Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:09:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686482
  • Total Topics: 118102
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The Other Partizan our Tobruk game.  (Read 1795 times)

Offline Volleyfire!

• Scientist
  • At 100 yards................Volleyfire!!!
The Other Partizan our Tobruk game.
« on: August 20, 2019, 08:28:14 AM »
So, after showing some photos of my game, which we've been playing at my place for the past few months on and off as we learn Bolt Action, to the guys from Doncaster club who basically got me and my stepson hooked on BA thanks to their participation games at Partizan, Hammerhead and the late Cannon shows over recent years, I decided to approach Laurence and see if the Newark irregulars could squeeze us into The Other Partizan last weekend. I didn't think my standard was high enough to go in the demo section, and after years of nagging Laurence on facebook to a, move to the showground and b, put on more participation games, I thought I'd give him the option of putting us wherever he fancied. So we ended up in the demo section, which I admit ramped up my stress levels no end. Being judged by your peers at your first show as an exhibitor is the most nerve-racking thing I've done in years.
Here is a selection of photos of the game. It was inspired by the film Tobruk starring Rock Hudson, George Peppard and Nigel Green. You may notice there were some goodies at the end of the table for passing punters to dip into, a basket of 'Rock' Hudsons and another of George Peppardmints alongside  a copy of the film poster. The game obviously struck a chord with those amongst us of that generation who grew up watching films such as Tobruk, so much so that the three judges, Laurence Baldwin, Dan Faulconbridge of Wargames Illustrated and Henry Hyde strolled over at about 3pm and awarded us the Best in Show trophy. It was a good job I was sitting down at the time, I went into shock. Gobsmacked doesn't really cover it. I have to say yet again a massive thank you to the Doncaster guys for inspiring us to take up BA and give me the inspiration to paint all those figures and vehicles and generally put together everything you see on the table.
So here are a few pictures for you all.

I've no idea who the old geezer is holding the trophy, I think I must have popped out of the room for a minute and he jumped in my place. I'm sure I'm younger looking with a lot more hair than that. :D

Offline moiterei_1984

• Mad Scientist
    • My hobby blog
Re: The Other Partizan our Tobruk game.
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2019, 03:22:04 PM »
Fantastic looking game and a well deserved trophy I‘d say!

Offline Volleyfire!

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2019, 04:46:41 PM »
Thank you, there's about 2 years solo work on the table, squeezed in around working a 70 - 80 hour week all year round so there's been an awful lot of burning the midnight oil. I didn't have time to finish a few bits and bobs, the British should have all been in CMP 15cwt trucks but I just ran out of time. Wish I'd ironed the cloths as well but two of them were straight out the packet from the manufacturer. I was dreading the day in the end, but after lots of very nice comments, loads of people taking photos as well as doing the audio for the WI Prime with Dan I felt a lot better. 

Offline Tim Haslam

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2019, 05:20:58 PM »
Stunning, thanks for showing.
A millionaire trapped in a peasants body!

Offline Paratrooper 42

• Librarian
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2019, 08:01:00 PM »
Great looking game

Offline James Morris

• Mastermind
    • mogsymakes
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2019, 09:04:16 PM »
A great achievement with some lovely attention to detail! Putting on games at Partizan can be intimidating but you have pulled it off with style and hopefully given others the inspiration to do so too.

Offline Volleyfire!

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2019, 08:04:03 AM »
A great achievement with some lovely attention to detail! Putting on games at Partizan can be intimidating but you have pulled it off with style and hopefully given others the inspiration to do so too.

Thank you James, it was a very humbling experience receiving that award I can tell you! As someone who has admired your games at shows your words mean a lot.
Thank you to everyone else for your kind comments.

Offline Mark M Down

• Librarian
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2019, 06:42:28 PM »
Looks like a great table, supported with great figures and vehicles. Well done.

Offline aphillathehun

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2019, 01:10:39 AM »
Good job!  I can see why you'd get that award - the buildings and the vehicles look awesome.  I imagine the minis do too from what I can see of the other stuff in the photo.  Nicely done!

It's games like this I see pictured that make me want to come to the UK for a convention some time.

Offline JOHN BOND

• Assistant
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2019, 06:40:27 AM »
Nice work on a great gaming table
cheers JOhn

Offline levied troop

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2019, 06:56:11 AM »
Congratulations, that looks a splendid table.
The League of Gentlemen Anti Alchemists
(We Turn Gold into Lead)

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2019, 09:08:37 AM »
Well done indeed Volleyfire! - the overall effect is great. Scale and lots of buildings - always a winning formula. Congratulations on taking the plunge and on your trophy  :)

Speaking as someone who doesn't much like printed mats, MDF buildings or strip roads, your table goes to show that the whole can transform into much more than the sum of the parts to create real visual impact.

I do like those official-looking white North African buildings. I feel like I need to make / adapt something like that for my desert war terrain...  ::) Where are they from?

Offline Volleyfire!

• Scientist
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2019, 03:44:25 PM »
Speaking as someone who doesn't much like printed mats, MDF buildings or strip roads, your table goes to show that the whole can transform into much more than the sum of the parts to create real visual impact.

I do like those official-looking white North African buildings. I feel like I need to make / adapt something like that for my desert war terrain...  ::) Where are they from?
[/quote]

Thank you for your most generous praise Captain Blood,  I only wish I could reach your dizzy heights of painting and modelling. I'd have gone down the same route as you did with making boards but I don't have the time I'm afraid. I am hoping to possibly commission some in the future from somewhere, TM Terrain possibly, but for the time being it was a case of what other period could I use my very expensive mat for, besides the Mahdists in the Sudan, in order to get the maximum use out of it? Since I'd been following your postings on here with your own North Africa forces it seemed the obvious choice.

I'm afraid that the white colonial buildings are (better sit down and brace yourself) Sarissa Precision MDF. They're nice kits and go together very well.

I think that if it had just been a mat with a few strip roads thrown on it and possibly the odd bit of foliage it wouldn't have been much to look at at all. But as you say, if you try and meld the whole assortment together so it isn't disjointed the overall effect is quite good. I just wish I'd ironed the mats but two were brand new just for the occasion and straight out the packet.  :-[

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2019, 05:05:00 PM »

I'm afraid that the white colonial buildings are (better sit down and brace yourself) Sarissa Precision MDF. They're nice kits and go together very well.

Haha! Thank you :)
I think they look great actually. I'm sure I could model a bit more 3D-ness to the roof walls, which is really the only thing that gives the game away.

Offline Volleyfire!

• Scientist
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2019, 06:07:25 PM »
As one of my companions in the photo,( David I'd better give him a name check),  has a very nice Indian Mutiny collection of Iron Duke figures I thought the main building might do for that period as well, if you turn your head on one side, stand back a bit and squint.  :D