Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 05:28:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690674
  • Total Topics: 118343
  • Online Today: 866
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: ECW Dragoons: how to base?  (Read 2083 times)

Offline since1968

• Bookworm
    • since1968
ECW Dragoons: how to base?
« on: August 22, 2019, 08:24:31 PM »
I'm basing Dragoons to use in Pikeman's Lament and Pike & Shotte. Both games support 6 models for this type of unit.

Option #1:
  • 6 mounted models, two models per 50mm base, total of three bases, plus...
  • 6 dismounted models, one model per 20mm base, total of six bases.
I would switch out the models depending on whether the units are mounted or dismounted. Not sure if this is supported in either set of rules?

More to paint, but in a pinch the dismounted dragoons could represent a unit of forlorn hope.

Option #2:
  • 3 mounted models
  • 3 dismounted models
  • One of each type on 50mm base, for total of three bases.
This option would look a bit like the attached Angus McBride image.

Is there a "right" way to do it?

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
Re: ECW Dragoons: how to base?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2019, 10:04:28 PM »
Do whatever floats your boat.
I prefer having mounted & dismounted. Swapping them to show if they are mounted or not.
A friend prefers both mounted & dismounted figures on the same base, as you said, 'like
the illustration' Your figures your choice.

Offline Kitsune

• Mad Scientist
    • Mosquito on the Tenth Floor
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2019, 12:12:18 AM »
I did mine separately on 50x100 for mounted and on 25mm rounds for foot. Wish I’d done the the foot three on 40mm and a couple on individual 25mms now though.

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2019, 12:22:11 AM »
Personally I had mounted two to a base and foot based singularly.Plus a single circular base of four horses and a minder.Important for me as I never took to the idea of disappearing horses when they dismounted,( always seemed a tactical element is lost by ignoring dragoons horses.)

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2019, 04:22:29 AM »
I based mine individually (mounted as well). That way I could use them as skirmishers if I so chose, however I have only ever used them ranked ::).  I don't think it is important to have models representing them when both mounted and dismounted, especially in games the scale of Pike and Shotte. I have the Warlord Games Dragoons box set and if I use mixed units of mounted and dismounted then I now have 2 units of dragoons I can deploy.

Offline Parrot

• Librarian
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2019, 04:58:07 AM »
I have mine based for Pikemans Lament as 5 individual troopers and 1 horse holder with 4 horses.  I think it looks good, If that were to change, I would look for either 6 on horses on the move, or a mix of dismounted and mounted troops on standing horses.  Everybody either standing still or everybody moving looks better to me than half doing one thing and half doing another.  For Pikemans Lament I would use 6 dismounted dragoons for commanded shot.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2019, 05:03:25 AM by Parrot »

Offline SteveBurt

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2019, 09:44:48 AM »
I did my dragoons with dismounted guys shooting and a standing horse behind

Offline since1968

• Bookworm
    • since1968
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2019, 11:25:45 AM »
I have mine based for Pikemans Lament as 5 individual troopers and 1 horse holder with 4 horses.

That sounds great. Where did you find a horse holder and horses?

For my first unit I ended up basing mounted and dismounted in pairs on 50mm. We'll see how that plays / looks on the table. I'll paint three extra dismounted for a unit of PL Commanded Shot.

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2019, 05:28:14 PM »

For my first unit I ended up basing mounted and dismounted in pairs on 50mm. We'll see how that plays / looks on the table. I'll paint three extra dismounted for a unit of PL Commanded Shot.

Bicorne do two excellent sets of dragoon horse holders.
I am going to build a wargames army, a big beautiful wargames army, and Mexico is going to pay for it.

2019 Painting Challenge :
figures bought: 500+
figures painted: 57
9 vehicles painted
4 terrain pieces scratchbuilt

Offline Parrot

• Librarian
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2019, 10:24:33 PM »

My Dragoons, Horses and Horse Holders are all from The Assault Group.  Warlord also makes a nice looking holder with horses for their range, though I have not seen it in person, but I am generally pleased with Warlords metal offerings.

Offline FierceKitty

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2019, 02:39:38 AM »
I do mine on deep bases with four firing figures, and behind them two horses and a groom. The numbers don't add up, but it looks right.
The laws of probability do not apply to my dice in wargames or to my finesses in bridge.

Offline Kitsune

• Mad Scientist
    • Mosquito on the Tenth Floor
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2019, 05:02:24 AM »
I’ve got the Warlord horse holder and it’s very nice. There’s also a lovely one at Empress Minis

Offline Sparrow

• Mastermind
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2019, 06:12:29 AM »
I’ve got the Warlord horse holder and it’s very nice. There’s also a lovely one at Empress Minis

Empress one can be found here https://www.empressminiatures.com/ecw76-123-p.asp

No idea re how to represent in Pikeman’s Lament but my own mounted Dragoons are individually based (on ovoid bases from Warbases) and dismounted on round 25mm bases. This way they stand out from my cavalry (mounted in 2’s 50mm x 50mm) and Foot (in 4’s 40mm x 40mm). Horeholders are on the smallest round base that will fit them. For an idea of their battlefield deployment try the Sprigge Naseby map ( https://www.keepyourpowderdry.co.uk/2018/01/streeter-streater-or-sturt.html ).

Their role is fascinating as the wars progress (given their widely variable quality) , sometimes used as supporting firepower for cavalry, sometimes in their traditional role, and sometimes it seems as pseudo ‘special forces” (a really poor description but look up Okey’s Dragoons at Bath). It seems that there was rarely such a thing as a “typical” Dragoon. Much depended on where they were raised from (plus quality of officers etc), what shortage they were filling within an army and what equipment could be provided plus the needs of the particular campaign. So much more research needed into their use during the Wars.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2019, 06:36:44 AM by Sparrow »
Put your trust in God and keep your powder dry!

Offline since1968

• Bookworm
    • since1968
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2019, 11:49:49 PM »
Bicorne do two excellent sets of dragoon horse holders.

Ordered. Thank you!

Offline since1968

• Bookworm
    • since1968
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2019, 11:51:20 PM »
Empress one can be found here https://www.empressminiatures.com/ecw76-123-p.asp

Ahhhhh. That is lovely.

Do you mix Empress and Perry? I ordered a bunch of Empress but they're so big I'm not sure I can use them in the same units as the Perry ECW.