Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:44:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686584
  • Total Topics: 118108
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Carnival Row - Amazon Prime Series  (Read 4353 times)

Offline Johnno

• Mastermind
Carnival Row - Amazon Prime Series
« on: August 09, 2019, 02:57:10 PM »
Just saw a trailer on Facebook.

Looks like Amazon Prime is launching a new series on Labour Day.

Called Carnival Row, starring Orlando Bloom and Cara Delevigne.

Production looks good and lots of terrain inspiration.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2019, 03:33:42 PM by Captain Blood »
Yearly painting challenges only show me how useless I am at painting...

Offline Cacique Caribe

• Mastermind
  • Gelatinous Legal Alien
Re: Amazon Prime Series
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2019, 11:18:38 PM »
Interesting uniforms too!  Maybe Russians as stand-ins?

« Last Edit: August 12, 2019, 11:25:47 PM by Cacique Caribe »

Offline Metternich

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2019, 08:37:49 PM »
Watched the first episode last night.  Has a wonderful alternative reality (fantasy) dystopian Victorian vibe.  Great look and high production values.

Offline swiftnick

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2019, 09:17:31 PM »
On third episode now and finding it very good.

Offline Leman

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2019, 08:37:00 AM »
Seen the lot and thoroughly enjoyed it. Episode three, featuring battle in Tirnanog was excellent with more than a hint of Steam Punk, especially the gatling armed airships. In 10mm the Pendraken 1860s Bavarians and Saxons in peaked caps would make good Burgue troops. Something like Pendraken’s WWI Serbs might serve as Pact Troops.
If it’s too hard, I can’t do it

Offline dampfpanzerwagon

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2019, 11:12:35 AM »
I've seen the first three episodes and agreed that there is much source material that can be used in a SteamPunk universe.

I'm tempted to model some Carnival Row Airships for a revised Aeronef game.

https://www.geeknative.com/68026/full-carnival-row-trailer/

I'll keep the Blog updates with any progress.

Tony

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2019, 12:33:24 PM »
I've seen the first three episodes and agreed that there is much source material that can be used in a SteamPunk universe.

Best bud and I binged the first three yesterday, and though I thought it got off to a bit slow start, compared to some recent 'wow' things I've seen of late, sticking with was definitely worth it.

After Valerian, I was quite impressed with Ms. Delevinge's performance.

Hard to admit, the way I feel about Amazon, mind you. :P

I'm tempted to model some Carnival Row Airships for a revised Aeronef game.
I'll keep the Blog updates with any progress.

The gasbags will need a reviewing of the episode, as hadn't fully registered with me; thanks for the heads-up, Tony, and I'm sure I'll be watching for more.

Doug

Offline Cacique Caribe

• Mastermind
  • Gelatinous Legal Alien
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2019, 03:43:26 PM »
Has anyone seen any of their concept artwork?  I’m curious.

Dan

Offline Gundamentalist 5.56

• Scientist
    • http://www.theblackseal.org
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2019, 11:01:22 PM »
The writer has released a RPG based on the series:
https://nerdist.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/Carnival-Row-RPG.pdf

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2019, 03:33:22 PM »
Anyone watched / watching?
What do we think?
I'm about halfway through, and can't quite make my mind up about it. I love the concept of rolling traditional faerie races and creatures into a steampunkish / Victoriana setting. The production design is lovely. A lot of the acting is great - I actually think Orlando Bloom's got better as he's got older. And Cara Delevigne is once again great (as she was in Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets. She may be a model first and foremost, but she's more watchable than many trained actors I can think of).

Against that, some of the modernisms in the dialogue really jar; the fairy wings (in their relaxed state) look naff and inexplicable (how do they poke through their clothing?); some of the acting feels overdone (Chloe Pirrie as the leader of 'the Black Ravens' seems to think she's in a modern spy thriller - this partly down to her lines, but also her delivery which feels at odds with the pseudo-period flavour of the rest of the piece). The accents are all over the place, and there appears to be (like Ripper Street), just one main set - the street scene with its cast iron stanchions and market stalls (Carnival Row is spoken of as a district, not one street). Above all, I get a feeling they've tried to shoehorn too much in. The basic concept is strong enough, but then they've added a Jack The Ripper storyline, a political intrigue sub-plot, and the bludgeoning allegory of the plight of refugees the world over... It feels like they've thrown the kitchen sink at it. It might have been better with a 'less is more' approach.

But overall, I think the pros of the overall creative idea and execution, outweigh the cons of a few of these niggles. I'll see how it pans out by the end of the season  :)
« Last Edit: September 20, 2019, 03:35:00 PM by Captain Blood »

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
Re: Carnival Row - Amazon Prime Series
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2019, 03:43:17 PM »
A couple of weeks ago I watched Episode 1 and it prompted me to restart my Gothic Horror project. Since then I haven’t had time to watch Episode 2  :D
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 0
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2019, 03:53:02 PM »
Yeah, I'm about 4 episodes in I think and I'd agree with all of that Cap. The Black Ravens leader is so one-dimensional, smugly leaden in delivering her lines it's almost painful to watch scenes with her in. And yes, I find the clumsily patronising 'oppressed immigrants vs ignorant natives' angle to be overdone … so far, who knows where it will go though?

On the plus side, it's the first really good acting performance I've seen from Orlando Bloom; he's moved from 'movie star' into 'accomplished actor' category for me. Cara Delevigne is good as well and other than the aforementioned Black Ravens leader, the supporting cast are all excellent in their respective parallel storylines.

It's a solid B grade for me so far. Hopefully the script will provide a little more substance soon without jumping the shark and spoiling the whole mood of the thing and we can get a few quality seasons out of it.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Leman

• Scientist
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2019, 05:19:17 PM »
I am not familiar with the term jumping the shark. What does that mean in plain English.

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2019, 05:24:14 PM »
I am not familiar with the term jumping the shark. What does that mean in plain English.

It’s a reference to an episode of The Fonz where he water-skied over a shark, which the audience clearly felt was an improbability too far and ratings subsequently plummeted. Thus ‘jumping the shark’ is when a TV series stretches its credibility leading to a fall in popularity.

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2019, 05:59:12 PM »
I binge watched it when it came out, the back story doesn't really kick in unit episode 4 onwars where it starts to slot in place. Hoping there is another series