Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 12:07:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: El Cid project  (Read 3684 times)

Offline Erik

• Scientist
El Cid project
« on: August 20, 2019, 04:49:27 PM »
This summers spur of the moment wargaming fling was all about Spain. After reading an article in my newspaper about Extremadura and persuading my family to go there next summer I realized that I NEEDED an El Cid project to keep me happy until we actually got there. The problem however was, and I am very ashamed to admit this, that I have unpainted miniatures in my basement!!! Quite a lot actually and many from recent unfinished projects. A new project was out of the question until I had at least finished my Hittites bought this spring. The itch would not go away however even though I was trying my very best to be sensible.       

The solution came when I was skimming through the Warhammer Ancient El Cid book. Here they presented a quick and easy way to give your Normans and Crusaders a more Iberian look using a little bit of greenstuff. I have some Normans lying around from an old Saga project, so off I went. A headband to look like a turban and some shield decorations. Combined with round shields the former Frenchies suddenly look much more Spanish.

I gave the already painted Normans a little more color to their helmets and my first small knight unit was ready.

I have two more unassembled Normans that I can convert to make another knight unit. After that its on to my crossbowmen and Conquest infantry. This way I can get quite far without actually buying new miniatures. Brilliant!!! :-* This will hopefully keep my Iberian itch at bay for some time.

Cheers
Erik

Offline Neldoreth

• Mastermind
    • An Hour of Wolves and Shattered Shields
Re: El Cid project
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2019, 05:14:55 PM »
The problem however was, and I am very ashamed to admit this, that I have unpainted miniatures in my basement!!! Quite a lot actually and many from recent unfinished projects. A new project was out of the question until I had at least finished my Hittites bought this spring.

Haha, I can't tell whether or not you're joking, but I love that none-the-less :D There was a time when I managed to stop accruing more miniatures by painting all of the ones I'd bought, but it is nearly impossible to actually reduce the lead/plastic mountain...

As for the El-Cid conversions, they look great! Absolutely fantastic! If I may make one suggestion, I'd add some more beards to the Spanish. Unlike the Normans, some El-Cid era Spanish wore their facial hair proudly.

I'm looking forward to seeing this project come together. Thanks for posting.

n.

Offline Erik

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2019, 06:45:20 PM »
Don't worry. It was a joke. My problem is that I am still interested in the unfinished projects, so I really don't need a new one (as opposed to all former projects which I needed lol).

Thanks for the tip about beards. I will give it a go. I was also thinking about veils to give them a more exotic
look.

I am glad you liked them. Your own Andalusian models are very impressive and most inspirational.

cheers
Erik

Offline James Morris

• Mastermind
    • mogsymakes
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2019, 08:41:29 PM »
Those are very nice - amazing what a round shield and some tassels will do! I second the call about beards. Adding a longer robe at the base of the mail isn’t too hard either and looks very Iberian. Good luck!

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2019, 10:09:00 PM »
Lovely work on the conversions.  :-*

I'd tend to err on the side of bling with the painting of the shields etc. The Medieval period was garish in terms of colour for those who had access to the expensive dyes and who could afford it. With the price of good quality dyes at a huge premium due to enormous distances and sometimes extreme conditions in gathering; it was one way certain way in which to exemplify your status.

Kind Regards
« Last Edit: August 21, 2019, 05:04:31 AM by Atheling »

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2019, 02:58:03 AM »
Excellent choice Erik! I went a similar route several years ago for my Taifa Kingdoms army.

Online Dr. Zombie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2019, 08:11:38 AM »
Oh wow!
That small amout of green stuff really takes them a long way. They look awesome.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2019, 08:36:48 AM »
Oh wow!
That small amout of green stuff really takes them a long way. They look awesome.

There's a great article about conversions for Andalucian, Alhoravid and Almohad conversions in the WAB El Cid book, of which our very own James Morris was the author. One of the better WAB books IMHO as all the army lists are very well balanced and thus plays really well  8)

The last WAB campaign weekend that I played in, indeed the last one to be held at GWHQ, was an El Cid campaign run by James.

I'm sure I've got some great pictures somewhere if anyone's interested?

Kind Regards

Offline Neldoreth

• Mastermind
    • An Hour of Wolves and Shattered Shields
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2019, 11:27:20 PM »
There's a great article about conversions for Andalucian, Alhoravid and Almohad conversions in the WAB El Cid book, of which our very own James Morris was the author. One of the better WAB books IMHO as all the army lists are very well balanced and thus plays really well  8)

The last WAB campaign weekend that I played in, indeed the last one to be held at GWHQ, was an El Cid campaign run by James.

I'm sure I've got some great pictures somewhere if anyone's interested?

Kind Regards

That book is one of the two WAB books that I still refer to (the Viking one is the other). I often go back to it as inspiration for all of my Al-Andalus projects.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2019, 07:42:11 AM »
That book is one of the two WAB books that I still refer to (the Viking one is the other). I often go back to it as inspiration for all of my Al-Andalus projects.

I agree; Shieldwall is another good one though the lists are open to abuse (ie Normans taking Heavy Armour [I'm guilty of doing so  ::) ]). I think the most balanced WAB books were the ones that James Morris wrote, El Cid (avoid the fantasy stats in the back!) and Age of Arthur (again, avoid the fantasy stats in the back!). They both play seamlessly too.

I'm lucky enough to have played in both campaign weekends at WHW. Really good times as I don't think there was a single player who was there looking to just win. It was all in good faith and the spirit of the game.

Kind Regards

Offline Antonio J Carrasco

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2019, 05:23:56 AM »
If I may make one suggestion, I'd add some more beards to the Spanish. Unlike the Normans, some El-Cid era Spanish wore their facial hair proudly.

Actually, it was El Cid who was famous for his beard -according to the Poem of Mio Cid, at least-, and it was, apparently, somewhat exceptional. According to the Poem he left his beard uncut as a form of protest for his (unjust) exile. Even if the Poem is a work of fiction, what it is relevant is that the author or authors considered a long beard as something exceptional enough to merit commentary. Iconography from the 9th to 13th Centuries shows Christians as unbearded or with short beards, while Muslims and Jews had long beards. Maybe that's why the Poem feels that the famously long Ell Cid's beard should be justified, to avoid any association of the Christian hero with Muslims or Jews (although he did associate with Muslims, being, as he was, a mercenary that fought for the Muslim kings of Zaragoza and Valencia, against Muslims and Christians)

Offline richardpate

• Assistant
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2020, 08:28:49 PM »
those are very correct looking for the reconquista, good job, rick

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2020, 06:47:34 AM »
Actually, it was El Cid who was famous for his beard -according to the Poem of Mio Cid, at least-, and it was, apparently, somewhat exceptional. According to the Poem he left his beard uncut as a form of protest for his (unjust) exile. Even if the Poem is a work of fiction, what it is relevant is that the author or authors considered a long beard as something exceptional enough to merit commentary. Iconography from the 9th to 13th Centuries shows Christians as unbearded or with short beards, while Muslims and Jews had long beards. Maybe that's why the Poem feels that the famously long Ell Cid's beard should be justified, to avoid any association of the Christian hero with Muslims or Jews (although he did associate with Muslims, being, as he was, a mercenary that fought for the Muslim kings of Zaragoza and Valencia, against Muslims and Christians)

Didn't the story go that he grew his beard in protest as a result of his exile Antonio?

Offline guitarheroandy

• Mad Scientist
    • Andy's Wargaming Blog
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2020, 12:59:53 PM »
Lovely to see some El Cid figures! I painted an entire WAB El Cid force using converted Perry crusade figures. Have a look here - might help with some ideas  https://guitarheroandy.blogspot.com/2009/05/painting-update-el-cid.html

I did the tasselled round shield thing and sculpted loads of longer robes under the mail. Took a bit of time but was so worth it!

Looking forward to seeing more of your project!

Offline Erik

• Scientist
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2020, 07:33:34 AM »
Lovely to see some El Cid figures! I painted an entire WAB El Cid force using converted Perry crusade figures. Have a look here - might help with some ideas  https://guitarheroandy.blogspot.com/2009/05/painting-update-el-cid.html

I did the tasselled round shield thing and sculpted loads of longer robes under the mail. Took a bit of time but was so worth it!

Looking forward to seeing more of your project!

Thank you for the kind words and for the very inspirational pictures. I havn't worked on these guys since summer, so some inspiration is very welcome. I recently got hold of the new Victrix Saxon and think they might also have Iberian potential.

Cheers
Erik