Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 01:10:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: 1/48 dolls house Review.or Mdf manufacturers beware your out classed!  (Read 1799 times)

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Well I think the title pretty much hints at my conclusions   ::)
So here's my observations and musings.
As I've been reminded lately the 1/48 dolls house market isn't unknown or unused by more experienced gamers.
It's not particularly unknown to me either. Just no exploded for a long while.

My renewed interest has been fuelled by a need for a playable interior space for skirmish and Pulp gaming.
In all fairness (and with out wishing to sound big headed.) It's well with in my skill base to knock up a usable space for next to nothing.
Just sometimes it's nice to build a kit.Also to have the enjoyment of opening something in post other than a bill. 
I spent a good deal of time over the last year looking at mdf kits on line and in person at shows. Quiet frankly they've been lacking. I was give a Charlie fox trot .  table edge terrace as a gift (it had the entire roof missing from the sealed bag.) Also a farm house and the Tobac shop all had window frames that didn't fit because they'd not adjusted the size of frame to compensate for the laser cut.
Sarissa Roman builds that take some serious elbow grease to cut from the frames which increased the risk of damaging thin parts( infact I've still one building left made out of the three I was given.) I could go on and on .So I took a look at the cheap and cheerful end of the market as well .Working on the proviso that if I had to put that level of effort in I might as well do it and save money.
Hense the £12 mdf church that I tweaked earlier this year.

(I know some people will happily have extolled the virtues of these and other companies I could list. These are just my experiences with the items I was given not a reflection of the overall quality of products from these companies)

Once I'd done that I thought I'd go back and build the interior for the Sarissa chateaux I'd turned into a hotel.
So I looked for dolls house furnishings to speed things up.I remembered Pettitte Properties ltd did some grey board furniture.So I took a look then got sidetracked looking at 1/48 buildings.and it dawned on me that the chateaux wasn't. Going to cut the mustard.That if I wanted to stick figures inside a building then I'm basically playing with a dolls house.So that's probably the better solution.
And here we are with this building kit from Scale Model DIY.
Infact once I mentioned that it was for across over experiment .They kindly sent me a kit of their choice(would have been rude to then say thank you its very kind of you but can I have a different kit.)
It arrived tody seal in a black plastic postage bag and boxed.
I'll start with the price It's just shy of £29 and free p&p(signed for) So in reality its more like a £24 kit.(most buildings in their catalogue are in the £28-£35 free p&p range)
As you can see it completely free of frames. It has a really clear and comprehensive instruction booklet.
It also has two pieces of clear sheeting to glaze the windows.and a piece of sandpaper !
They also inclued a base plate which makes life a little easier.
Infact if you don't glaze the windows you don't need any tools to build the base kit only glue, and if you do glaze the windows you could get away with only a pair of scissors and glue.
I will of course up date as I build and tweak the kit.
The subject kit its self isn't (at this point) the relevant issue rather the attention to detail and preparation with in the kit and the range is.
If these production values are possible in a very similar product to 28mm Wargaming buildings .Then its not unreasonable to say they should be expected in 28mm.
If these doll house companies decided to cross over into the Wargames market then they'd soon become a driving force.
I'm not suggesting these crossover peices are perfect in any shape or form.
Simply if your in the market for buildings with usable interiors you should look at 1/48 dolls house as a viable and affordable alternative.

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
Re: 1/48 dolls house Review.or Mdf manufacturers beware your out classed!
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2019, 10:11:39 PM »
Looks good.
Do you have a pic with some figures alongside?
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2019, 01:07:18 AM »
I wasn't going to build it until Partizan was out of the way.As I haven't enough free time to take a propper run at it.
But since you asked .Its taken just over 40 minutes using super glue . From reading the instructions to photograph.
I've nothing painted in the house just the stuff made sat watching the telly.(which is what I've done whilst gluing this together.)
The master figure stood on the base is 28mm foot to eye.The undercoated figure is 31mm foot to eye.(some Laffer's a big lads ;) )
Hope that's a help. I'll add more pictures as I progress in a similar fashion to the Church WIP.

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2019, 01:36:37 AM »
Nice even though I'm totally turned off to mdf buildings. 

Sounds somewhat akin to the issue with 'hobby paints' versus 'craft paints', the latter being as much as twenty times cheaper than the hobby paints.  People talk of quality of paint but I defy anyone to identify a well painted figure with craft paints versus a similarly painted figure with hobby paints. 

While I think most hobby suppliers provide excellent value for money there seems to be a small corner of folks who are quite happy to gouge their customers as deeply as they can and I think that is in part because they perceive their customers as teenagers spending mom and dad's money and lacking in understanding of cost/benefit ratios.  I wonder - if I'm right - how those teenagers will respond to those brands when they get old enough to know better?

Sometimes this is a weird hobby - not that other slices of life aren't similarly afflicted.  Best way to make a business work has always been the same: fair, honest, reasonable prices and standing behind the product.  Some get it (and hopefully prosper) and some don't seem to care.

I will now kick my soap box back into its corner!   lol
« Last Edit: August 16, 2019, 05:46:14 AM by FifteensAway »

Offline tomrommel1

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Wargamesgazette
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2019, 10:20:22 AM »
interesting
In hoc signo vinces

Have a look at www.wargamesgazette.com

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2019, 11:49:00 AM »
I never knew there was a 1/48 dolls house market! Many thanks for the heads up, will have to look into this.....
I am going to build a wargames army, a big beautiful wargames army, and Mexico is going to pay for it.

2019 Painting Challenge :
figures bought: 500+
figures painted: 57
9 vehicles painted
4 terrain pieces scratchbuilt

Offline Brandlin

• Mad Scientist
    • Brandlin
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2019, 02:52:16 PM »
I never knew there was a 1/48 dolls house market! Many thanks for the heads up, will have to look into this.....

It's also known as quarter scale.  Because 1 foot = 1/4 of an inch...

Offline Dr. Zombie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2019, 09:20:34 AM »
I have often asked myself. Are you building wargames scenery or are yo uin reality building quarter scale dollhouses... The line between the two is very fine.

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2019, 10:06:42 AM »
I have oft asked myself the same question. If you allow the interior to be accessible then you’re just asking for trouble. The temptation to piss about with furniture and fittings becomes overwhelming.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2019, 10:19:09 AM »
An excellent review, thanks for sharing.

Dollhouses and cupcakes* .... what is happening to our hobby....?

lol

* have found a use for cupcake stands on my own thread below

https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=118763.msg1491083;topicseen#new