Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:08:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: AKULA’s Mega-City One (pg9 a bit of paint on the bases)  (Read 17570 times)

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
Re: AKULA’s Mega-City One (pg4 H-Wagon & Mega Block idea)
« Reply #60 on: August 21, 2019, 11:28:54 AM »
Thanks mate....and even better they are very good value as well....even the tallest ones are only £10-15 post free...compare that to a MDF kit on a similar scale.

By the looks of it, they are made with slots to attach the supports to the base (to avoid clumsy oafs like you wiping out the cupcakes at a wedding), but adding flooring, and then strengthening the support uprights should prevent any domino effect.

:)

Sounds like it will be solid enough then.

I had an adea ages ago for doing a 'Block-War' game, but the buildings would have been 2D (think the Block War game from GW, but pimped up a bit) but that went on the back burner.
I don't think I will do that now as it would look a bit naff compared to what you are planning (and what Andy has already done), but the long-ago-mentioned 'JD Supermarket Sweep' game is still a goer and may well be done next year now that I have the shelves sourced.

I shall be following this with much interest for clever ideas to steal for that project, of course.
 ;) :D

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #61 on: August 21, 2019, 12:45:43 PM »
Cracking update mate! :-* Thunder-Judge 2 looks great and that’s an inspired idea for the blocks. I had toyed with the idea of using plastic bins for Stars Wars Legion Bespin table.

Thanks Andy, just hope they look as good when they arrive...in which case I’ll be ordering a van load.

I had an idea ages ago for doing a 'Block-War' game, but the buildings would have been 2D (think the Block War game from GW, but pimped up a bit) but that went on the back burner.
I don't think I will do that now as it would look a bit naff compared to what you are planning (and what Andy has already done), but the long-ago-mentioned 'JD Supermarket Sweep' game is still a goer and may well be done next year now that I have the shelves sourced.

“Supermarket sweep”?

At the risk of derailing my own thread, I think that needs more explanation... 

Second thoughts....no it really doesn’t (thanks Nozza)

;)
« Last Edit: August 21, 2019, 03:47:21 PM by AKULA »

Offline nozza_uk

• Mad Scientist
    • The wargaming world of Nozza
« Reply #62 on: August 21, 2019, 02:51:13 PM »
Thanks Andy, just hope they look as good when they arrive...in which case I’ll be ordering a van load.

“Supermarket sweep”?

At the risk of derailing my own thread, I think that needs more explanation...  lol

This is the UK version of Supermarket Sweep https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FESeyvQHjTQ  lol

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #63 on: August 21, 2019, 03:44:55 PM »
Thanks Nozza...I know what the programme is, I just didn’t know how Mason was going to relate it to Judge Dredd.

::)

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
« Reply #64 on: August 21, 2019, 05:00:07 PM »
Thanks Nozza...I know what the programme is, I just didn’t know how Mason was going to relate it to Judge Dredd.

::)

All will be revealed soon enough.....
 ;)

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #65 on: August 21, 2019, 05:00:41 PM »
Cracking update mate! :-* Thunder-Judge 2 looks great and that’s an inspired idea for the blocks. I had toyed with the idea of using plastic bins for Stars Wars Legion Bespin table.
You don't have SW Legion :D

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #66 on: August 22, 2019, 04:04:53 PM »
Before the thread goes irretrievably off topic, here is a quick photo of one of the stands in situ on the base board...the 7-tier is actually a little too wide for this board , but the 5-tier fits on it comfortably. As the base boards are 400mm wide, and the diameter of the base of the 7-tier is 375mm, I’ll just make a couple of the baseboards with larger plazas.

Just to reiterate they are acrylic...the brown almost mdf look is just protective paper which I haven’t peeled off yet.

As you can see from the figures in the photo, there is plenty of room to access even the middle of the lowest level.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2019, 04:07:55 PM by AKULA »

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
« Reply #67 on: August 22, 2019, 05:44:48 PM »
They will do the job nicely!
 8) 8)

You could still use the seven tier jobbie by having the tiers bulge out in the middle and come back in to a smaller size at the bottom.
 ;)

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #68 on: August 22, 2019, 05:45:16 PM »
That's quick work :-* :-* :-*
Looking fine with the paper in place

Offline Andym

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #69 on: August 22, 2019, 06:27:02 PM »
You could a dome on the top of that. It's be like icing on the cake tiers. It would finish the tops off nicely. Either that or a bundle of aerials and mobile phone masts.

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #70 on: August 22, 2019, 06:38:47 PM »
They will do the job nicely!
 8) 8)

You could still use the seven tier jobbie by having the tiers bulge out in the middle and come back in to a smaller size at the bottom.
 ;)

Don’t worry they will get used, but I’ll just make a few slightly wider plazas....1 built ...room for another 17

;)

That's quick work :-* :-* :-*
Looking fine with the paper in place

They literally take 30 seconds to build.....this is just for the photo, I’m going to take a bit of time adding in some foamex flooring, some indicative walls, and building up the upright supports..

You could a dome on the top of that. It's be like icing on the cake tiers. It would finish the tops off nicely. Either that or a bundle of aerials and mobile phone masts.

Yup...dome...masts....hoverpad....or a citi-def missile battery....

Off to check out the size/cost of some plastic bowls....hmmm....I wonder if I could mug a few cyclists for their helmets....?

;)

What do you think:

1) thought I’d leave the paper on the ceiling of each level...will probably take the primer better?
2) thinking of a “turbo lift” on each level to represent moving from floor to floor...or should I not worry about it...just assume there is a lift and you move from floor to floor...straying towards making a lift....Thinking of representing with a bit of piping...

Offline Andym

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #71 on: August 22, 2019, 06:51:43 PM »
A bit of piping and just cast the doors mate. Make an initial one that can be used everywhere. I keep meaning to do it for my own project. Make a bundle of sci fi doors and windows that I can copy/cast.

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #72 on: August 22, 2019, 07:08:06 PM »
Cool!!

Regarding the lift, you could have it on one of the existing uprights - would be a bit 2D, but would probably work. If you use pipe for the lift, it will take up a fair bit of floor space on the upper levels.

I’m not sure about leaving the paper on, and painting over, I suspect it would peel off fairly easily.

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #73 on: August 22, 2019, 07:41:37 PM »
A bit of piping and just cast the doors mate. Make an initial one that can be used everywhere. I keep meaning to do it for my own project. Make a bundle of sci fi doors and windows that I can copy/cast.

Maybe....Was thinking of using some Mantic doors...will see how I get on.

Cool!!

Regarding the lift, you could have it on one of the existing uprights - would be a bit 2D, but would probably work. If you use pipe for the lift, it will take up a fair bit of floor space on the upper levels.

I’m not sure about leaving the paper on, and painting over, I suspect it would peel off fairly easily.

Thanks, I expect you are right on the paper, but I’ll probably go with a 3D lift if I can find something that doesn’t take up too much space.

Offline Suber

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #74 on: August 22, 2019, 09:38:07 PM »
 :o :o This is wild! I love the mere concept :-*