Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:44:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Vietnam should be its own board.  (Read 1261 times)

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
Vietnam should be its own board.
« on: August 23, 2019, 04:55:40 AM »
There’s a BILLION posts for Viet Nam.

Why not make a specific board for it, as Cold War is definitely after that conflict?
It’s a beautiful thing, the destruction of words - Orwell, 1984

Offline Splod

• Mad Scientist
  • Flittering from one project to another
Re: Vietnam should be its own board.
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2019, 05:04:25 AM »
I understand that 'Nam fever seems to be dominant at the moment, but Vietnam is very firmly considered one of the 'Cold War' being one of the proxy wars against Communism rather than conflict between the super powers. Not only that, but the Cold War is generally accepted to encompass the period 1947 to 1991, so the conflict meets the time constraints also.

Maybe a sub-board could be appropriate? But then who's to say what gets a sub-board? I volunteer to moderate the 'all things Middle East from 1946 - now'  :D

Could I suggest just skipping over the threads if you're not a fan? Fortunately they're generally clearly marked so it's not as if you'll accidentally stumble into a Vietnam thread?

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2019, 06:15:29 AM »
I do ignore the VN posts - just think the sheer volume would justify a sub or board of its own.

Cold War is not Vietnam. Clearly.

Offline nandrin

• Librarian
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2019, 06:45:12 AM »
"The Conflicts that came in from the Cold" is just a cool name for the period covered. You can just as easy name it "all conflicts 1946-1991" but that sounds boring. The important thing is to know where to look when you search a specific topic. Vietnam is hot at the moment, but this will change. Maybe a subboard will be ok, but I think we had this discussion already.

I do ignore Nam posts, too, but I can live with that as long as the threads are named descriptive.

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2019, 07:12:48 AM »
I do ignore the VN posts
Not noticeably ^___^.

What you could do is post something on other areas of the Cold War.

There is a lot of excitement at the moment about Vietnam, I suspect there was a lot of excitement about Rogue Stars. Vietnam might have more staying power, but probably not enough to warrant a separate sub forum.

We had a discussion (last year?) about separating actual Cold War threads and Cold War period threads, but the decision was made to keep them together.

Now 28mm BAOR compatible with Under Fire would attract my attention (hint hint hint). ^___^.

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2019, 07:59:08 AM »
Down the slippery slope we go, or as another chap on another forum was fond of saying... ‘More boards, lovely!’

The Soviet Afghan War should have its own board, as should the Arab-Israeli Wars, everything set in Africa post 1945, Korea etc, etc.

I’m not sure how anyone could conclude that Vietnam was not part of the cold war. The very raison d'être of US involvement was the product of the Cold War mindset. Stopping the dominoes from falling and all that. The US pretty much saw it as the cold war fought by proxy. In turn the Soviet Union and China armed the North as a way of pursuing their own Cold War agenda.

If you define the Cold War as only belonging to the realm of Len Deighton or imagined Soviet juggernauts storming across the inter-German border, then you are painting with a very limited palette.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2019, 08:14:48 AM »
Personally I’d resist the temptation for a dedicated Vietnam board....as other posters have mentioned, as long as threads have Vietnam in the title you can ignore them if you don’t want to read.

Offline Arrigo

• Mastermind
  • errare humanum est, perseverare diabolicum est
    • Forward HQ my new blog where you can laugh at my crappy photos!
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2019, 05:15:02 PM »
sometimes sub-boards could be useful and I would not be opposed to one on Vietnam/Indochina... but the cold war started more or less in 48 if you want a clear cut date with Berlin's Blockade, you can argue it started when MacArthur told General Kuzma Derevyanko that a Soviet occupation zone on Hokkaido would not be tolerate by SCAP-J. Anyway Vietnam was a Cold War conflict...
"Put Grant straight in"

for pretty tanks and troops: http://forwardhq.blogspot.com

Andrew_McGuire

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2019, 05:39:25 PM »
The above arguments in favour of the Vietnam War being classed as a Cold War conflict - with which I am in agreement - don't even take into account that fighting in Vietnam - or Indo-China as it was then known - was underway long before the American involvement, and before World War II was even over, for that matter.

Offline Inkpaduta

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2019, 05:49:27 PM »
I get what you are saying but I would say no.
Vietnam is just the hot new thing right now.
A couple of companies put out new lines of figures and it
took off. If you go back a few years there was very little being
done with Vietnam.

I remember not that long ago in the Pulp section of LAF it was
non-stop Dracula's America. That has passed. Far fewer posts for it now.

Vietnam will soon pass too would be my guess.

Offline NickNascati

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2019, 05:54:52 PM »
There is a lot of excitement currently,  because of the several new ranges of figures that have appeared.  Once the furor dies down, so will the posts.

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2019, 06:55:42 PM »
Fair enough; it’s not that I don’t enjoy the VN posts.

Online Ash

• Mastermind
    • Ashley Straw.com
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2019, 06:58:14 PM »
Personally I like an active forum with lots of posts. It's not often you get to see so many people painting and posting the same minis, I'm really enjoying all the different  painting styles and finished results.