Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 07:58:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: How Dense Are Your Lost World Jungles?  (Read 7897 times)

Offline Cacique Caribe

• Mastermind
  • Gelatinous Legal Alien
Re: How Dense Are Your Lost World Jungles?
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2019, 07:32:11 PM »
By the way Dan you should share your mangrove project here!

Doug

Do you mean this mangrove proof of concept?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/9593487@N07/48238311611/in/album-72157709365896792

Here’s the album:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/9593487@N07/albums/72157709365896792

And I have many more pictures to add to that album too.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2019, 07:37:29 PM by Cacique Caribe »

Offline War Monkey

• Mastermind
    • Silo1313
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2019, 09:16:06 PM »
Yes, those are the ones!

They are excellent!

I remember seeing actual mangroves along many coastal lines even at the mouths or along the banks of tidal rivers, and you recreated  that look quite  well.

They could be used in a good range of games, pirates for one.

Doug
« Last Edit: August 23, 2019, 02:33:01 PM by War Monkey »
Just remember "If the Enemy is in range, so are YOU!

http://silo1313.blogspot.com/

Offline Thunderchicken

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Amusingly clumsy.
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2019, 02:45:40 PM »
My Dear Thunderchicken,

The treaty of 1925 doesn't apply in this instance as it relates to Forests, not Jungles.   If the OP had asked about Forest Density then of course we'd refer to the 1925 Treaty and I'd agree with your 75% position, but they didn't.

Consider the shot across the bows re 'half baked adviced' returned with double the density (pun intended  lol) for such a schoolboy error.

Dr De'Ath

Dr De'Ath (now ex-friend)

I think you'll find the appendices of the 1925 Treaty state that most jungles are considered forests and refereed to as such for the sake of the wording (and to save ink). Your reference to a 'schoolboy error' is not very diplomatic and considered a threat. I have no option other than to mobilise my forces and give you a damn good thrashing at the earliest opportunity. Checking my diary this should be at some point in 2022. You have been warned.

Cacique, apologies for hijacking your thread. Now my ex-friend had been put in his place I will leave you to it.

Don't!

Offline Dr DeAth

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Little Lead Men
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2019, 04:35:01 PM »
Dr De'Ath (now ex-friend)

I think you'll find the appendices of the 1925 Treaty state that most jungles are considered forests and refereed to as such for the sake of the wording (and to save ink). Your reference to a 'schoolboy error' is not very diplomatic and considered a threat. I have no option other than to mobilise my forces and give you a damn good thrashing at the earliest opportunity. Checking my diary this should be at some point in 2022. You have been warned.

Cacique, apologies for hijacking your thread. Now my ex-friend had been put in his place I will leave you to it.

Dearest Cheeks.

What edition of the 1925 Treaty do you have? Mine is a first edition and it doesn't have the appendices you refer to, so I fear we may have fallen out unnecessarily. Obviously if you have more complete information than I do then the schoolboy error is entirely mine and I unreservedly apologise.

Just in case you decide to reject my apology, please note that the only opening I have in 2022 for a damned good thrashing is the first weekend of the Michealmas Term.

Your Humble Servant

Dr De'Ath.
Photos of my recent efforts are at www.littleleadmen.com and https://beaverlickfalls.blogspot.com

Offline War Monkey

• Mastermind
    • Silo1313
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2019, 06:53:53 PM »
Currently I'm looking at Aliexpress for palm tress and other such items, there is a set of a 100 for 27 USD, that stand just over 2 Inches, interesting part is you can pull the tops off and use them as ground level growing palms as well.

And there are so many more to choose from

Now if you can't make a jungle out of all that there is more to look at!

Offline MustContainMinis

• Librarian
    • Must Contain Minis
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2019, 07:48:41 PM »
Those are some great jungle trees. I really like how you did the bases too.
Check out my site Must Contain Minis. I do news, previews, showcases and reviews of miniatures and miniature related products.

Offline warrenpeace

• Mastermind
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2019, 09:11:17 PM »
We like it to look lush. The trees in the images below were assembled or made by my friend, Jeff, for his WW1 in Africa and his 1950's French Indochina project. But I borrowed it for a "Lost World" Pulp table and left a lot of clear space for the figures to move through. Could have cluttered it up more with lots of green lichen or moss, or patches of moss covered "pot toppers" that I got from the craft store. But that extra greenery was not needed. First 3 pics from game a few weeks ago:

These 8 from a game a couple of years ago:

Generally speaking, a few tall palms, a few tall trees with hanging vines, and some shorter green stuff such as tall reeds, can set a jungle mood and make the players feel the sweat and bugs without covering everything in green scrub.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2019, 09:24:39 PM by warrenpeace »
Sailors have more fun!

Offline War Monkey

• Mastermind
    • Silo1313
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2019, 09:37:43 PM »
Being that I play in 15 scale, it would be easy for long tall grass to be made from fake eyelashes.

they can be used for around the bases of trees or poking out from under the ground brush around the edges.

Dollar Tree carries packs for 1 USD, just remember to wink at the cashier as you check out  ;)

Offline FreakyFenton

• Mastermind
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2019, 11:58:00 PM »
We like it to look lush. The trees in the images below were assembled or made by my friend, Jeff, for his WW1 in Africa and his 1950's French Indochina project. But I borrowed it for a "Lost World" Pulp table and left a lot of clear space for the figures to move through. Could have cluttered it up more with lots of green lichen or moss, or patches of moss covered "pot toppers" that I got from the craft store. But that extra greenery was not needed.
Generally speaking, a few tall palms, a few tall trees with hanging vines, and some shorter green stuff such as tall reeds, can set a jungle mood and make the players feel the sweat and bugs without covering everything in green scrub.

Amazing terrain, thanks for sharing!  :o
« Last Edit: September 30, 2019, 12:30:00 PM by Malamute »
"No human being would stack books like -that-!" -Dr. Peter Venkman

Offline ecwcaptain

• Librarian
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2019, 03:45:33 PM »
Agreed, lush, full, or busy. Just as long as you can move pieces or some space for figures.

See the latest WI magazine WI384 Oct. issue) that has my Ramree Island game, and you'll see my version of a thick mangrove swamp.

Offline StoneMtnMinis

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Librarian
  • When in the course of Human Events
    • Stone Mountain Miniatures, Inc.
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2019, 04:37:16 AM »
Your river is one of the best looking jungle rivers I've seen is a game.  Usually they are the typical sky blue, not the slow moving muddy waters you have created.  Very impressed.
Dave
Stone Mountain Miniatures, Inc.
www.WargamingMiniatures.com

Sent from my Etch-A-Sketch

Offline warrenpeace

• Mastermind
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2019, 02:40:39 AM »
Your river is one of the best looking jungle rivers I've seen is a game.  Usually they are the typical sky blue, not the slow moving muddy waters you have created.  Very impressed.

Thanks! The riverbed was originally built as a dry riverbed by my friend Jeff for a WW1 game set in East Africa. Since the pieces were still around, I got him to let me recut them, paint the bed brownish green, and apply layers of clear varnish. I grew up in west Tennessee, where the water in the creeks is usually brown. The river next to my house is often teal colored, but brown when in flood.

One of the best quick jungle rivers I've seen was a roll of brown butcher paper that was waxed on one side. Roll it out with the waxed side up and presto! Instant jungle river. Saw that in a game featuring Belgian Force Publique in the Congo vs Colonel Kurtz (of Conrad's Heart of Darkness).

Offline StoneMtnMinis

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Librarian
  • When in the course of Human Events
    • Stone Mountain Miniatures, Inc.
« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2019, 12:41:00 AM »
Napalm is your friend when clearing jungles.

Offline Cacique Caribe

• Mastermind
  • Gelatinous Legal Alien
« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2019, 11:24:51 AM »
Warrenpeace

That table looks unbelievable.  I am in awe.

And I need to get my hands on some of those inland forest (sago?) palms too.

Dan
« Last Edit: October 22, 2019, 11:26:37 AM by Cacique Caribe »

Offline War Monkey

• Mastermind
    • Silo1313
« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2019, 05:55:10 PM »
I am very inspired by this, from "1000 Foot General" Blog;

https://1000footgeneral.blogspot.com/2017/06/making-jungle-terrain.html

I really like what he has done very much so!

I can't wait to get the materials to start this! Plus trying my hand at those Mangroves you did too, Dan.

Which reminds me, Dan did you use rubberized horse hair for the upper tree branches?