Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:40:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Grumpy Gnome Sci-fi (page 6 Core Space, Mars Attacks, Stargrave, 5 Parsecs)  (Read 11135 times)

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
Re: Late to the party.... Dropfleet, Full Thrust and Core Space
« Reply #60 on: January 22, 2020, 04:55:23 PM »
As always feed back, suggestions and advice are welcome. Feel free to discuss anything I mentioned on my blog in this thread since it is more user friendly than leaving comments on the blog.

The minis are not as glossy in person as they look in the photos. My photography skill has improved a bit but not nearly enough to do the minis justice.
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline Munindk

• Mad Scientist
  • Denmark
Re: Grumpy Gnome Sci-fi (page 4 Core Space traders)
« Reply #61 on: January 23, 2020, 09:54:10 AM »
I've been eyeing Core Space for a while now and your posts are beginning to worry my wallet.

I've got a couple of questions if you have the time :)
I've read that the miniatures supposed to be 28mm, but some say they're closer to 32mm. How big are the miniatures, how tall?

Do you buy your bases from Litko in the states, or have you found an EU supplier?

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #62 on: January 23, 2020, 10:54:34 AM »
Looking good, the extra effort shows. The white on the Tirgarde's vest looks a little thick - but that could be just the size of the photo. Many thin (painful at times) layers will solve that.
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #63 on: January 23, 2020, 01:11:32 PM »
Munindk, just measuring them now... I would say generally 32mm from Sole of the foot to eye level generally. I have had to become really flexible when it comes to scale variations over the last year. I tend to just consider it bonus diversity... especially in my sci-fi project since humanity may be evolving or genetically modified to suit different environments. Or what may look human might in fact be something else entirely.

I found some Litko bases on Amazon.de but they sold out. I found something close to Litko, but they sold out. Very frustrating really because I would prefer not having to import from the States. I found some 2mm thick clear bases on eBay.co.uk but have not ordered any yet and with Brexit looming may find British sourcing in the Future almost as irritating as American sourcing.

But the thinner bases look so much more appealing to me than the more commonly found 3mm ones.

Von Lucky, good spot there mate. Yeah, I got a bit carried away, sometimes less is more. I was using Army Painter Starship Exterior, which is more a very light grey than white and the thickness snuck up on me. It is much easier to work with than any white I have tried so far though, including the Citadel Contrast Apothecary White... which I used on Tirgarde‘s shoes.

Two things I need to do to improve my work. Thinner paint and more high lighting... but both take so much more time and my back log of projects is crazy.

I notice my photos do not really show the work on did. on all their eyes. It would seem I still have some way to go to improve my photography skills.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2020, 01:14:04 PM by Rick W. »

Offline Munindk

• Mad Scientist
  • Denmark
« Reply #64 on: January 23, 2020, 02:01:31 PM »
Thank you kindly :)

I'm asking because I think the Core Space crews might work for smugglers and the like for Star Wars, where I plan on using Star Wars Legion miniatures for the most part, and they're 35mm ish.

A couple of hundred 25mm and some 40mm and 50mm bases comes to $50 for the bases and $25 for the shipping... add in customs and it gets really silly.

I'll start to look for european 1,5mm thick bases. Maybe Oshiro can make them?

*edit* I found some from Australia on ebay. 9.85 australian dollars for 100 25mm discs 1.5mm thick. Shipping was 5 australian dollars. Comes to around 9.20 euros and its so cheap that its below the customs limit! I'll let you know if they're worth it when they arrive :) */edit*
« Last Edit: January 23, 2020, 08:03:58 PM by Munindk »

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #65 on: January 23, 2020, 08:50:21 PM »
I will be curious to hear if they are proper clear, without a blue or green tinge to them. Otherwise I am considering this supplier.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/50-Laser-Cut-2-3-or-5mm-Clear-Acrylic-Circles-Discs-War-Games-Workshop-Bases/122026378459?hash=item1c6956c4db:m:mAj7TipFNpolCXtZcJOux9w

Offline Munindk

• Mad Scientist
  • Denmark
« Reply #66 on: January 24, 2020, 01:14:42 PM »
I'll let you know when they arrive in 2-6 weeks :)

Meanwhile you can have the link, just bear in mind that I'm not yet recomending them (yet). I need to have the product in hand frist.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Acrylic-Disk-Circles-25mm-Diameter-1-5mm-Thick-x-100-pieces-Clear/301870690874?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

They also have other diameters and thickness' on their shop.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #67 on: January 24, 2020, 01:35:07 PM »
Thanks for the link. The feedback on the item looks good. I could do with some bigger bases for monsters, heavy weapons and robots.... and that is a great price. Just a bit of a wait on delivery... but my backlog is so big that is no stress. I may try them out.

Offline Munindk

• Mad Scientist
  • Denmark
« Reply #68 on: February 05, 2020, 04:24:46 PM »
I got my bases and they're as clear as can be. Got here fast, I ordered on the 23rd of January and the package arrived here today. Less than 2 weeks from Australia to Denmark.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #69 on: February 05, 2020, 11:30:00 PM »
That is pretty quick! I decided to get some 25mm and some 40mm from them yesterday, so it is a relief to hear yours arrived looking good.

Although I have not yet figured out how I am going to base this Troll Forged beastie.... Tau for scale reference... and I need to decide a color scheme. I am thinking an Alien Xenomorph kind of look...
« Last Edit: February 05, 2020, 11:53:42 PM by Rick W. »

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #70 on: February 17, 2020, 11:03:33 AM »
Having played a game of Core Space now I get it. Awesome game.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #71 on: February 17, 2020, 08:26:47 PM »
It is fun. I am glad to hear you enjoy it. And it has so much potential for further development.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
Re: Grumpy Gnome Sci-fi (page 5 Core Space/Full Thrust/Dropfleet discussion)
« Reply #72 on: September 20, 2022, 07:11:12 AM »
A bit of a thread resurrection… 🧟‍♂️

First thing. Mundiak, thanks for the tip on the bases. They worked out great for me.

Second thing….

This hobby can be quite frustrating. There is never enough time or money it seems. Priorities keep changing due to both internal and external factors.

I have managed to get a few games of Core Space in, once I got over my “Do not play games with unpainted minis” hang-up. Not quite finished with the stater campaign and the game is everything I hoped for. I backed Core Space:First Born as well and while I have not played it yet I am optimistic considering how much I like the base Core Space so far.

As for our Dropfleet stuff, including our Deep Cut Studio starfield game mat (which I felt looked a little too… washed out… for my taste), we ended up putting it all on eBay quite some time ago. It was quite a sizable collection and took some time to sell off in bits and pieces. But it felt like the right thing to do at the time in order to not over-extend ourselves.

Part of the reason I got back into analog tabletop wargaming was to replace PC gaming. And I do not regret that decision. But sometimes I will come across something on YouTube that will make me feel nostalgic, like a Fallout 4 video or an Arma video. And so it was seeing a Stellaris that brought back a space fleet battle itch…

While we had gotten rid of the rest we had kept the Full Trust Continuum rules and I was thinking about them when I saw some Firestorm Armada stuff on eBay. We did not win any of those Firestorm Armada auctions but the itch was there so I started rereading all the Firestorm Armada and Full Thrust stuff I could find online. I spent hours looking at the Bergstrom and GZG websites for ships but when I discussed it with Mrs. GG she did not see anything she liked as much as the Dropfleet ships we used to have.

Then we were fortunate enough to come across an old Dropfleet Kickstarter pledge bundle at a great price from a mate. Yes, it will add a lot to my “to-do” list but such is the way of the hobby.

Now, to be clear, previously I had planned on just using the Dropfleet ships to play Full Thrust as we were unsure Dropfleet Commander provided the kid of game we were after. We did mind the ground war aspect so much as just how quickly/easily the ships went “pop”. From a narrative perspective it just felt off to have ships be so… disposable. That said we really liked the signature management aspect of the combat rules.

And we now wonder how Dropfleet as evolved the last couple of years under TT Combat with all the new ship releases.

Getting information has been challenging as I am not on Facebook and do not use Discord.

And I recall the headache I had trying to write Full Thrust SSDs for the Dropfleet ships. Ugh! 🤕

As an aside we have also been picking up the Stargrave books/miniatures and the Five Parsecs from Home rule book. I have no idea when I will be able to get to them but at the very least I should be able to mine them for things to repurpose to Core Space. Suggestions/advice welcome!

And we have gotten our hands on an absolute motherlode of Mantic Mars Attacks stuff to put to use somehow…

Online Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
Re: Grumpy Gnome Sci-fi (page 5 Core Space, Full Thrust & Dropfleet)
« Reply #73 on: September 20, 2022, 07:44:03 AM »
Well then; welcome back to Dropfleet... :)

When I started playing, it was a shock to me too, as to how fragile ships are in the game. Even large cruisers, battleships or dreadnoughts can go boom after even a couple of hits. And the cascading effect of the (critical) hit tables can even cause a chain reaction of destruction across closely packed squadrons and even fleets. And then I'm playing Scourge to boot; the fastest but most fragile of all factions... ::)

But after a few games, things sort of clicked and I really enjoy the game. We don't play it often enough though (too many other games to play) to really get into the meta of it, but we're getting close nonetheless ;)

I also have a deep cuts mat, but I have the one with the fully lit up cityscape on the surface of the planet below. I thought it fit the setting best, as it's all about low orbit manoeuvering to get troops dropping on their objectives. Which, by rights, should then be played out (each and every one of them) as Dropzone Commander games, obviously :D

But where do the Star Trek miniatures fit into all of the above projects?
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
Re: Grumpy Gnome Sci-fi (page 5 Core Space, Full Thrust & Dropfleet)
« Reply #74 on: September 20, 2022, 11:03:28 AM »
The Star Trek minis are for a couple of projects.

1) Core Space… we also have some Firefly and Alien Xenomorpjs minis for this already. Ideally I would like to mix a bunch of minis from different IPs for this. Silly, I know.

2) We could not resist a recent Humble Bundle deal on the Modiphius Star Trek Adventures RPG PDF's…. while it is unlikely that we would be able to get a group to play a pen & paper RPG any time soon I was thinking we might be able to use information in the PDFs to add some Trek flavor to perhaps Five Parsecs from Home or something like that.

3) And finally… if nothing else…. shelf decoration. While much of the recent Trek material has been a disappointment for me I am still something of an old school Trekkie.

With the game mat, we went with a starfield as we were planning deep space combat rather than orbital. We get the Dropfleet orbital hook, it makes sense from a tactical/strategic sense. However we felt the ground combat mechanics were flawed. That is another reason we were thinking Full Thrust. That and the fighter/bomber mechanics. However, we are going to Spiel so we may get some new mats there. We both much prefer buying mats in person rather than trusting online photos.

Edit: We did look into playing Dropzone attached to Dropfleet but Mrs. GG really did not take to it and it would require us to start a whole need scale of terrain.  I do wonder if TT Combat will ever come out with a skirmish game in the Drop-Verse, ie Dropcompany Commander….
« Last Edit: September 20, 2022, 12:33:15 PM by Grumpy Gnome »