Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 04:04:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: AKULA’s Mega-City One (pg9 a bit of paint on the bases)  (Read 17687 times)

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
Re: AKULA’s Mega-City One Project (pg2 test board)
« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2019, 05:38:24 PM »
That is far more interesting than what I had in mind, and I say it looks very effective.

The areas between the roads feels a bit open (i.e. more buildings?), but that may just be due to the bare MDF showing.

But the overall effect is very good and impressively practical.

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2019, 06:45:04 PM »
I love it! That's great imaginative work, with the tiny cars on the distant road.

Thanks...I thought I was losing my marbles painting tiny little bits of card

;D

Looks good... but you know you need 2mm figures on the floor level, 6mm figures at coffee table height, 15mm figures at table height and then 28mm figures at playing height to further force the perspective!

Sounds great, but I’ll pass .... I want to get a table built before I’m too old to see the figures

:D ;)

The areas between the roads feels a bit open (i.e. more buildings?), but that may just be due to the bare MDF showing.

It’s actually brown paint....I primed the board with grey & then added a watered down brown which gave me “mdf colour” again  lol

Like I said, it’s only got a basic paint job at the moment, I’m going to try give the brown a bit more colour differential for “smog”, and then have the hint of some lights, or the outline of buildings underneath.

:)
« Last Edit: August 11, 2019, 06:52:28 PM by AKULA »

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2019, 06:58:38 PM »
Maybe add some tiny flying cars on strong transparent nylon wire (so that they don't snap off at a careless gamers' finger's touch)?

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2019, 09:41:09 PM »
… and big mo-pads and trucks on the road! … and sky-surfers and bat gliders in the air! … and the odd mad Boinger!

Too exciting, too many options.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Oldben1

• Mastermind
    • My Terrain Projects
« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2019, 03:01:05 AM »
That’s really creative!

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2019, 12:42:35 PM »
That is brilliant, Matt!
Inspired.
 8) 8)

… and big mo-pads and trucks on the road! … and sky-surfers and bat gliders in the air! … and the odd mad Boinger!

Too exciting, too many options.

Indeed!
It could become a project all of it's own.

Offline Braz

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #36 on: August 12, 2019, 02:30:10 PM »
Really nice. If you mute the colours of the entire lower board maybe towards a uniform light greyscale with very light pastels for colour it will not draw the eye and appear further away.

Or how about placing the buildings on a mirror/frosted reflective surface then the buildings would appear to extend down into the  table as high as the buildings are. Put cars and people underneath the sky bridges and platforms and they will reflect as if they are lower below.

Looking forward to seeing more.

Online DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Ghazkull‘s Favorite Brainboy
« Reply #37 on: August 13, 2019, 05:37:55 AM »
This is just....großartig! I love the idea of simulated height and playing Dredd on a board in „space“, that is only connected via bridges.

There was a similar approach by someone to build a Rogue One diorama showing the battle of Scarif. I’ll see if I can find it.

Offline bermanj

• Bookworm
    • My Blog
« Reply #38 on: August 13, 2019, 07:33:31 AM »
At this year's Little Wars in Melbourne Australia we played a 'in the clouds' style board.  We used pillow stuffing for the clouds (we put some flickering electric tea lights underneath) and it worked well.

https://southernbermanblog.blogspot.com/2019/05/little-wars-2019-what-happened.html

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #39 on: August 14, 2019, 09:59:41 AM »
Nice work on that Matt
How big is the final board going to be?
Is this for a single block and are there going to be more of what you have made so for for each different block?
Also could do with something in the middle distance if you know what I mean, at the moment it looks like a single tall tower rising way above the rest of the city

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
« Reply #40 on: August 17, 2019, 08:54:44 AM »
Thanks everyone for your comments, and constructive suggestions.

Really nice. If you mute the colours of the entire lower board maybe towards a uniform light greyscale with very light pastels for colour it will not draw the eye and appear further away.

A good idea, but it might not be entirely necessary - at the moment I’ve got a single baseboard with nothing on top of it, so the focus of the photo (and the eye) is naturally upon the little roads/buildings,  it once I’ve got more boards made up, and there are some buildings sitting on top, I think that will draw the eye up....will have to see.

Nice work on that Matt
How big is the final board going to be?
Is this for a single block and are there going to be more of what you have made so for for each different block?
Also could do with something in the middle distance if you know what I mean, at the moment it looks like a single tall tower rising way above the rest of the city

To be honest...as big as I can make it - this is a main project rather than a side one for me, so I’ve already mentally given myself permission for it to spiral out of control...

:D

My table is c12’ x 4’ So I could comfortably fit 16-18 boards of this size on the table...the limiting factor will be how quickly I can build...some boards will end up as plazas (so essentially a flattop with some small scenic items for cover).

The plus side is that as each board represents the top of a Block, I don’t need to worry about the block building looking too small, or narrow - it is literally the top end afterall.

Re: middle distance - again I think having additional tall blocks will help, but I’m planning a couple of boards where the “plaza level” will have a smaller footprint, and so there will be more scope for inbetween-sized buildings to poke up.....they will be fairly limited in number though, because th entire buildings that go above the 50mm height of the plaza level, the less flexibility I will have to add interconnecting roads/pedways.

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
« Reply #41 on: August 17, 2019, 05:16:47 PM »
Some Citi-Defence

These are some of my old Galactic Armies Space Opera Project (sold to Hasslefree but they haven’t reappeared yet). I’ve just added some shoulder/knee pads to them. As they’ve got separate heads, I’ll probably add some more with helmets later on.

I haven’t decided what to do with the bases yet, so have left them plain for now.

The mobile rocket battery is also a leftover from my Space Opera Project.

Offline voltan

• Mastermind
Re: AKULA’s Mega-City One Project (pg3 Citi Def)
« Reply #42 on: August 17, 2019, 07:50:17 PM »
Most important question, which block are they from?
Yvan eht nioj!

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
« Reply #43 on: August 17, 2019, 09:07:01 PM »
Most important question, which block are they from?

I’m coming up with a shortlist, but I’m open to suggestions....

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #44 on: August 18, 2019, 05:43:42 AM »
I’m coming up with a shortlist, but I’m open to suggestions....

The colour scheme got me thinking%

Louis Walsh Block
Michael Flatley Block
Granny Smith Block

The concept for this is very clever.