Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 02:15:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690462
  • Total Topics: 118332
  • Online Today: 732
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: German Colonial Sailors - Question  (Read 1611 times)

Offline Dr. Moebius

• Scientist
  • - per aspera ad astra -
German Colonial Sailors - Question
« on: April 25, 2019, 05:47:26 PM »
Hello dear LAF'ers

I have a question about German sailors and their headgear in East Africa. Attached you can find two pictures. The first I am not sure about if it depicts Germans or not. It looks like the second from the left is a German officer. There are two of them that wear a kind of sennett hat or straw hat. I can't find any other evidence for German sailors wearing a kind of hat. In the second picture I am not sure if some of them wearing a straw hat or maybe a Südwester hat (these are Germans for sure).

Can anyone help me answering if German sailors did wear straw hats in Africa?

This topic could also be in the Great War section but I chose this one. Think it fits better.

Thanks for your help.

« Last Edit: April 25, 2019, 05:49:13 PM by Dr. Moebius »

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
Re: German Colonial Sailors - Question
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2019, 06:31:50 PM »
German naval landing parties wore straw hats to begin with, but they went out of fashion in the 1880s and pith helmets became the order of the day. On board ship they would have worn soft naval caps.

Your chaps in the second photo are from the SMS Königsberg, and during their adventure uniform regulations went out of the window. They firstly began dying their uniforms a light khaki colour, and as time went on they eventually became indistinguishable from their Schutztruppe comrades. They would have replaced lost items with anything they could get their hands on. Those could well be civilian hats or hats obtained from the Schutztruppe. Or I suppose they might have still had some kicking about in a cupboard somewhere. Point is, regulations had stopped dictating what the seamen wore by that point.

In stark contrast, photos of the landing party from the Emden in 1914 show them in immaculate matching uniforms, and every man jack of them is wearing a sun helmet. Officers wearing white ones and the men wearing khaki ones.

The first photo shows a German naval Maxim crew in Samoa rather than Africa, in the 1880s. Clearly straw hats were still in vogue in the South Seas at that date.

Edited for typo.

« Last Edit: April 25, 2019, 06:38:56 PM by Plynkes »
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Dr. Moebius

• Scientist
  • - per aspera ad astra -
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2019, 09:40:11 PM »
Cheers Plynkes,

that helps a lot.

Offline flatpack

• Mastermind
  • Hiding in the shed
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2019, 08:15:54 AM »
If this helps, I was looking for German sailors for ww1 East Africa.
There aren’t many figures out there to use, so I went for Russian ww2 sailors, but painted in the roundel on the sailors hat.  At least they come with tails on the back of the hat.

Flatpack

Offline juergen c. olk

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2019, 01:21:28 PM »
Plynkes as usual is Dead on ,the first Samoa one is from 1889 the 2nd Samoan civil war.I need to game that. Askari Miniatures makes a German landing party in 28mm w/ tropenhelm,work vey nice.

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2019, 02:35:52 PM »
If this helps, I was looking for German sailors for ww1 East Africa.

Brigade Games WW1 East Africa range does very nice German sailors inc machine gun and crew in 28mm. Sculpted by Mike Owen I believe.
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2019, 02:52:13 PM »
Indeed, though I kind of always wished they'd do another set with them in sun helmets rather than soft caps. I guess you can't have everything. I once did an experimental conversion where I put a sun helmet head on one of those Brigade bodies. It looked really nice, but I thought, nah, I can't be bothered with doing this for a whole unit. :)