Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 12:36:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Source for 28mm AWI Skirmishers?  (Read 1722 times)

Offline Hrothgar

• Scientist
  • "We grow old because we stop playing" - GBS
    • Cheshirekat's Hobby Corner
Source for 28mm AWI Skirmishers?
« on: August 15, 2019, 02:03:51 PM »
Hi all...long time member here, but missing in action for some time. Was hoping for some direction from the collective wisdom of the group. I am looking for 15-20 28mm Continental Infantrymen in skirmishing order for use in an rpg/skirmish/boardgame hybrid. I've looked over the Warlord Black Powder offerings, and in their plastic sets they each seem to offer an abundance of ramrod-straight troops in formation with only a handful of skirmishing poses, the one exception being the Continental Militia set, who are not uniformed and so will not work for my purposes. The Perry's also seem pretty static, offering mostly marching poses.

The in-formation troops just don't work for me either (I've tried same using some Old Glory troops I have on hand, and they just don't feel right). So, I am curious if anyone here can suggest a good source of skirmishing 28mm AWI Continental Infantry that won't break the bank?  Plastic is definitely preferred.

I was also considering possibly using Perry AWI British infantry, as that set at least offers an advancing pose for all figures from the rank and file sprue-I believe. But again, that is a big box of figures for my needs.

Failing that, does anyone know of any sources in the US for single Black Powder  or Perry sprues? I would order right from Warlord, but the shipping across the pond is not cost effective for my needs and budget.

Many thanks in advance!

Jason
« Last Edit: August 15, 2019, 03:00:26 PM by Hrothgar »

Offline armchairgeneral

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
Re: Source for 28mm AWI Skirmishers?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2019, 02:31:18 PM »
You might want to check out Brigade Games. They are doing a new AWI range which includes a uniformed militia which might suit your needs?

http://brigadegames.3dcartstores.com/AWI--American-War-of-Independence_c_780.html

Offline Hrothgar

• Scientist
  • "We grow old because we stop playing" - GBS
    • Cheshirekat's Hobby Corner
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2019, 02:59:48 PM »
Thanks for the link. Those really are nice figures, but being metal they don't really lend themselves as easily to conversion.

Follow-up question for anyone familiar with the Warlord plastic British or Continental boxed sets - I have tried mightily to work out the arm combinations possible from pics of the sprues I have found, but it's rather difficult to determine. Does anyone know if they contain enough arms in the advancing or at ready poses for most figures? Thanks!

Offline Sir_Theo

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2019, 03:09:49 PM »
Galloping Major do some? UK based but they ship internationally. http://www.gallopingmajorwargames.com/userimages/procart18.htm

Offline frank xerox

• Scientist

Offline Oldgamer

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2019, 06:38:00 PM »
Fife and Drum have some skirmishers but Perry are your best bet.
Kings Mountain also have a couple of packs of Continentals in less formal stances.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2019, 06:55:32 PM by Oldgamer »

Offline kingsmt

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2019, 08:49:48 AM »
http://kingsmtminis.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=23_28&osCsid=69960189220d27da64a2967438dcf591

My Continentals are all in skirmish poses and come with separate heads, so that you can portray almost any Unit.
The uniforms are "campaign" style. Mix in some Over Mountain Men scouts and you have a nice little skirmish force.

Much better that you could ever do in plastic.

Offline Arthur

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2019, 06:48:44 PM »
Eureka Miniatures also do some skirmishing types in campaign (i.e very tattered) uniforms :

https://eurekaminusa.com/collections/age-of-reason-awi-ragged-continentals-28mm

Offline bluewillow

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Bluewillow- Matthew Williamson
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2019, 06:05:38 AM »
Perry, Eureka, foundr and fife and Drum all have suitable figures

Cheers
Matt

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2019, 05:53:57 PM »
Off the top of my head, how about Old Glory?
I am going to build a wargames army, a big beautiful wargames army, and Mexico is going to pay for it.

2019 Painting Challenge :
figures bought: 500+
figures painted: 57
9 vehicles painted
4 terrain pieces scratchbuilt

Offline Ceeteegee

• Librarian
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2019, 04:42:06 PM »
I've made skirmishers from a combination of Perry and Warlord plastics.
The brothers made a substantial number of militia from their continental box for a campaign and these featured on the Perry Miniatures Facebook page some time ago.
I've made militia for my Loyalist force with them after being gifted several Warlod Games militia sprues. Their riflemen also include a small  number equipped with short German rifles that came from the Hessian sprues. The officer has a gorget as I used a British officer body along with Washington's head from the Warlord artillery sprue ( a very distinguished looking fellow).
My British lights used the Perry bodies with Warlord arms which have the lace already on the shoulders. 
They include a unit with the low mitre and these are modified from the Warlord Games Hessian fusileer headgear ( the 47th Foot if I  recall) as it seems that nobody does this hat. The 40th lights use the cap from the artillery sprue to mark them out from the hatmen.
Always remember that the main purpose of the body's to enjoy yourself.

« Last Edit: August 24, 2019, 04:47:13 PM by Ceeteegee »