Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:00:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686475
  • Total Topics: 118102
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Painting black uniforms for 6mm minis?  (Read 884 times)

Offline LazyStudent

• Librarian
Painting black uniforms for 6mm minis?
« on: August 22, 2019, 02:53:15 PM »
Hi all,

I am searching for some advice from the assembled expertise! I plan to start a Napoleonic project in 6mm, and I am reseaching the unifroms etc at the moment.

One piece of advice I have seen a lot is to artifically 'brighten' the colour pallet that one uses for 6mm to make the figures stand out from the table. I understand the priciple and have no problem with doing it except the question of what should one do when the troops in question wore black uniforms?!? Lightening the colour pallet leads quickly into gray, which is then not correct. 

Any advice is gratefully received.

Thanks in advance,
LS :)
(Edited for spelling correction!)
« Last Edit: August 22, 2019, 02:55:22 PM by LazyStudent »
"History is a set of lies agreed upon.”
― Napoleon Bonaparte

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Re: Painting black unifroms for 6mm minis
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2019, 02:57:03 PM »

I’ve seen people using blue or pink to highlight black… I don’t know if it will work on 6mm minis though... :?
A CANADIAN local hobby store with a small selection of historical wargames miniatures (mainly from Warlords). They also have a great selection of paint and hobby accessories from Vallejo, Army painter, AK Interactive, Green Stuff World and more.; https://www.kingdomtitans.ca/us/

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
Re: Painting black uniforms for 6mm minis?
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2019, 03:46:11 PM »
Try a very dark grey with a heavy black wash. I have not tried it, but that would be my choice. You would probably have to pick brighter, lighter colours after the wash.

Offline Brandlin

• Mad Scientist
    • Brandlin
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2019, 03:51:54 PM »
Try a very dark grey with a heavy black wash. I have not tried it, but that would be my choice. You would probably have to pick brighter, lighter colours after the wash.

This ^^^

Black is the absence of light and no object you look at is truly black. Fabric in particular will have lots of shades of grey.

Offline Shahbahraz

• Mastermind
    • A Lead Odyssey
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2019, 05:22:54 PM »
Yes, I don't have any minis to hand, but that's what I do. I use a Vallejo dark grey, then wash with GW Nuln Oil wash.

If I am feeling particularly enthusiastic, and the figures have large enough areas of black and sculpting to suit, base coat Dark Grey, drybrush Basalt or London grey, then add the wash.
Wargaming since the dark ages...

---https://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/---

Offline LazyStudent

• Librarian
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2019, 08:42:57 AM »
Thanks all!
I knew the LAF would be able to help :D

I will attempt the dark grey and wash aproach and report back! I have also found that Foundary do a triad for black, which includes a couple of very dark greys. I might look into getting these as well.

On the topic of highlighting black, can someone expand on the point mentioned by Calimero about highlighting it with pink??! I have never seen that, but it sounds interesting!

THANKS AGAIN!
LS :)

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2019, 09:11:57 AM »
As the others already said. Except, if you want a bit of colour in there, you might want to start with (for instance) a dark blue as the basecoat, before the black wash.

I mainly use Vallejo Model Colour German Grey for this, and it works a treat. It's a dark blue grey. If you want things a bit brighter, try VMC Luftwaffe Grey. If the result is too bright, just add a second wash... :)
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline 6milPhil

• Galactic Brain
    • Slug Industries
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2019, 04:23:15 PM »
I never use black on 6mil preferring a dark grey. I use the Vallejo of the same name #70.994, and very often dry brush it with a medium, or darker, grey depending on what I'm after. Have a play and see which you prefer?

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2019, 12:19:57 AM »
Agreed as above - 6mm needs a pop to bring out the detail.
It’s a beautiful thing, the destruction of words - Orwell, 1984