Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 10:46:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686647
  • Total Topics: 118117
  • Online Today: 788
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: AKULA’s Mega-City One (pg9 a bit of paint on the bases)  (Read 17593 times)

Offline voltan

• Mastermind
Re: AKULA’s Mega-City One Project
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2019, 09:26:59 AM »
Had a thought, in the great model railway challenge last year, Aberdeen MRC's winning layout had a cloud effect that looked good, could be worth checking out.
Yvan eht nioj!

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2019, 10:26:21 AM »
Had a thought, in the great model railway challenge last year, Aberdeen MRC's winning layout had a cloud effect that looked good, could be worth checking out.

This?

Hmm...the clouds/smog look a little overpowering...more sort of God’s of Olympus than Mega City One personally...

Offline voltan

• Mastermind
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2019, 10:32:23 AM »
Yeah that, looks brighter than I remember.

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2019, 10:48:30 AM »
I look forward to seeing what you come up with as I have had an idea for a 'rooftops' game for ages but could not settle on a suitable feel for the 'between the buildings' bit of the plan.
A kind of 'smog' thing was the obvious answer, but have yet to see something that really works for me.

So, crack on then, so that I can steal all your best ideas.
 :D

Online Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2019, 10:56:08 AM »
Hot damn, as a big Dredd fan (a big shelf in the large bookcase is now crammed with the Complete Dredd Files - I'm now up to #32) I am so looking forward to this.

For some reason, the first thing that occurred to me was my daughter's marble run game (bear with me). You build the towers up and the variously shaped inter-connecting ramps are interchangeable and will fit in a number of combinations. It doesn't matter if you build the height of a tower up with ramp pieces or tower pieces, they're the same height and the towers will interconnect with each other no matter what combination you use.  I don't know how feasible it would be to make modular towers from something like insulation board with the interconnecting ramp sections (perhaps with supporting pillar sections as well for longer roadways) from plywood or something.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2019, 11:24:39 AM »
I look forward to seeing what you come up with as I have had an idea for a 'rooftops' game for ages but could not settle on a suitable feel for the 'between the buildings' bit of the plan.
A kind of 'smog' thing was the obvious answer, but have yet to see something that really works for me.

So, crack on then, so that I can steal all your best ideas.
 :D

No pressure then....I hope it’s not an anti-climax

:?

For some reason, the first thing that occurred to me was my daughter's marble run game (bear with me). You build the towers up and the variously shaped inter-connecting ramps are interchangeable and will fit in a number of combinations. It doesn't matter if you build the height of a tower up with ramp pieces or tower pieces, they're the same height and the towers will interconnect with each other no matter what combination you use.  I don't know how feasible it would be to make modular towers from something like insulation board with the interconnecting ramp sections (perhaps with supporting pillar sections as well for longer roadways) from plywood or something.

While I’ve not seen your daughter’s marble game, I suspect the principle is pretty similar to what I have in mind.

Plazas/balconies will be at fairly consistent levels, and the interconnecting roads/pedways will be separate items that will either sit on, or be flush with, the different levels and so there will a reasonable degree of interchangeability. I’m going to avoid supporting pillars where possible, as you’ll understand when you see the test board.

:)

Offline Romark

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2019, 11:54:36 AM »
This sounds great  :-*

Online Cubs

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2019, 12:20:39 PM »

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2019, 01:31:03 PM »
Here’s a solution, just build from the floor up. No need for a table that way  :D
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2019, 04:24:23 PM »
Here’s a solution, just build from the floor up. No need for a table that way  :D

lol

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2019, 04:36:15 PM »
As someone who has never gotten a Dredd project off the ground, I am following with interest.

a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2019, 04:40:18 PM »
Ok, here is the test piece....hopefully not too much of a disappointment, but should give you an idea of what I have in mind.

Brief caveat..still a WIP so only a basic paint job, and joins like the curved roads need filling, the buildings aren’t stuck down and the plaza itself only has a base coat - I just wanted to post something up today to give you the gist.

I know I could probably have been clever with the walls and angled them outwards to increase the effect, but the final board will of course have a building on it to draw the eye upwards....bit of a false test I guess because all you are going to do is stare at the base  :D

The base board is 600mm x 400mm, the “height” of the walls is 50mm to the bottom of the plaza base, and the plaza base is an irregular shape, and offset against the base - I didn’t want near right angles on the table.

The plaza base is intentionally thick (10mm) - upper levels will be thinner...again to try and trick the eye. For now, at least, I’ve left the walls completely bare -  adding detail will only IMHO draw the eye down....might give it as wash though to grubby it up.

The figure is one of my old 28mm Space Opera minis for scale purposes.

Comments/thoughts welcome.

A peek over the edge....

So is it worth pursuing, or have I just wasted my time this weekend?

:?

Offline Brandlin

• Mad Scientist
    • Brandlin
Re: AKULA’s Mega-City One Project (pg2 test board)
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2019, 04:55:19 PM »
This?

Yes that.

I watched the show hoping to see something interesting - other than discovering kathy Millat's you tube channel (she was the female judge) i thought the bulk of the show was patronising, dumbing down and driven by TV execs and production crews who new nothing about the subject matter and did th usual false deadline style malarky to try and inject drama... awful tosh!

Sady I thought that effort with the scifi element and the clouds was pretty poor - mostly driven by the deadlines.

Online Cubs

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2019, 05:03:43 PM »
I love it! That's great imaginative work, with the tiny cars on the distant road.

Offline Brandlin

• Mad Scientist
    • Brandlin
« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2019, 05:04:05 PM »

This isn't as daft as it sounds.

The bottom line is that the easiest way to achieve a sense of height/depth is to actually have height/depth.
You don't need to be able to play on the lower levels - realistically you'll only play on the 600mm from table height upwards but having towers that reach down below the table heigh (like roots) and roadways between them can be far less detailed, darker in colour as you get progressively lower and will give much better perspective that photographs, smog or art work.

EDIT : Akula - you poste while i was typing!

Looks good... but you know you need 2mm figures on the floort level, 6mm figures at coffee table height, 15mm figures at table height and then 28mm figures at playing height to further force the perspective!

Its the kind of approach that would motivate me to build large terrain again..

« Last Edit: August 11, 2019, 05:06:27 PM by Brandlin »