Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:35:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: 15mm Zulu War Armies  (Read 14267 times)

Offline Grekwood

• Librarian
    • Grekwoods Blog
Re: 15mm Zulu War Armies
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2009, 05:23:29 PM »
As I said elsewhere, I am SERIOSLY impressed by that collection. I was in Spririt Games in Burton on Trent not long ago and I think thay had 15mm Zulu War, by Naismith, IIRC. Their website should help look for these.
http://www.spiritgames.co.uk/figs/naiscol.php
Hope that helps.
David

the naismith range can be found on the navwar site here http://www.navwar.co.uk/nav/default.asp?MMID=93

i have a few of the naismith brits they are nice but a bit smaller than other 15mm figures

Offline Barry S

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
    • http://s92.photobucket.com/albums/l12/LeadBear/
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2009, 12:02:02 AM »
There's always Gallia which are sold through Warrior Miniatures. Mind you they are only any good if you like that stunted chunky look that was all the rage in the 80's (who remembers Mikes Models?).

My first ACW miniatures were Mikes Models and remember seeing photos of the Gallia range in old issues of Miniature Wargames. They were great little fellows with lots of character   :D

I recently finished a Zulu Kraal for a friend and thought I'd share a few photos of it and few other Zulu war related projects that I finished some time ago.
Zulu Kraal

Mounted Induna conversion

A British Camp... now residing in the USA

My Victorian Barker-Marker

A couple of chaps that may be familiar to movie fans...

Barry

http://s92.photobucket.com/albums/l12/LeadBear/

Offline Barry S

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2017, 11:51:30 AM »
It has been some time since I have posted anything to share, so I thought I would post some photos of a game my son and I played some weeks ago.

We decided to dust off some of my Zulus and British troops from my Zulu War collection and have a game of Hordes of the Empire to finish off the school holidays. Hordes of the Empire is a Hordes of the Things colonial variant.

The game started well for the Zulus with the dice gods clearly in their favour. The British weren’t so fortunate. Not only were they hampered with me as their commander, when it mattered I could only manage to roll 1's.

We got a few things wrong, quite probably more than a few come to think of it, but it was good to roll some dice together and most of all we had fun with the Zulus victorious.

I am itching to get my Boers painted now…

A vulture's eye view -

The Zulus advance -

'Mark your targets...' -

'FIRE!' -

Contact -

The Victorious Zulu Commander -

« Last Edit: April 17, 2022, 09:56:12 AM by Barry S »

Online FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2017, 07:33:32 AM »
And a properly fierce commander he is, too.  I'd guess he scared the high scores out of your dice.

Love your collection - and that you seem to have moved on from DB-whateverness.  Never got it, yeah, just a game, but DB-whatever seems like all the flavor of vanilla ice cream that someone forgot to include the vanilla flavoring within.  Not a big fan of Zulu wars but the 24th's uniform is my all time favorite from all of history.

Perhaps the young lad is an important reason for that short layoff from posting - 8 years being somewhat similar to his age?

Online Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2017, 09:07:43 AM »
I wonder if that is a record for the longest time between updates on a thread at LAF?  :)

Great stuff! Gotta love that last picture in particular.

Love your collection - and that you seem to have moved on from DB-whateverness.

I was under the impression that Hordes of the Things was itself a DBA variant. But I may be mistaken.

With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Barry S

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2017, 10:23:30 AM »
And a properly fierce commander he is, too.  I'd guess he scared the high scores out of your dice.

Love your collection - and that you seem to have moved on from DB-whateverness.  Never got it, yeah, just a game, but DB-whatever seems like all the flavor of vanilla ice cream that someone forgot to include the vanilla flavoring within.  Not a big fan of Zulu wars but the 24th's uniform is my all time favorite from all of history.

Perhaps the young lad is an important reason for that short layoff from posting - 8 years being somewhat similar to his age?

Thanks for the kind words Gentlemen.

My son had a blast which was the main thing.

I have been active in the past 8 years, though not as much as I would have liked. I really should have started a new thread, but the game involved Zulus and I had this Zulu thread already...  :)

I do plan to add to it and I can assure you that it won't be in 8 years time.

As Plynkes wrote, Hordes of the Things is based on DBA and Hordes of the Empire is a variant of HotT. I do understand that DBA isn't some peoples cup of tea, but as I wrote in my original post, I find the DBA/HotT system convenient for a variety of reasons.

Even though the majority of my miniatures are based around DBA/HotT, I do plan to use and have used the miniatures for other games such as Death In The Dark Continent and also have individually based figures for skirmish games.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 12:02:58 PM by Barry S »

Offline Barry S

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2017, 10:25:59 AM »
I thought I would share a photo of a couple of measurement sticks I made. I am working on a couple of bayonets for the British player to use.

Below are two bases of cattle. One of the bases has been designed with an option to be able to remove a miniature and replace it with another or a 'blank'. This way they can be used in scenarios or just as scenery.

In addition to the Zulus, British and Boers, I have also been collecting miniatures of African Wildlife to use as both scenery and gaming elements. Most will have sabot bases made for use with HotT/HotE and other games based around the adventures of Tarzan and Allan Quartermain.

Leopard in Tree. The Leopard is a 10mm Lioness miniature by Eureka miniatures. I made the tree.

Great White Hunter and Companion by Essex Miniatures

Giraffes by Prieser
« Last Edit: April 17, 2022, 10:01:34 AM by Barry S »

Offline FierceKitty

• Mastermind
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2017, 11:42:41 AM »
The spears for measuring are a jolly good idea.
The laws of probability do not apply to my dice in wargames or to my finesses in bridge.

Offline Vagabond

• Mastermind
    • Vagabond's Wargaming Blog
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2017, 07:02:42 PM »
There is lots of nice stuff in your thread but the best picture is your son, - He looks properly scary, I can see why he won. :) :)

Offline Barry S

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2017, 01:10:07 AM »
Thanks  :D

My lad and myself had a rematch last Friday night. He won... again  ::) :D

Online FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2017, 02:10:11 PM »
Guess it shows how much attention I pay to DBxxx universe!  (Re: Hott, etc).  Love the leopard up the tree.  How well does the 10 mm lioness scale to your other 15 mm figures?  And is it only available as part of a set from Eureka or did you buy it on its own?  Any chance of a picture of the 'leopard' next to other figures for comparison?

I ask because I'm always on the lookout for more critters for my African animals collection.  I'm well north of six hundred figures now but always looking to add more.  Even commissioned some African Cape Buffalo that should be done sone (hopefully) which will push the total over seven hundred.  Mostly, these are in herds but, have predators, too. (Three figures to a base to facilitate putting it on the table!) Much still too paint but everything already 'in house' not yet painted now (recently) primed and ready to paint.

Irregular has a nice African elephant now - and a giraffe.  Those TOOB animals has a mini-set that is very useful for younger animals, like young giraffes to mix with the Irregular one.  Minifigs has (or had) a naked elephant of use.  Peter Pig has some crocs in the Modern Africa range. But, so far, Irregular is the best sole source for African animals.  As make-dos, I'm using their African cattle along with some from Stone Mountain cattle as wildebeests and I'm using the pronghorn antelope to paint up as Thompson's and Grant's gazelles and impalas - not a perfect solution but will work until more appropriate models become available.  (Also painting some as pronghorns for my Old West games).

Not for Zulus, however, more of an ahistorical nature, what I like call Faux-shoda events where there is a collision between some major powers with locals as allies (or enemies).  And, for me, you can't say the plains of Africa without 'vast' herds of animals on the table.  Good thing I'm a diehard 15 mm player, then, right?
« Last Edit: July 01, 2017, 06:23:25 PM by FifteensAway »

Offline Barry S

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2017, 07:29:30 AM »
FifteensAway -

I will try and take a photo of another of my the 10mm lionesses next one of my miniatures.

I picked up a set from Eureka Miniatures. I believe there are around 15 in the set and includes lions and lionesses).

I hope to see some photos of the herds one day. I like the idea of animals just hanging around on the table as scenery and encounter markers, etcetera, and appreciate your thoughts.

I have been wondering what to use for wildebeest and was thinking of using some 10mm Bison adding a bit of greenstuff here and shaving some of the lead there...

I am not sure if this is useful for you, but I recently bought some woodland creatures from Langley Miniatures for another project of mine, but noticed they also make a selection of other animals for Zoo and Circus setups.
http://www.langley-models.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_OO_Zoo_Animals__enclosures_and_Circus__43.html

The miniatures I brought maybe a little crude in some peoples eyes, but I think they will work out quite well and plan to pick up another lot in the not too distant future, including some vultures, chimps and monkeys.

Offline Smokeyrone

• Mastermind
  • Five Rings
« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2017, 01:01:11 AM »
Ii loved your opus back then, and now. 

I forgot, WHERE did you get the Chard and Bromhead figures?

BTW, I bought a newly made Assegai at a local gun show, designed for use, not display.   Long ass blade, short shaft, high end steel and all. 

Better than a knife, for camping, keeping in back seat, boating, etc.   Gives you extra reach against rabid raccoons, sharks and wahoo flopping around in your boat,  and such, plus its a backup to a Mini 14 anyway  :)
Reigning USTA Florida, and National 50+ Singles Champion  (tennis)  TWO Time Florida 50+ Singles Champion!  Just won State 2019!

Offline Barry S

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2017, 05:42:38 AM »
FifteensAway -

I hope this helps. It is probably a little bit larger than it should be, but I'm personally not too bothered if my animals are a bit smaller or larger.

Are you planning to sell the Cape Buffalo miniature? If so, I would certainly be interested in a purchasing some.

Thanks Smokey. I have added quite a few figures to the collection since the first photos. I really should get around to photographing them.

Bromhead and Chard are conversions. Many years ago I saw a set of 15mm Zulu war miniatures based on Zulu. I really liked what I saw and over the years have created my own versions.

Below is Colour Sergeant Bourne, Lt Bromhead, Lt Chard and Pte Hook.
All are Essex Miniatures with head swaps, a bit of trimming here, a bit of green stuff there...

Next are Cpl. Schiess, Adendorff, Rev Witt and Margretta Witt.
Cpl Schiess and Adendorff are Essex Miniatures, Rev Witt is from Old Glory and Margetta is from Irregular Miniatures.

I have a few others that I want to create and a couple to finish off, but I keep getting distracted by other projects.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2022, 10:03:04 AM by Barry S »

Offline Smokeyrone

• Mastermind
  • Five Rings
« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2017, 09:15:41 PM »
FifteensAway -

I hope this helps. It is probably a little bit larger than it should be, but I'm personally not too bothered if my animals are a bit smaller or larger.

Are you planning to sell the Cape Buffalo miniature? If so, I would certainly be interested in a purchasing some.

Thanks Smokey. I have added quite a few figures to the collection since the first photos. I really should get around to photographing them.

Bromhead and Chard are conversions. Many years ago I saw a set of 15mm Zulu war miniatures based on Zulu. I really liked what I saw and over the years have created my own versions.

Below is Colour Sergeant Bourne, Lt Bromhead, Lt Chard and Pte Hook.
All are Essex Miniatures with head swaps, a bit of trimming here, a bit of green stuff there...

Next are Cpl. Schiess, Adendorff, Rev Witt and Margretta Witt.
Cpl Schiess and Adendorff are Essex Miniatures, Rev Witt is from Old Glory and Margetta is from Irregular Miniatures.

I have a few others that I want to create and a couple to finish off, but I keep getting distracted by other projects.   

Oh lawd!  Great Stuff!