Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 11:46:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689749
  • Total Topics: 118292
  • Online Today: 821
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Using This is Not a Test for Necromunda  (Read 1052 times)

Offline StreetBushido

• Bookworm
Using This is Not a Test for Necromunda
« on: August 19, 2019, 09:13:12 PM »
I recently got to play a game of Necromunda, my first ever session of it. Overall my impression wasn't overly positive.

After this experience I looked around for alternatives to Necromunda and got several recommendations for This is Not a Test. I read through the free demo rules and I liked what I saw.

Now I'm wondering how to use This is Not a Test for Necromunda. For instance, how to translate the various gangs of Necromunda into the factions available in This is Not a Test.

Any ideas? Has anybody else done something similar?

Offline Historiker

• Scientist
Re: Using This is Not a Test for Necromunda
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2019, 10:12:04 PM »
I actually had kinda the same experience regarding Necromunda (if you mean the new version). Was very much looking forward to playing it but after a few games I found it tedious and found other uses for the miniatures.

This is not a Test however I can absolutely recommend. Great system with fluid gameplay and lots of cinematic moments.

If you like gritty / cyberpunky SciFi settings it might be of interest to you that the author of This is not a Test has written a Cyberpunk Skirmish Game which is soon to be released by Osprey called Reality´s Edge.

You can find out about the game on the author's blog:

https://worldsendpublishing.com/blogs/news/realitys-edge-developers-blog-1

Somewhere on the blog he is describing the various archetypes which can make up a warband and I think they are broad enough to allow to create warbands which mirror those of Necromunda.

I personally know a guy who created his Cyberpunk warband by using a box of Delaque gangers as a basis.

The game itself apparently is said to be about 80% This is not a Test in regards to the rules, so if you like those rules there is a good chance you might like it.

I personally can't wait to finally get this massive book of Cyberpunk rules  8)
« Last Edit: August 19, 2019, 10:13:57 PM by Historiker »
"The philosopher Didactylos has summed up an alternative hypothesis as: Things just happen. What the hell."

Offline Historiker

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2019, 10:28:35 PM »
PS for the moderators:

I hope it was okay that I mention this game in the "Postapocalypse" section as it seemed to fit well in regards to the question posted.

As to using Necromunda-style Gangs with the This is not a Test ruleset:

I think it is definitely possible to translate the different styles of factions, but I do not know of a case where one has literally tried to do so.

If I would have to do it I would keep the This is not a Test rules-contents (items etc) as they are and just try to most closely mirror the unit archetypes. 

Offline Bullshott

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • I need a bigger hammer
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/27772452@N07/sets/
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2019, 11:37:02 PM »
I'm seriously considering using the new Cawdor box as the basis for a post-apocalyptic cult.
Sir Henry Bullshott, Keeper of Ancient Knowledge