Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:02:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686596
  • Total Topics: 118110
  • Online Today: 572
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: AKULA’s Mega-City One (pg9 a bit of paint on the bases)  (Read 17584 times)

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Re: AKULA’s Mega-City One (pg6 Pat Wagon)
« Reply #90 on: August 27, 2019, 09:07:59 PM »
I feel like I'm just being really critical in this thread; I do really enjoy what you're doing!

Not at all...the plants are a bit shiny...I’ll have a look at them at some point.

Can we expect a manta next?

I’m not sure about next, but I did pick one up from Col. Stone...  :D

I'm curious - do you plan on just having the 'lift' run through the entire set, or do you intend to put up some walls on some of the tiers?

Hmmm....not sure yet....”plan” might be too strong a word

lol
« Last Edit: August 27, 2019, 09:32:42 PM by AKULA »

Offline voltan

• Mastermind
Re: AKULA’s Mega-City One (pg6 some progress on the first Block)
« Reply #91 on: August 27, 2019, 09:30:16 PM »
I’m not sure about next, but I did pick one up from Col. Stone...  :D

Volvo variant?
Yvan eht nioj!

Offline steders

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #92 on: August 28, 2019, 06:47:54 AM »
Cake stands for buildings!?

Idea stolen

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #93 on: August 28, 2019, 10:26:46 AM »
Nice motor!
 :-*

I know about estate agent with a similar vehicle.
 ;)

Offline Supercollider

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #94 on: August 29, 2019, 04:42:18 AM »
Brilliant project, will be tracking with interest!  :o

Offline Grimjack

• Scientist
  • Z List Wargames Industry Celebrity
« Reply #95 on: August 29, 2019, 10:34:36 AM »
I've been following this thread as a gamer, and love what I'm seeing - the re-purposed vehicles and the creation of a block is pretty damn clever!

As we barrel towards November and the scheduled release of the Warlord version, I've dug out every Foundry and Mongose figure I had squirrelled away and have been working on them.

However, my 'day job' is at Wargames Illustrated and we're planning on covering the game, miniatures and everything else in some detail. Following on from the interest shown in AndyMc's article, I'd be interested in seeing as much as we can fit in related to Ol' Stony Face and the Big Meg.

So, if you have a past, current or future project that relates to Dredd or 2000AD characters, and you'd like to see your work in print, please get in touch. We'd like model making and conversion articles, painting articles, game scenarios and anything else you have, either from Warlord's SD range or any other miniature ranges.

Please PM me via LAF in the first instance.
Remember: the dice are not your friends!

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #96 on: August 29, 2019, 03:32:40 PM »
When was AndyM's article in WI? He kept that quiet!

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #97 on: September 01, 2019, 06:44:05 PM »
So, if you have a past, current or future project that relates to Dredd or 2000AD characters, and you'd like to see your work in print, please get in touch. We'd like model making and conversion articles, painting articles, game scenarios and anything else you have, either from Warlord's SD range or any other miniature ranges.

Andym’s project deserves a magazine all to itself...certainly puts my own to shame

:)

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #98 on: September 01, 2019, 07:07:14 PM »
Probably the least exciting update so far....

Today I stuck some bits of MDF together  ;D

I decided to add a highway to my table, so I started off with some 300mm x 600mm boards. The road is raised up by 50mm, the same level as the plaza level on the Mega Block boards, and I will add the mini roads etc to help the boards blend in together. As you can see I’ve made 6 of them, giving me 12’ of highway that will run the length of my table.

I did toy with having much of the underside of the road open, so you could see more mini buildings etc, but the proximity of the road to the mega blocks would mean that the payoff on this would be tiny compared to the additional work it would entail....I might add another (higher) road later on that crosses over, which would have more detail on it.

Obviously very much a WIP, again pondering how much time to spend on the side barriers (or whether to bother with them at all)....I expect I’ll put an edge on the roads, just to stop clumsy players from sending the pat wagon tumbling off the side, but it will be representative...I’ve got 12’ of highway, so that would be 24’ of crash barrier ?!?! Again, having fixed crash barriers also limits where I put exits from the highway.

In terms of game play, I’m thinking of having some simple “off ramps” onto plazas (probably 1 in 3 Block boards will be a plaza rather than a tower), as anything that curves off...while potentially more pleasing in the eye....will take up far too much table space. The “off ramp” is represented in the photo below by the bit of white card...I’ll probably make the actual ramp out of 6mm mdf, and sand down the edges so it can sit on top of the highway/plaza rather than coming up with something more complicated.

As you’ll see from the picture above, I’ve started work on some more Block base boards...they are intentionally close to the road to give an impression of the claustrophobic nature of MC-1.

Anyway, there you go, I told you it wasn’t very exciting  ;D

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Re: AKULA’s Mega-City One (pg7 start of a highway)
« Reply #99 on: September 01, 2019, 09:23:17 PM »
Bit more detail on what my thinking is around the highway...

The table ...in theory (ie if I ever finish it) will be 12’ long by 5’ wide so I’ve got room for a central highway, with a row of 9 blocks either side of it, giving me 18 city blocks and 6 road sections.

The highway will be one way...although it’s pretty wide (30cm) I think it offers more gameplay to allow for multiple lanes of traffic, plus some of the models I’ve got in mind are pretty wide....

As mentioned in my last post, I’m thinking of simple “off ramps” rather than more aesthetically pleasing slip roads, as the latter would take up too much room. The “off ramps” will connect to the plazas, so if I have 1 in 3 of my city Block boards as plazas, that gives me 6 city block plaza boards with “off ramps” connecting them to the highway....the plazas, in turn, will have connections to the other blocks (but probably only pedways rather than vehicle access).

For vehicles, I’ll just use a simple rule that it takes 3-4 turns after you exit one end of the highway before you can rejoin at the start (assumes that there is some other road that loops round off table)....or I might just allow players to dice to rejoin after a certain number of rounds have passed...

Offline Brandlin

• Mad Scientist
    • Brandlin
« Reply #100 on: September 02, 2019, 09:52:42 AM »
90 degree turns onto off ramps at 500km/h sounds like fun !

I've often wanted to model a real roadway but sadly the scale of modern road junctions is just huge - and thats only on the flat. Elevated slip roads flyovers and junctions are significantly more complex.

I applaud your efforts, and a little bit of simplicity for gameplay reasons is inevitable

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #101 on: September 02, 2019, 12:33:33 PM »
90 degree turns onto off ramps at 500km/h sounds like fun !

I've often wanted to model a real roadway but sadly the scale of modern road junctions is just huge - and thats only on the flat. Elevated slip roads flyovers and junctions are significantly more complex.

I applaud your efforts, and a little bit of simplicity for gameplay reasons is inevitable

Thanks, a little bit of compromise for gameplay seemed sensible - I once sketched out a US multi lane road system for a zombie game and ended up with a table full of road  :D

Offline Brandlin

• Mad Scientist
    • Brandlin
« Reply #102 on: September 02, 2019, 04:56:04 PM »
Thanks, a little bit of compromise for gameplay seemed sensible - I once sketched out a US multi lane road system for a zombie game and ended up with a table full of road  :D

Yeah I have wanted to do an airport/runway scenario for a while - but when you scale up the real size of things like a runway or even a taxi way you quickly realise that the wingspan for the airliner you want to use would still be a metre!

And yes i know 15mm exists - but i am NOT starting another scale.

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #103 on: September 02, 2019, 06:42:20 PM »
Honestly, even at 6mm I run into that problem if I don't adopt another ground scale!
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #104 on: September 02, 2019, 11:20:06 PM »
Oh bollocks.
I thought I'd cured myself of the urge to do something Dredd related(when I knocked up a Dredd bike for AndyM ((and the tv series died a death) Now your projects just ruining all pretenses . I've just found myself musing over if its possible to build vehicles and law master's out of cereal card. ;D