Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:37:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: MacKenzie Heights Battle  (Read 762 times)

Offline B6BosGO

• Librarian
    • Come on, my brave Fusiliers!
MacKenzie Heights Battle
« on: August 19, 2019, 04:31:43 PM »
The scenario was set quite soon after the battle of the Alma, while the Allied forces were setting up their bases on the southern shores of the peninsula and establishing siege lines in front of Sevastopol. In an attempt to drive the Allies back on their bases, or at least to delay the establishment of siege lines until more Russian forces could arrive, the Russian commander attacked across MacKenzie Heights.
The Russians easily secured their primary objective, the MacKenzie farm that covered the heights, but success of the operation could only really be assured by the occupation of the hill south of the farm that dominates the road between the British and French supply lines.

https://bravefusiliers.blogspot.com/2019/08/mackenzie-heights-battlepart-1.html

Game set up. Russians to the right. Cavalry is in the center riding through the village. One brigade of eight battalions to their right and another brigade of eight battalions to their left. This brigade has massed their guns into a grand battery opposite the French. The British are entering the field in the top left and French are entering on the bottom left. The Russian commanders decided to concentrate against the French. The cavalry, four battalions of infantry and one battery would hold the British. On the Allied side there was no coordination but just a hardy handshake and a cheerful good luck.

« Last Edit: August 19, 2019, 04:45:03 PM by B6BosGO »

Offline B6BosGO

• Librarian
Re: MacKenzie Heights Battle
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2019, 04:39:01 PM »
The Russians concentrated their forces against the French.  The two Zouaves regiments were decimated in a I'll planned attack on the Russian massed batteries.  The Russian infantry marched down on the remain French line and crushed them.  Forgotten in the fighting a single Russian infantry battalion ran up to the standing French cavalry and shot them down with close range musket fire.  A very sad end for a beautiful regiment.

For more details and pictures;
https://bravefusiliers.blogspot.com/2019/08/mackenzie-heights-battle.html

Offline B6BosGO

• Librarian
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2019, 04:43:18 PM »
On the other side of the table the British marched into the table. The Russians attacked with three cavalry regiments. The British deployed into line with artillery on both flanks and decimated the incoming cavalry. At this point the British held firm awaiting further attacks. But the Russians did likewise not wishing to face the deadly rifle fire. Once the French were destroyed they turn their full forces against the British. At this point the game ended with a dramatic Russian victory.

https://bravefusiliers.blogspot.com/2019/08/mackenzie-heights-battle.html

Offline PdMacMahon

• Schoolboy
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2019, 09:39:17 AM »
Lovely stuff. As I am researching the Crimean War do you mind sharing which miniature ranges you used for your French army? Brits and Russians ranges seems pretty solid but haven't found any Crimean specific Chasseurs d'Afrique and Zouaves (don't really fancy Wargames Foundry).

Offline B6BosGO

• Librarian
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2019, 10:10:07 PM »
I am afraid when I collected the figures and painted them there was little in the way of French figures.  The Zouaves are from Askari miniatures.  They are actually more correct for Franco Prussian but passable at a arms distance on the table top.  The rest are from Wargames Foundry.

Offline PdMacMahon

• Schoolboy
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2019, 10:34:42 PM »
That was what I was afraid of. I am looking at either https://www.eaglesofempire.com/product-page/french-zouaves-turcos or go the cheap, but rather historically non-correct, way of using Perry's ACW Zouaves. Askari also looks good, but due to lack of European seller a tad too expensive. If only Great War Miniatures had kept on producing miniatures for this very interesting conflict.

Offline B6BosGO

• Librarian
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2019, 08:03:21 AM »
I agree. And I wish they had added Turkish troops also.