Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:03:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686436
  • Total Topics: 118099
  • Online Today: 689
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Help! Trying to find British Army through the ages models  (Read 774 times)

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
Help! Trying to find British Army through the ages models
« on: August 20, 2019, 08:53:56 PM »
My brother keeps pining for a set of single figures depicting the British Army through the ages, from Cromwell's New Model Army to present day, but I can't find any. The scale would need to be something like 1:32 to 1:16 - I'm thinking of the old plastic kits you used to be able to get but it could be metal or resin. Does anyone know where they could be found?

Thanks in advance.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline voltan

• Mastermind
Re: Help! Trying to find British Army through the ages models
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2019, 09:05:15 PM »
Had a brain explosion moment and remembered there 54mm ones from irregular, would they be any good?

http://www.irregularminiatures.co.uk/54mmRanges/54mm%20At%20attention.htm
Yvan eht nioj!

Offline Paul Hicks

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2019, 09:08:28 PM »
Have you tried the old Airfix collectors series on EBay. They did loads From Cromwell, AWI and Napoleonic foot and cavalry. All plastic and 54mm. Of their time but great fun.

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2019, 09:18:14 PM »
Had a brain explosion moment and remembered there 54mm ones from irregular, would they be any good?

http://www.irregularminiatures.co.uk/54mmRanges/54mm%20At%20attention.htm

That, my friend, looks perfect. So many thanks.

Cheers Mr Hicks as well for your kind help, the Airfix guys were what I was originally thinking of, but I don't think they have the full historical range he wanted.

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2019, 09:33:00 PM »
If you are looking at 54mm then the place to start would be with New Hope Design, now part of SHQ.
They do a huge range of figures based directly on illustrations in the Osprey MAA series books.

Not as finely detailed collector pieces as Le Cimier and such but very good "painters" figures.
http://newhopedesign.shqminiatures.co.uk/index.htm__
Website is a bit temperamental (and very VERY old school) but don't be put off, the service is excellent.

Another great collection was the Ensign Range by Major Robert Rowe but I am not sure if they are still available anywhere. Always around on eBay though.

Well painted examples of each are frequent medallists in the BMSS competitions so quality is certain.

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2019, 10:12:06 PM »
Cheers Robh, thanks for the pointer. I reckon I'm going with Irregular as it's bang on what he was talking about.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2019, 07:33:32 AM »
The Irregular set seems a perfect fit.

If I was going to do this with a Rolls Royce solution though, I’d go for the fabled Chas C Stadden range, which were on plinths and (I think) 90mm. As sold by ‘Tradition’ in days of yore, when it was the only toy soldier shop in London! Every type of British soldier from history, and quite a lot more besides. Not sure if they’re still being made and sold by anybody, but there’s a big second hand market and they are not in short supply. At about 25 quid a figure though, they aren’t cheap. But a dozen or so of them would make a jolly nice collection showing the British soldier through the ages.

If you’ve got a spare few hundred quid and the time to go tracking down and acquiring a suitable selection that is  ;)

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2019, 08:24:31 AM »
I don't like him that much to be honest.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2019, 08:31:56 AM »
lol

I thought you'd say that.

:D