Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 01:52:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: First time multi-basing - question about final steps and varnishing  (Read 2800 times)

Offline Longshanks

• Schoolboy
Hi there!

First off I would like to apologize if this question has been addressed elsewhere - I did search the forums but I couldn't find any relevant or similar topics (maybe I'm just inept at using the search function).

I've recently started a HYW project using the Perry Agincourt to Orleans range of miniatures. My goal is to eventually create two large armies, one for the English and one for the French (with a contingent of Scots). I like the idea of multi-basing my units because it gives me more freedom in positioning each miniature and creates a more "organic" look to the ranks.

My problem is this is my first large historic project and my first attempt at multi-basing my miniatures and accordingly I am looking for guidance on a few steps I've never had to deal with before.

I should note that I've opted to paint my miniatures separate from the base with the intention of then, once the unit is completed, gluing the miniatures to the base and finishing the base. I should also note that I'll be using Vallejo texture paste/citadels stirland mud to serve as my primary basing material (rather than polyfilla or sand/other types of grit).

With all that said, my questions:

1) Do you prime the base before you glue your miniatures to it and start to apply your texture materials (or for those who use polyfilla for their basing material, do you apply a brush-on primer to the set paste before painting it)? I mainly ask this question due to the fact that I'll be using vallejo's texture paste/citadels stirland mud and I am wondering if these will have trouble adhering to an un-primed base.

2) When do you varnish your models? For those of you that paint your miniatures separately before attaching them to your unit bases, do you varnish your models each individually before attaching them to the base? Or do you attach them to the base, finish the base and THEN varnish? If the latter, do you also apply your varnish to the base (including static grass, terrain tufts etc.)? I'm not sure if it will make a difference but I plan to use Vallejo's brush-on Matte acrylic varnish to varnish my models. In the past I varnished using spray cans but I've found them to be too unreliable. I would also varnish before placing my static grass/terrain tufts from fear of "frosting" or "fogging" up the grass/tufts.

3) At what point do you attach your flags/standards to the standard bearer? Does this happen before or after varnishing? Also, do you varnish the flag after it has been set in place? I will be using GMB designs HYW flags for my standards and the only paint I'll be using on them is to paint over any white lines that show after I've pressed the two ends of the flag together.

Thank you for your time.

Offline The Inscrutable Dr. Huang

• Assistant
Re: First time multi-basing - question about final steps and varnishing
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2019, 04:12:04 PM »
I varnish the figures individually with QuickShade, mount them on  multi bases, finish the bases and apply a coat of matte sealers to the whole thing

Online Charlie_

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2019, 09:59:58 PM »
I varnish before basing, usually two coats of matt varnish spray.

Then glue them to the base, and add base texture, static grass and flock.

Then usually one final coat of varnish over the whole thing.

It's true that if you apply too many coats of spray varnish over static grass it does result in 'frosting', but I've found in the past it can take three coats before that happens (I've had problems with certain brands of varnish before and some models have been given four or more coats as I try to diagnose the problem, and eventually the grass frosting happens).

I spray prime the bases black before sticking the figures down, though it might well not be necessary.

I do paper flags last of all, and they don't get any varnish - I don't think it works well, but others may have different experiences. So the last stage is applying the flags, painting the paper edges and touching up where it's messes onto the flag pole.

Until recently though I've had my models singly based. I'm currently half way through as big rebasing process, so am quite new to mulit-basing myself.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2019, 03:02:59 AM »
Before basing:

Humbrol polyurethane paint on Gloss- can't be beaten.

Preferred Matt spray on- you really want a matt varnish that is *very* flat. Worth paying extra for. I usually have all my miniatures on corks so it is easy to cover the miniature in varnish, (light coats of matt building up gradually).

After basing:

Try to spray the base between the mini's but lightly so's not to saturate any on the figures.

In all cases leave any previous varnish to dry thoroughly before adding a new coat.

Some examples:

Kind Regards
« Last Edit: August 24, 2019, 05:00:19 PM by Atheling »

Offline Chriscornwell

• Assistant
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2019, 01:22:05 PM »
(At a rough guess I’ve multi-based about 5,000 28mm figures in the past year)
Apply spray varnish to figure after painting. Some folk do gloss first, then matt. I don’t bother. I just treat the figures with a bit respect.
Then add standards; spray varnish figures with standards. If you are feeling a bit ott you can brush gloss onto the standard first.
Glue figures onto multi base. Personal choice is Poundland superglue.
Apply basing materials carefully - I use a base of sand and woodglue, then paint and apply flock, grass, tufts etc again using wood glue. I’ve never varnished basing materials

Offline Neldoreth

• Mastermind
    • An Hour of Wolves and Shattered Shields
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2019, 05:05:57 PM »
Honestly, I don't bother varnishing my multi-based figs.

I primarily used varninsh - matte over gloss - to keep the figs from being damaged through handling during games. But with multi-based figs, the figures themselves never get touched, so I never bothered.

Thanks
n

Offline aphillathehun

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2019, 11:41:30 PM »
(At a rough guess I’ve multi-based about 5,000 28mm figures in the past year)

:o

I'm not worthy.....

Offline Dags

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2019, 01:51:06 AM »
Painted and varnished individually and then another coat of spray matt once everything was assembled.....

Standards were attached once the minis were based

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2019, 07:17:46 AM »
Painted and varnished individually and then another coat of spray matt once everything was assembled.....

Standards were attached once the minis were based

The matt varnish makes the world of difference aesthetically by flattening out the colours IMHO. Beauties Dags  8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Kind Regards

Online Charlie_

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2019, 09:11:34 AM »
Can anyone confirm that spraying matt varnish onto paper flags doesn't do anything weird to them?

I'm doing a bit of rebasing myself right now.

Offline Dags

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2019, 09:37:03 AM »
Never had any issue with that. Only problem I've had with paper flags is fading over the years
« Last Edit: August 25, 2019, 12:19:43 PM by Dags »

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2019, 09:37:29 AM »
Can anyone confirm that spraying matt varnish onto paper flags doesn't do anything weird to them?

If you print them from an inkjet printer then varnish matt it will make the colours bleed yes.

I have heard that (some types?) of lazer printers print so that the ink is permanent.

I've never had any trouble with LBMS or anything but I still always gloss then matt down with transfer based stuff too.

Hope that helps?

Kind Regards

Offline Chriscornwell

• Assistant
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2019, 06:14:35 PM »

Never had a problem. Occasionally I’ve had that thing when it goes slightly grey (humidity issue or some such) and you get into a total panic. The (initially counter-intuitive) solution being to simply re-spray and hey-presto everything is fine.

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2019, 07:14:08 AM »
I used to batch-paint, use Army Painter "dip" brushed on, and then matte varnish massive blocks of Naps - sure, not Medieval, but conceptually the same. I found that a quick pass of Future floor polish over the matte flags if they "frosted" would be fantastic. I used to colour-inkjet-copy my purchased banners "just in case". Never had a problem using this method.

Matte varnish used was Testor's Dullcote. Didn't like the Army Painter Matte very much, frankly.
It’s a beautiful thing, the destruction of words - Orwell, 1984

Offline Longshanks

• Schoolboy
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2019, 01:19:15 PM »
Thank you so much everybody, your responses have been SO helpful. I'll get started on varnishing, basing and "finishing up" the 60 or so miniatures I've stockpiled in my carrying case. I only have the camera on my phone and my work area doesn't have the best lighting for taking pictures, but I'll try to start posting pictures once I've got some units based and completed.

Charlie_ - Your re-basing thread is actually one that I've been following. You've got a beautiful collection!

Atheling - Your blog on your Verneuil project from several years ago was actually part of the inspiration that got me started on my own (I love your John Talbot figure in particular). I've always liked the finish of your miniatures so thanks for detailing you methods.

Dags - Gorgeous minis!

For those who use a really "matte" varnish, how do you find the matting effect affects your metallics? In the past I've always used Testors dullcote matte spray over a gloss coat and, while it leaves a great matte finish, I'm worried it might kill the look of my metallics by dulling them completely. This is why I had been considering switching to a satin or a matte varnish that doesn't dry completely matte.

Cheers,