perspective art is that it can be incredibly good, but only from a single very specific viewing point.

Offline nozza_uk

• Mad Scientist
    • The wargaming world of Nozza
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2019, 02:05:34 PM »
Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

Always wondered how wise it is of the Justice Dept to provide weaponry to block Citi-Def units, when the general consensus of the Judges is that they're dangerous clowns!

Offline Andym

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2019, 07:02:58 PM »
Nooooooooooo! lol Only kidding! ;)

Can't wait to see what you pull off here mate! Have you thought what models you're going to use or are you waiting for the Warlord game? Maybe have a board ready when the new game comes out?

Best tip I can give(and I suppose it's only worth it if you want a busy populated board?) Is to use 1:48 scale railway people for civilians.

Are you thinking of going comic book style Dredd or Karl Urban style?

Online AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2019, 08:34:13 PM »
Well, get on with it then  ;D

Doing my best...will post something up tomorrow  ;)

One idea I've toyed about for my 2000AD stuff, never realized, but which I think you could pull off - maybe have the actual table surface covered in a mat featuring an "illusion painting", so where the structures of the blocks would sit, there'd be a faux-perspective image of the block continuing down.

An option...I have been looking at some birds-eye photos and whether they could be printed large enough to be of use, but I’m not sure it’s the route I want to go down.

The problem with forced perspective art is that it can be incredibly good, but only from a single very specific viewing point.

Very true...and I’m afraid I’m not smart enough to make it work, but I’ll see what everyone thinks of the test-piece

Nooooooooooo! lol Only kidding! ;)

To be fair it’s all your fault...I’ve been rereading your thread from start to finish.

:D

Have you thought what models you're going to use or are you waiting for the Warlord game? Maybe have a board ready when the new game comes out?

I’ve been hoovering up some of the OOP Mongoose Judges and a few Foundry the last week or so, probably causing a small spike in eBay prices, but I’m hoping they won’t look out of place with the new Warlord range.

As much as I’d love to have a board ready for when the new game comes out (November?) I’ll settle for having a project that is chugging along nicely.

Best tip I can give(and I suppose it's only worth it if you want a busy populated board?) Is to use 1:48 scale railway people for civilians.

Definitely an option (I saw at BLAM first hand what a great job you did with them), but I’ve also got a whole bunch of left over figures from my previous projects that might be press-ganged as well.

Are you thinking of going comic book style Dredd or Karl Urban style?

Buildings-wise I’m thinking much more the comic book style, although when it comes to the figures I’m afraid my brush skills are a bit feeble compared to yours.

Obviously can’t build the following, but it’s the sort of thing that inspires me (along with the artwork in my original post).

Offline voltan

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2019, 09:28:40 PM »
This should be suitably mental, I'm sure the rest of the Akky household is already sick of you yelling Drokk and Meatball at random.
I’ve been hoovering up some of the OOP Mongoose Judges and a few Foundry the last week or so, probably causing a small spike in eBay prices,

Excellent, I might dig out the random assortment I have and stick them up  ;D
Yvan eht nioj!

Online AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2019, 09:38:11 PM »
Excellent, I might dig out the random assortment I have and stick them up  ;D

I’m pretty sorted for now....until the new Warlord range comes out.

Unless of course you’ve got an Electro-cordon or two...

;)

Offline voltan

• Mastermind
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2019, 09:48:29 PM »
No sorry, at least I don't think so, but all sort of crap turns up when I'm looking for something else, I really need to have a clear out. Anyway enough derailing of this thread, have you considered doing a smog layer at the bottom of the board to help blend in whatever you end up doing to give the impression of depth?

Online AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2019, 09:53:06 PM »
Anyway enough derailing of this thread, have you considered doing a smog layer at the bottom of the board to help blend in whatever you end up doing to give the impression of depth?

Yup...just not sure how well I can execute it.

lol