Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:34:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Moderation extreme?  (Read 2466 times)

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
Moderation extreme?
« on: August 23, 2019, 04:45:06 AM »
The Russian bot, the service decline - perhaps both belong in this section and the moderati might allow some leeway?

Seems extreme.  o_o
It’s a beautiful thing, the destruction of words - Orwell, 1984

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
Re: Moderation extreme?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2019, 06:19:54 AM »
I don't think so.  LAF, even with new management doesn't really do the usual "off topic" forum discussions.  This is still "General Wargames and Hobby"  - the service decline thread was simply moved.  The other two topics really weren't very useful in this area or on the forum.

It's one of the reasons I keep coming to LAF - because it isn't the wild west or "town square" style.  I have other forums and Facebook for that.  LAF has always been pretty solid about keeping everything on topic when possible.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 166
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline v_lazy_dragon

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2019, 06:25:14 AM »
It's one of the reasons I keep coming to LAF - because it isn't the wild west or "town square" style.  I have other forums and Facebook for that.  LAF has always been pretty solid about keeping everything on topic when possible.

This - I like the level of moderation, and the fact that things are kept Wargames related
Xander
Army painters thread: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=56540.msg671536#new
WinterApoc thread: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=50815.0

Offline MeridarchGekkota

• Bookworm
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2019, 06:45:44 AM »
I appreciate the moderation here actually.

The blanket ban is better than rules that get applied arbitrarily (I've found that, often, in other discussion places the rules never get applied to the moderator's friends but only to newcomers / people they don't like) and I think it keeps the forum constrained.

Compare it with the Wargaming Discord (PM me if you want an invite) I'm in which is a very Wild West "anything goes" environment and the difference is obvious.

Offline Belgian

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Wargame News and Terrain
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2019, 07:02:31 AM »
To be honest, pretty happy with the moderation as mentionned before this is a miniature wargame forum, I don't know why people really want to post that kind of topics here. I like the moderation level to keep this a pure wargaming forum as in most cases the removed or locked threads don't really contribute to the hobby in any positive way.

The Lead Adventure Forum has always been a positive environment to see, share information about wargaming with fellow minded hobbyists. There has been a decline in that positivity over the years sadly, not refering to the mentionned threads and posting members but there is already a rise in negative posts and negative attitude of certain newer members that really don't contribute to the forum and are really annoying in my opinion. To be honest don't really like the idea of this thread either with a title moderation extreme? I would certainly don't call the moderation extreme and I'm sure most of the membership would agree.

I understand the right for free expression/ opinion and so but think the owners of this forum are free to set the bar as they have always done in great fairness and patience. This is a hobby forum and the problems and issues of world politics and other general real life issues should be discussed through other channels such as social media, other websites and forums. I know at least one wargame forum where such talk is more than welcome so I would recommend those options if you really need to vent particular opinions or share some experiences.

Note that if you have life changing issues, personal problems or questions regarding certain aspects of life you can always ask for help here and sure most members will gladly help you despite not being hobby-related.
Wargame News and Terrain Blog, daily updated with the latest wargame news

Interested click https://wargameterrain.blogspot.com/

Offline Belligerentparrot

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2019, 07:53:24 AM »
Yep, +1 for what the mods are doing from me. Very happy with this forum the way it is.

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2019, 08:16:34 AM »
I think the mods do a cracking job, and the balance on LAF is v.reasonable.

:)

Offline Antonio J Carrasco

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2019, 08:39:23 AM »
To be honest, I barely notice the moderation. I suppose that means they are doing their job right.

As one of the affected parties (I started the thread about the Russian bot) I think that, while the contents were harmless, Chris took the right decision. The thread was indeed against the forum rules, even if I didn't realize it at the time. It wasn't related, even in passing, to wargaming. Of course, being a wargamer at the core, I couldn't stop thinking how interesting a boardgame of NSA vs Russian bots could be! But I disgress... Point is that I can assure you that I didn't take offence.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2019, 08:41:20 AM by Antonio J Carrasco »

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2019, 08:46:34 AM »
http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=59001.0

The moderation probably feels extreme if you haven't read the rules and haven't understood what the forum is here for.
Of course plenty of people would be happy to come here and discuss anything. But the LAF position on this has always been that there are many many social media outlets out there where one can shoot the breeze to one's heart's content, on any topic one pleases.
Here, it's got to be squarely and directly related to wargaming. That's the mandate set by the Prof, who created this place. He no longer owns the forum, but the ethos hasn't changed, so it shouldn't really come as too much of a surprise to anyone :)

A couple of extracts from the rules at the head of this board may help:

You may no longer open topics which are not directly related to the wargaming or modelling hobbies. By this change, we intend to restore the LAF's original purpose, which is a hobby forum specifically dedicated towards wargaming, the making, modelling and painting of miniatures, as well as the collecting aspect. ALL OTHER TOPICS WILL BE REMOVED WITHOUT FURTHER NOTICE OR COMMENT.

The following are explicitly forbidden: Any personal topics as well as any "funny" memes (there's Facebook and Tumblr for that) and videos, computer games, your favourite whatever (Youtube, and again, there's probably a Facebook group for that) etc. There's a lot of things out there on the web, so you'll easily find a place to hang out for those needs.

Offline Michi

• Galactic Brain
  • Hoist the colours!
    • Tableterror
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2019, 09:10:35 AM »
The moderation here is always very reasonable and never misses to explain why what is done, moderated or even locked. I never felt offended aund usually there is a warning shot before action is taken, if the discussion moves into an unappreciated direction. This is no censorship, but good gentlemanly behaviour, I'd say.
Thank you for the nice place to be, due to your work, moderators!  :)

Online Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2019, 09:28:46 AM »
Wargaming, wargaming, wargaming  8)  :)

To be honest, I barely notice the moderation. I suppose that means they are doing their job right.

As one of the affected parties (I started the thread about the Russian bot) I think that, while the contents were harmless, Chris took the right decision. The thread was indeed against the forum rules, even if I didn't realize it at the time. It wasn't related, even in passing, to wargaming. Of course, being a wargamer at the core, I couldn't stop thinking how interesting a boardgame of NSA vs Russian bots could be! But I disgress... Point is that I can assure you that I didn't take offence.

And well done for saying so  8)
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 0
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Offline Paratrooper 42

• Librarian
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2019, 09:54:17 AM »
I've not noticed any extreme moderation on the LAF.  To be fair I'm not here all that often, but on reflection, on the odd occasion where I may have overstepped the mark I've not been censored or moderated inappropriately

Offline armchairgeneral

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2019, 10:15:44 AM »
I also feel the moderation here is fair and reasonable when I notice it.

Offline Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2019, 10:20:22 AM »
The moderation here is fine, and maintains the atmosphere the LAF is known for. I think we've entered a very pessimistic age in online discourse (and within society on the whole due to current events, not to get too Real Worldy here) so it is very easy to get caught in a bit of a negativity bubble. For a while I even noticed some of my own posts were getting a bit negative (only within the GW thread to be fair) so have had to check myself a bit. There are a number of new members who seem to thrive on that sort of discussion, which is a shame, but moderation has stopped the feel of the forum from shifting.

Offline Arrigo

• Mastermind
  • errare humanum est, perseverare diabolicum est
    • Forward HQ my new blog where you can laugh at my crappy photos!
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2019, 11:17:12 AM »
The blanket ban is better than rules that get applied arbitrarily (I've found that, often, in other discussion places the rules never get applied to the moderator's friends but only to newcomers / people they don't like)

Have to agree, even if sometimes looks a bit too extreme... but well human beings are a bit too extreme.

I couldn't stop thinking how interesting a boardgame of NSA vs Russian bots could be!

basically saw one from a student and was not that great... and there is one from a really interesting chap that could be good, but he is not that keen in having it published (British old school wargamer,  he was close with Dr. Paddy Griffith, and he tend to keep everything at house rule level... sadly).
"Put Grant straight in"

for pretty tanks and troops: http://forwardhq.blogspot.com