Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 07:56:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689492
  • Total Topics: 118281
  • Online Today: 568
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Best X-Wing 1st Ed. Squadron builder currently available? Plus scenario.  (Read 1458 times)

Offline olicana

• Mastermind
    • Olicanalad's Games
I've just discovered that my squadron builder site no longer exists - I think it was simply called 'Squadron Builder', and you could print out rosters with either card names or card names with full card definitions. The simple version (without card definitions, that I've used on my blog) looked like this:

I want to be able to print off 'full roster sheets' (including full pilot and other card definitions if possible); rosters being much easier for larger, multi-player games and pre-organised scenarios like this one (for which I have lost the rosters - Damn!):

http://olicanalad.blogspot.com/2020/01/x-wing-scenario-tinder-moment.html

What is available these days?

« Last Edit: December 30, 2020, 05:28:11 PM by olicana »

Offline Mr Tough Guy

• Mad Scientist
Re: Best X-Wing 1st Ed. Squadron builder currently available? Plus scenario.
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2020, 09:49:46 AM »
That was my go to for 1st edition too, the alternative was "yet another squadbuilder":

http://geordanr.github.io/xwing/?f=Rebel%20Alliance&d=v4!s!&sn=Unnamed%20Squadron&obs=

No idea if it still works and how up to date it is as I switched to 2nd edition myself but I think it's still 1st edition as I don't see any separate options for resistance or new order, let alone cis or republic

Offline olicana

• Mastermind
    • Olicanalad's Games
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2021, 03:11:04 PM »
Thanks, that one is good for me.

I'm not going to switch to 2nd edition. I have over 70 ships for 1st edition: I've probably only used half of them in games, and actually played with far less than that myself. I only get to play one or two games a year, if I'm lucky, so the cost of switching seems pointless.

Pity, good game. :'(

Online Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2021, 03:53:29 PM »
Same here; I have well over 90 ships, all in their 1st ed. glory.

I bought one Imperial Card Conversion Set, discovered that I needed at least 3 to cover all my ships and then I decided that, no matter how much more refined and balanced 2nd ed was, I would not switch over. Which was the death knell for my X-Wing games, as my regular opponent did make the switch, and only wants to play 2nd now.

At first, I used an online squadron builder, but pretty soon, I switched to an absolutely great mobile app on my phone. It was not available in any official app store, but the creator did maintain a well visited and active message board, where the latest versions of his app were to be found.

I have since refrained from updating my app (upon the release of 2nd ed), so I would not become stuck with a 2nd ed version, so I can still use mine. I can't guarantee the app is still available or still 1st ed, but it's what I would recommend:

X-Wing Squads Designer

This is his blog: https://swz-dmb.blogspot.com

And his Patreon apparently: https://www.patreon.com/swxdesigner

Here are some screenshots off my phone. It has all the cards, dials, stats etc, plus all card texts, in several languages too:
« Last Edit: January 14, 2021, 03:55:39 PM by Daeothar »
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline olicana

• Mastermind
    • Olicanalad's Games
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2021, 04:22:37 PM »
It's been over a year since I bought a new ship. Occasionally, I look about for a first edition Imperial Raider but, not much first edition stuff seems to show up these days. I guess everyone is hanging onto what they have.

Online Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2021, 05:05:02 PM »
Yeah; I still need Saw Gerrera's set and the Ghost myself, plus some assorted small stuff I'd like more of, but that'll be it.

Oh; and I'm still working on my own faction, the Trade Federation, using WotC Droid fighters and assorted other  miniatures that are (more or less) to scale...  :)

Offline olicana

• Mastermind
    • Olicanalad's Games
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2021, 06:06:57 PM »
I don't mind using unofficial stuff. Usually stuff I knock up from scrap.

Space debri, asteroids and escape capsule (the latter the two ends of a pen with applique bits of plastic kit and plastic card)

more debri, mostly bits of old model kits

and, some bigger stuff like this 'asteroid space station', made from a large sponge, lego with plastic card applique, half a polystyrene ball, and a few bits of FoW 15mm tank (spare Marmon Herrington turrets).

and the same on its 'marker' so you can do bombing runs over it, etc.

« Last Edit: January 14, 2021, 06:13:45 PM by olicana »