Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:45:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686599
  • Total Topics: 118110
  • Online Today: 626
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Carnival Row - Amazon Prime Series  (Read 4354 times)

Offline Gundamentalist 5.56

• Scientist
    • http://www.theblackseal.org
Re: Carnival Row - Amazon Prime Series
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2019, 06:03:32 PM »
I'm half way through watching the series and I've enjoyed it so far.
My only criticism is the language - far too may f and c words.
Now I swear like a trooper so its not their use, its the plain uninventiveness of it all. I'm sure there are plenty of other Victorian and Edwardian alternatives that might be used.

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2019, 07:08:31 PM »
I am not familiar with the term jumping the shark. What does that mean in plain English.

Yeah, what SI said really, I guess I thought it was a more common phrase than it is! Any plot that escalates too far into crazy stuff and leaves itself nowhere to go.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2019, 08:55:17 PM »
Just finished watching the first episode. Interesting, although I'd prefer more of the  Castle Falkenstein vibes than the Ripper Street ones; but I like that it seems, from the first episode, to be more "Great Game"-alluding than the usual Prussian Invasion Scare fare... I'm curious to see where it goes. Maybe it'll prompt me to paint my LAM VSF stuff.

But Vignette? Seriously? Not a bit too much, Cara Delevigne(tte)?

[EDIT: After I typed that I realized she's spelled Delevingne, but still...]

Those names, I swear by my Old Gods, those names... make it feel a bit like a Steampunk Cosplayer Fanfic. Not that I read any of those.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2019, 03:15:51 PM by Westfalia Chris »

Offline Metternich

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2019, 09:34:30 PM »
Finished the series in about 3 sittings and quite enjoyed it.  We are hoping for a second season.

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2019, 09:52:24 PM »
Have watched all 8 episodes over the last few evenings. Very much a slightly dark take on Castle Falkenstein (which is a very good thing) and I think it could work really well as an RPG if the world of the Burgh is expanded a bit beyond the half dozen movie sets it consists of currently.
It is a shame they tried to squeeze so much story into only 8 episodes, but I guess that is the way the industry is these days. Does not really give enough time to explore the environment and the history which gives the setting its background.

The writers have an obvious liberal agenda to sell you and consequently the storyline only progresses along a single very predictable scenario. From the beginning you know what the end is going to be, you just don't know exactly how the story is going to get there.

It is certainly worth watching and I hope they do get to make more episodes.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2019, 10:15:49 AM »
Just finished it. Thought the second half of the series was a lot better than the first half. Still think the 'resting fairy wings' are pretty duff. Given all the CGI tricks of the trade these days, you'd have thought they could come up with something that looked better than a pair of damp dishcloths hanging limply down the back, and sometimes  inexplicably absent altogether. Given that they were styled like insect wings, folded insect wings are not floppy like that. Poor. Also, so much plot crammed into the final episode, it really started getting a bit mental all over the place. But those criticisms aside, it included some surprisingly good acting, it's an appealing concept, and there were some lovely characters, scenes and dialogue. On the whole, I'd give it a good 7/10 and hope they make another season.

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2019, 10:50:20 AM »
Yes that was my thoughts as well, it felt like they were trying to cram to much into that final episode, did they run out of money or something
Hope they do make another season

Offline Bogdanwaz

• Scientist
    • O My Ruritania
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2019, 11:32:16 AM »
I quite liked the show.  There is a free RPG supplement available for Carnival Row, apparently written by one of the show's writers:

https://nerdist.com/article/carnival-row-tabletop-rpg/

It uses the Cypher system, which I am unfamiliar with.  It does flesh out the history of the world a bit.

Offline Leman

• Scientist
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2019, 12:20:00 PM »
Yes, I found the backstory info in the RPG download very interesting. I think there will definitely be a follow up, now that some film companies appear to have pulled out of links with Amazon and Netflix. A shed load of new Amazon studios material has recently appeared.
If it’s too hard, I can’t do it

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2019, 02:22:24 PM »
(...)'resting fairy wings' (...) sometimes  inexplicably absent altogether. (...)

It was mentioned once or twice (though it's "blink and you'll miss it") that the fairies in servitude are commonly forced to wear clothes (corsages or whatnots) that cover up the wings and prevent them from flying. It's more of the aforementioned "fantastic racism" aspect, but tying in with 19th century practices of posture-correcting apparati and the like.

I finished it on a weekend binge and was quite favourably inclined, overall. Not quite sure where they'll take the story from where it left off, but I'll give it a try come the next season.

Offline mweaver

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2019, 04:16:16 AM »
I have some of the criticisms voiced above (the refugee idea being played very heavily, the crowded plot lines), but overall I really did quite enjoy the series and I am looking forward to a second series.

I wonder what's happening to his werewolf buddy now that old Legolas's condition has changed so dramatically.  Hopefully they haven't forgotten about him.

-Michael